all action pages >>
This page was last updated May 31, 2007, and is still a work in progress. To give your feedback, listings of prisoners, etc, email firstname.lastname@example.org with PRISONS in the subject line.
A more consistently maintained listing of political prisoners internationally is at: Earth Liberation Prisoners Support Network and North American Earth Liberation Prisoners Support Network
Prison Activist.org has a very well-organized and updated listing of political prisoners, as well as a prisoner resource page that has more in depth coverage of US political prisoners. For info on political prisoners incarcerated around the globe go to the breakthechains.net online Directory of Websites. The Earth Liberation Prisoner Support Network works internationally to provide information on people imprisoned for actions in defense of the earth and its inhabitants.
There are many Mail Restrictions you need to understand before beginning correspondence with an inmate. Houston ABC has compiled a page to help folks start writing to support folks who have been imprisoned for their political beliefs, and politically-motivated actions.
Below is a compilation of political prisoners mostly reprinted from the EF! Journal listing in the 2007 Beltane may/june issue. "The following is a small sample of the total number of political prisoners and prisoner support groups worldwide. Regulations for mail sent to prisoner vary according to individual prisons. Before sending monetary donations, stamps, books or packages, ask prisoners what the regulations are. Assume that the authorities read everything you write to a prisoner. When prisoners are wawaiting trial or sentencing, it is best not to discuss their cases or related topics with them. Although many prisoners are listed together, they must be written to separately. The EF! Journal offers discounted subscriptions for prisoners."
Prisoner and Legal Updates: (May '07)
- Mumia Abu-Jamal #AM8335, SCI Green, 175 Progress Dr, Waynesburg, PA 15370, USA. On May 17, 2007, The Federal Court of Appeals heard oral arguments to decide whether Abu-Jamal will get a new trial, life in prison without parole, or a new execution date. Abu-Jamal, a politically active jounalist, was framed for the murder of a cop in 1981. For more information, visit www.freemumia.org
- Rodney Coronado was released on March 23, have served eight months for his role in an EF! sabotage of a mountain lion hung. He is awaiting trial for allegedly telling people how to construct an incendiary device during a speech at an anikmal rights gathering. For more information, visit www.supportrod.org
- Josh Demmit has been released after serving 2.5 years for an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) arson of an animal-testing facility.
- Dave Blenkinsop was released in March, after serving 10 years for attacking the managing director of Huntington Life Sciences (HLS), liberating 600 guinea pigs and planign incendiary devices under slaugher-house vehicles.
- Wayne Bunch, VB7189, HMP Birmingham, Winson Green Rd, Birmingham, B184AS, UK, Sentenced in April to 12 months for sending threatening letters to a supplier of guinea pigs for vivisection.
- Marco Camenisch, Postfach 3143, CH-8105 Regensdorg, Switzerland. In March, the Swiss Supreme Court reduced Camenisch's 27 year sentence (for using explosives to target nuclear facility power lines and for the alleged murder of a Swiss border guard) to 18 yers. Camenisch reads French, German, Spanish and Italian fluently, as well as some English.
- Garfield Gabbard was released on march 7, having served 21 months for threatening to kick a security guard during and anti-vivisection protest.
- Joseph Harris, TN5728, HMP Bullingdon, Patrick Haugh Rd, Arncott, Nr Bicester, Oxon, OX25 1WD, UK. Serving 2 years for damaging the property of people associated with HLS. Harris has been mvoed to the above address.
- Jeffrey "Free" Luers, #13797671, OSP, 2605 State St, Salem, OR 97310, USA. On February 14, 2007, the Court of Appeals reversed Luers' sentence of 22 years and eight months for arson at an SUV dealership and for attempted arson of an oil truck. He is awaiting re-sentencing.
- Teresa Portwine, TM7153, and Suzanne Taylor, TM7154, HMP Cookham Wood, Rochester, Kent, ME1 #LU, UK. Sentenced in March '07 to 15 mo and 2.5 years, respectively, for their roles in a number of demonstrations outside the offices of companies linked to HLS.
- Mark Taylor, TT6636, HMP Belmarsh, Western Way, Thamesmead, London, SE28 OUB, UK. Sentenced in March to four years for his role in a number of demonstrations outside the offices of companies linked to HLS.
- John Wade was released in January, having served three years for a series of Earth Liberation Front )ELF) actions against McDonald's, Burger King, urban sprawl, the construction industry and an SUV dealership.
Awaiting Trial or Sentencing:
- Tre Arrow, CS#, Vancouver Island Regional Correction Center, 4216 Wilkinson Rd., Victoria, BC, V8Z 5B2 Canada. Appealing extradition to the US to stand trial for alleged involvement in the arsons of logging trucks and vehicles owned by a sand and gravel company.
- Sacramento Delfino Cano Hernandez and Oscar Santa Maria Caro, CERESO, Miahuatlan De Porfirio Diaz, Oaxaca en Hall B, Cell 5, Mexico. Awaiting trial on unknown charges stemming from the popular resistance in Oaxaca. Santa Maria is a known member of Resistance Against Animal Torture.
- Eric McDavid, X-2972521 4E231A, Sacramento County Main Jail, 651 I St, Sacramento, CA 95814, USA. Awaiting trial for alleged conspiracy to destroy the US Forestry Service's Institute of Forest Genetics, a dam, cell-phone towers and power plants.
- Daniel McGowan and Jonathan Paul await sentencing for a series of ALF/ELF actions.
- Briana Waters is free on bail, and awaits trial on September 17, for her alleged involvement in an ELF arson.
- Natha Block, #1663667 and Joyanna Zacher, #1662550, Lane County Jail, 101 W. 5th Ave, Eugene OR, 97401, USA. Scheduled to be sentenced on June 1 for involvement in a series of ALF/ELF actions.
- Jon Ablewhite, TB4885, John Smith, TB4887, and Kerry Whitburn, TB4886, HMP Lowdham Grange, Lowdham, Nottingham, NG14 7DA, UK. Serving 12 yeas for conspiracy to blackmail a supplier of guinea pigs for vivisection.
- Madeline Buckler, PR7492, HMP Morton Hall, Swinderby, Lincoln, LN6 9PT, UK, Serving two years for sending hate mail to a supplier of guinea pigs for vivisection.
- Jacob Conroy, #93591-011, FCI Victorville Medium I, POB 5300, Adelanto, CA 92301, USA> Serving four years for conspiracy charges stemming form his work with Stop Huntington Animal Cruelty (SHAC)
- Donald Currie, TN4593, HMP Whitemoor, Long Rd, March, Cambs, PR15 OPR, UK. Serving an "indefinite sentence" of at least six years - with no fixed release date or upper limit - for arson against targets linked with the vivisection industry.
- Darius Fullmer, #26397-050, FCI For Dix, POB 2000, Fort Dix, NJ 08640, USA. Serving one year for a conspiracy charge stemming from his work with SHAC.
- Lauren Gazzola, #93497-011, FCI danbury, Rte 37, Danbury, CT 06811, USA. Serving 4.3 years for conspiracty charges stemming from her work with SHAC.
- Sarah Gisborne, LT5393, HMP Cookham Wood, Rochester, Kent, ME1 3 LU, UK. Serving 5.5 years for conspiracy to damage vehicles owned by people linked to HLS.
- Joshua Harper, #29429-086, FCI Sheridan, POB 5000, Sheridan, OR 97378, USA. Serving three years for conspiracy charges stemming from his work with SHAC.
- Kevin Kjonaas, #93502-011, Unit I, FCI Sandstone, POB 1000, Sandstone, MN 55072, USA. Serving six years for conspiracy charges stemming from his work with SHAC.
- Josephine Mayo, PR6508, HMP Drake Hall, Eccleshall, Staffordshire, St21 6LQ, UK. Serving four years for conspiracy to blackmail a supplier of guinea pigs for vivisection.
- Andrew Stepanian, #26399-050, FCI Butner Medium II, POB 1500, Butner, NC 27509, USA. Serving three years for conspiracy charrges stemming from his work with SHAC.
- Marco Camenisch, Postfach 3143, CH-8105 Regensdorf, Switzerland. Serving 27 years for using explosives to target nuclear facility powerlines and for the alleged murder of a Swiss border guard. Camenisch reads French, German, Spanish and Italian fluently. He can also read some English.
- Ibai Ederra, Carcel de Pamplona, C/San Rogue Apdo 250, 31080-Irunez Pamplona, Navarra, Spain. Serving nearly five years for sabotaging machinery at the controversial Itoiz dam construction site.
- Jeffrey "Free" Luers, #13797671, OSP, 2605 State St, Salem, OR 97310, USA. Serving 22 years and eight months for arson at a car dealership and for the attempted arson of an oil truck.
- Helen Woodson, #03231-045, FMC Carswell Admin Max Unit, POB 27137, Ft. Worth, TX 76127, USA. Serving eight years and 10 months for violating her parole by dumping a cup of red paint over the security apparatus of a federal court and making warnings ("threats") of weapons of mass destruction. In March 2004, Woodson completed 20 years for disarming a Minuteman II missile silo with a jackhammer, mailing warning letters to officials with bullets inside, robbing a bank and burning the money.
- Byron Shane of Chubbuck Clan, #07909-051, USP Beaumont, POB 26030, Beaumont, Texas, North America. Serving 80 years for aggravated assault on federal agents, escape and bank robbery. Chubbuck funneled money that he stole from banks to the Zapatista National Liberation Army in Chiapas, Mexico. He has been moved to the above address.
- Leonard Peltier, #89637-132, USP Terre Haute, US Penitentiary, 4700 Bureau Rd South, Terre Haute, IN 47802, USA. Peltier, and American Indian Movement activist, is serving life in prison after being framed for the deaths of two FBI agents killed during the 1975 Pine Ridge siege. He has been moved for the third time this year to the above address. For more information visit www.leonardpeltier.org.
The "MOVE 9", members of an eco-revolutionary group, were framed for the murder of a cop and sentenced to 30 to 100 years each.
- Debbie Simms Africa, #006307, Janet Holloway Africa, #006308, and Janine Philips Africa, #006309, SCI Cambridge Springs, 451 Fullerton Ave, Cambridge Springs, PA, USA.
- Michael Davis Africa, #AM4973, and Charles Simms Africa, #AM4975, SCI Grateford, POB 244, Grateford, PA, USA.
- Edward Goodman Africa, #AM4974, SCI Mahonoy, 301 Morea Rd, Frackville, PA 17931, USA.
- William Philips Africa, #AM4984, and Delbert Orr Africa, #AM4985, SCI Dallas, Drawer K, Dallas, PA 18612, USA.
- Mumia Abu-Jamal, #AM8335, SCI Green, 175 Progress Dr, Waynesburg, PA, 15370, USA. Abu-Jamal, a politically active journalist, was framed for the murder of a cop in 1981.
- Fran Thompson, #1090915 HU 1C WERDCC, POB 300, Vanalia, MO, USA. Before receiving a life sentence in the early 1990's for shooting a stalker in self defense, Thompson was active in animal rights and environmental campaigns.
- Jose Perez Gonzalez, #21519-069, Federal Prison Camp, POB 725, Edgefield, SC, USA. Serving five years for conspiracy to destroy federal property during a May 2003 celebration of the end of the US military occupation of Vieques.
- Jose Velez Acosta, #23883-069, Federal Correctional Complex, US Penitentiary, POB 1033, Coleman, FL, USA. Serving two years and nine months.
Prisoner Support Groups:
- Earth Liberation Prisoners Support Network. email@example.com
- National Jericho Movement POB, Jamaica, NY 11434, USA.
- North American Earth Liberation Prisoners Support Network. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anarchist Black Cross Federation, www.abcf.net
- Anarchist Black Cross Network, www.anarchistblackcross.org
- Break The Chains Prisoner Support Group, POB 12122, Eugene, OR 97440, USA; www.breakthechains.net
- Earth Liberation Prisoners Support Network, www.spiritoffreedom.org.uk
- Free's Defense Network, POB 3, Eugene, OR 97440, USA; www.freefreenow.org