"They'll know where you live... They'll have your phone number... They'll come to your door ... if you let them. Military recruiters, by strict authority of the No Child Left Behind Act, must be given the names, addresses and phone numbers of all high school students each year. Want to keep your privacy? You can be removed from the list of names by 'opting-out.'" -- The Full Picture, San Francisco, California
WHY DOES IT MATTER?
The September, 2009 article in MOTHER JONES by David Goodman, entitled, "A Few Good Kids?," deals with the heavy military recruitment of at-risk (low-income and/or minority and/or less academic) youth and the insidious invasion of student privacy under the No Child Left Behind Act and JAMRS (consumer) database maintained by the Pentagon.
* Students must opt-out EVERY YEAR.
* Traditionally, the deadline for opting-out for the year is October 1.
* Students do NOT require parental or guardian consent to opt-out.
* Every high school student's personal information is being released to the military -- not just that of juniors and seniors. (However, high school students will probably not be contacted by the military recruiters till their junior and senior years.)
* Females are NOT exempt from the provision.
HOW CAN STUDENTS OPT-OUT?
* At registration -- before the beginning of the school year. There is a checkbox on the registration form that allow for opting-out.
* By going directly to the school main office and amending the registration form if the student has not checked the box to opt-out. (If a student does not remember whether he or she opted out or not, the student can go to the main office to verify the information on their form.)
* By submitting an opt-out form (either that supplied by Recruiter Watch volunteers or by download at http://www.themmob.org/lmca (Leave My Child Alone!).
ON-LINE RESOURCES FOR OPT-OUT
http://www.themmob.org/lmca (information, including opt-out forms, on Opt-Out and No Child Left Behind Act)
http://www.quakerhouse.org/documents/toparents.html (Sgt. Abe the Honest Recruiter speaks to parents -- in English and in Spanish!)
ALTERNATIVES TO MILITARY ENLISTMENT
The American Friends Service Committee has generously provide an on-line version of its very popular, IT'S MY LIFE: A GUIDE TO ALTERNATIVES AFTER HIGH SCHOOL, as a FREE computer download.
Click on Conscientious Objection.
Scroll down to Alternatives to Enlistment and click.
(Center on Conscience and War provides a state-by-state listing of alternatives to military enlistment.
HOW YOU CAN HELP?
* Educate yourself about truth-in-recruiting issues.
* Spread the word to people in your circles. Talk to your neighborhood teen and their family.
* Volunteer with a local truth-in-recruiting organization.
Any and all help is deeply appreciated.
PORTLAND TRUTH-IN-RECRUITING ORGANIZATIONS
Military & Draft Counseling Project - War Resisters League
"Take a stand against War and other forms of injustice." Offers counseling on issues such as conscientious objection; pre-enlistment; separation from the Delayed Entry Program (DEP); and draft registration/selective service requirements.
Free! We will not judge you or tell you what to do.
Recruiter Watch PDX
We educate youth and their families about the fine-print of the military enlistment contract (and there is A LOT of fine-print!), raise awareness of the poverty draft (i.e., why some of us are more dispensable and disposable than others); and provide concrete alternatives to military enlistment.
Thank you very much for any and all support. Back-to-school registration starts next week!