"They'll know where you live.... They'll have your phone number.... They'll come to your door ... if you let them. Military recruiters, by strict authority of the No Child Left Behind Act, must be given the names, addresses and phone numbers of all high school students each year. Want to keep your privacy? You can be removed from the list of names by 'opting-out.'" -- The Full Picture, San Francisco, California
* Students must opt-out EVERY YEAR.
* Traditionally, the deadline for opting-out for the year is October 1.
* Students do NOT need parental or guardian consent to opt-out.
* Depending upon the School District, potentially every high school students' personal information is being released to military recruiters -- not just that of juniors or seniors.
* Girls are NOT exempt from this provision.
HOW CAN STUDENTS OPT-OUT?
* At registration -- before the beginning of the school year. There is a checkbox on the registration form that allows for opting out.
* By going directly to their school main office and amending their registration form if they have not checked the box to opt-out. (If they don't remember whether they opted-out or not, students can go to the main office to verify the information on their form.)
* By submitting an opt-out form (either that supplied by Recruiter Watch volunteers or by download at http://www.themmob.org/lmca ) to their school's main office.
ON-LINE RESOURCES ON OPT-OUT:
http://www.themmob.org/lmca (Leave My Child Alone!) (Information on opt-out and the No Child Left Behind Act, as well as the Pentagon consumer-based database being kept on youth between the ages of 16 and 26, JAMRS)
The September, 2009 article in MOTHER JONES by David Goodman, entitled, "A Few Good Kids?," deals with the heavy military recruitment of at-risk (low-income and/or minority and/or less academic) youth and the insidious invasion of student privacy under No Child Left Behind.
ALTERNATIVES TO MILITARY ENLISTMENT?
The American Friends Service Committee has generously provided an on-line version of its very popular IT'S MY LIFE: A GUIDE TO ALTERNATIVES AFTER HIGH SCHOOL as a FREE computer download.
link to afsc.org
Center on Conscience has a state-by-state listing of alternatives to military enlistment.
Click on Conscientious Objection. Scroll down to Alternatives to Enlistment and click.
WANT TO HELP?
Talk to your family, your neighbors and the youth in your circles and communities about the effects of militarization on the victims and the perpetrators!
Remind high school youth about the opt-out provision on their high school registration form. High school registration starts next week!
Educate yourself and share your knowledge with others! A list of helpful resources will be listed after this announcement.
Volunteer with local truth-in-recruiting organizations, such as Military & Draft Counseling Project - War Resisters League and Recruiter Watch PDX.
PORTLAND, OREGON TRUTH-IN-RECRUITING ORGANIZATIONS
Miltary & Draft Counseling Project - War Resisters League
"Take a stand against war and other forms of injustice." Offers counseling on issues such as conscientious objection, pre-enlistment, separation from Delayed Enlistment (DEP) and draft registration/selective service requirements.
Free! We will not judge you or tell you what to do.
Recruiter Watch PDX
Since the summer of 2005, Recruiter Watch PDX has worked to limit military recruitment in Portland area schools; educate youth, parents and communities about the realities of war and military life; and present concrete alternatives to the military. We challenge the "poverty draft" in which military recruiters excessively target low-income youth and people of color and believe through education we can greatly reduce the heightened militarism and war culture in our schools.
Thanks very much.