Experiments with cress in 9th Class attracts international attention
Forsøg med karse i 9. klasse vækker international opsigt
16th May, 2013
View original Danish article and pictures
Google translate version below
Take 12 times 400 karsefrø and group them into 12 bins. Then place six trays in two rooms at the same temperature. Give hills same amount of water and sun over 12 days, and remember so just to finish exposing half of them for mobile radiation.
ALSO READ DOCUMENTATION: Here is the report behind cress project
It is a recipe for a biology test so brilliantly that it has attracted international attention among acknowledged biologists and radiation experts. Behind the experiment are five girls from 9b in Hjallerup School in North Jutland, and it all started with that they found it difficult to concentrate per hour:
- We all think we had experienced having difficulty concentrating in school, if we had slept with the phone next to your head, and sometimes also experienced having difficulty sleeping, explains Lea Nielsen, who is one of the five aspiring researchers.
The school was not equipped to test the effect of mobile phone radiation on them, but it was enough in fact very well. Therefore, the girls had to find an alternative. And the answer was karsefrø.
Six trays seeds were put into a room without radiation, and six trays were put into another room next to two routers. Such a broadcast about the same type of radiation as an ordinary mobile.
The "healthy" cress without influence from the router. Photo: The girls from 9b
Then it was just to wait 12 days, observe, measure, weigh and take pictures along the way. And the result spoke his clear language: cress seeds next to the router was not grown, and some of them were even mutated or dead.
- It is truly frightening that there is so much influence, so we were even very marked by the result, says Lea Nielsen.
The "sick" cress exposed to router. Photo: The girls from 9b
The experiment secured the girls the finals in the competition "Young Scientists", but it was only the beginning. Renowned scientists from England, Holland and Sweden has since shown great interest in the girls' project so far.
From left: Lea Nielsen, Mathilde Nielsen, Signe Nielsen, Sisse Coltau and Rikke Holm. Photo: Kim Horsevad
The renowned professor at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Olle Johansson, is one of the impressed researchers. He will now repeat the experiment with a Belgian research colleague, Professor Marie-Claire Cammaert at the Université libre de Bruxelles, for the trial, according to him, absolutely brilliant:
- The girls are within the scope of their knowledge and skills implemented and developed a very elegant job. The wealth of detail and accuracy is exemplary, choosing the right cress is very intelligent, and I could go on, he says.
He is not slow to send them an invitation on the road:
- I sincerely hope that they spend their future professional life to researching, because I definitely think they have a natural aptitude for it. Personally, I would love to see the people in my team!
No mobile by the bed
The five girls from northern Jutland has not yet decided their future careers. They are still very caught over all the sudden attention.
- It has been such a constant sum of the stomach. I still can not understand it, says Lea Nielsen.
And Mathilde Nielsen offers in:
- It's totally overwhelming and exciting. It's not something you just experience every day.
But there have also been other consequences of cress trial, which is quite low-practice nature.
- None of us sleep with the phone next to the bed more. Either the subject far away, or it is added in another room. And the computer is always off, says Lea Nielsen.
Documentation and a picture of the girls who did the experiment (again, in Dutch) at: