newswire article reporting global

actions & protests | imperialism & war

LETTER FROM A DYING VET To: George W. Bush and Dick Cheney

More and More our National Guardsmen/Women are speaking out after they have discovered the duplicity of being led to believe they were fighting for America when in fact they were fighting NEVER ENDING PROXY WARS for BIG CORPORATE BANKING. Coming home disabled finding VA BENEFITS have been Altered from the Original Purpose and Intent, further finding they as National Guardsmen were sent outside the Continential Limits of the U.S.A. under False and Misleading Operations conducted by Private Corporations such the US and UK Corporations aka the Federal Reserve by the Central Intelligence Agency Ltd., coming home with broken bodies contaminated with DU contaminating their families and offspring.  http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2013/03/422418.shtml
Mrs. Col. Russell Herrmann/Herrman/Herman, Widow
To: George W. Bush and Dick Cheney
From: Tomas Young
I write this letter on the 10th anniversary of the Iraq War on behalf of my fellow Iraq War veterans. I write this letter on behalf of the 4,488 soldiers and Marines who died in Iraq. I write this letter on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of veterans who have been wounded and on behalf of those whose wounds, physical and psychological, have destroyed their lives. I am one of those gravely wounded. I was paralyzed in an insurgent ambush in 2004 in Sadr City. My life is coming to an end. I am living under hospice care.

I write this letter on behalf of husbands and wives who have lost spouses, on behalf of children who have lost a parent, on behalf of the fathers and mothers who have lost sons and daughters and on behalf of those who care for the many thousands of my fellow veterans who have brain injuries. I write this letter on behalf of those veterans whose trauma and self-revulsion for what they have witnessed, endured and done in Iraq have led to suicide and on behalf of the active-duty soldiers and Marines who commit, on average, a suicide a day. I write this letter on behalf of the some 1 million Iraqi dead and on behalf of the countless Iraqi wounded. I write this letter on behalf of us all—the human detritus your war has left behind, those who will spend their lives in unending pain and grief.

I write this letter, my last letter, to you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney. I write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power. I write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done. You may evade justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young Americans—my fellow veterans—whose future you stole.

Your positions of authority, your millions of dollars of personal wealth, your public relations consultants, your privilege and your power cannot mask the hollowness of your character. You sent us to fight and die in Iraq after you, Mr. Cheney, dodged the draft in Vietnam, and you, Mr. Bush, went AWOL from your National Guard unit. Your cowardice and selfishness were established decades ago. You were not willing to risk yourselves for our nation but you sent hundreds of thousands of young men and women to be sacrificed in a senseless war with no more thought than it takes to put out the garbage. This must read article continues  link to dangerousminds.net

People who stay out of the US Military aren't cowards. They're just smart. 20.Mar.2013 07:48

Viva La Conceptione

Tomas Young's letter insightfully reveals the US Military as a bad deal for everybody but the Capitalists.

People who stay out of the US Military aren't cowards. They're just smart.

A guaranteed way to stay out of the military 20.Mar.2013 18:40

anon

I feel bad for the awful experience Tomas is going through but he should have followed my father's advice: Don't join the military.

It seems like that would have been his explicit advice as well but I don't see it in his letter - I guess it's implied?

You Can't Do Anything Because You Are Unaware Of This 20.Mar.2013 21:54

blues

@Viva La Conceptione 21.Mar.2013 02:33

J. Garand

What's cowardly is demonizing a large swath of people without at least sitting down and talking with a person representative of that group. You got to hear vets out. You will hear how they got to where they are from where they were.

Talking with people out side of your crew about who they are might not change your position or theirs but it will show you and them each other's humanity. Without this kind of engagement your group will risk becoming a hate group without even knowing it.

@J. Garand; You Said It Perfectly 21.Mar.2013 06:34

blues

The veterans got the worst deal, but we have all been totally sold down the river by our millionaire bosses. With some age and experience most people will learn that life is far too complex to fault people for decisions that lead to bad situations. Nothing was more detrimental to the old peace movement than foolish people putting down war veterans. The vast majority of anti-war demonstrators were never critical of the veterans. They were not the problem. The politicians (who we never truly elected) and their rich masters are the problem.

Thanks Blues 21.Mar.2013 12:09

Fidelity

That was sobering and accurate - Garand's comment too.

@Anon - did you father know Thomas? I doubt it. In any case, I've done a lot of counter-recruiting, and you absolutely cannot convince some people not to join the military. Absolutely no one could have convinced me not to, as I knew it was my calling since I was a very young child. The desire of military service is a human attribute, philosophers going back to at least Aristotle recognized this. Some people just really want to learn the skills that only the military teaches. Even without a standing army, in countries that have never been imperialistic or sought conquest, there are militias and people who come together to teach these skills.

I'm not anti-Military if the cause is just. 21.Mar.2013 20:47

Viva La Conceptione

I'm not anti-Military if the cause is just.

I've earned a lot of money and paid a lot of taxes in my time, and if I could withdraw all of that tax-money that I paid to the US Government and give it to the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, and to the veterans of the Iraqi and Afghani insurgencies, I would do so in a New York Minute.

The USA Owes Massive Compensation to Afghanistan and Iraq 21.Mar.2013 22:58

Viva la Conceptione

As part of a War Crimes Settlement, the US Government should be required to pay one million dollars to every citizen of Afghanistan and Iraq. A million dollars is scant compensation for ruining someone's life. I know that figure is probably not enough to truly compensate the Afghanis and the Iraqis for their losses and suffering, but it might have to do.

The current population of Afghanistan numbers about 30,000,000.

The current population of Iraq numbers 31,130,000.

Each of the two countries has several million refugees now living in other nations, which might increase the combined total for the two countries up to as much as 70,000,000.

So that would be 70 trillion dollars in compensation that the USA owes to the people of Afghanistan and Iraq. That sounds fair to me. It would pretty effectively prevent the US Government from ever doing anything like that again.

Of course, that level of compensation would bankrupt the USA and make the US dollar become worthless, so the Afghanis and Iraqis should probably demand their compensation in gold, silver, platinum, uranium, and other durable commodities.

To help pay the compensation to Afghanistan and Iraq, the USA could sell Hawaii and California to the Chinese.

If you're thinking about the 9/11 Attacks, the US Government did that too.

No justice, no peace.