OCCUPY PORTLAND, NOT AFGHANISTAN
The events revive a collaboration between Occupy Portland the peace and social justice groups established in 2011 when the ten years in Afghanistan march and rally coincided with the occupations of Lownsdale and Chapman Squares downtown.
Weekend of October 6 and 7
Money for Jobs, Education, Health Care, Housing and the Environment -- Not War!
End the Wars and Occupations -- No Nukes, No Drones!
Main Street, not Wall Street -- Power to the People!
Restore Constitutional Rights!
Saturday, October 6
Rally (with music and tabling) and march -- noon to 5:00 p.m.
Gather at noon at Shemanski Park (South Park Blocks at Salmon)
March is anticipated to end at 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, October 7
Portland Community College-Cascade Campus (N. Albina and Killingsworth)
noon to 5:00 p.m.
noon -- Opening Panel
1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Workshops I (choose one)
1. The Imposition of Order through Violence: United States in the Muslim World (PCC-Cascade Peace and Conflict Studies Department)
2. Alternatives to Capitalism and War (Freedom Socialist Party/Pacific Green Party)
3. Peak Oil and Empire (KBOO Community Radio)
4. War Tax Resistance 101 (War Resisters League)
5. Where's the Money? (Occupy Portland/People's Budget Project)
3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Workshops II (choose one)
1. End Wars and Occupations -- No Nukes, No Drones! (Women's International League for Peace and Freedom - Portland)
2. To Defend Afghan Women, End the War (Radical Women)
3. The Surveillance Security State (KBOO Community Radio)
4. Cascadia Bioregion/Free Cascadia (Cascadia Occupy Group)
5. Nonviolent Conflict Resolution (American Friends Service Committee and Military & Draft Counseling Project - War Resisters League)
Note: There will be food available at the teach-in, which is free. Occupy Portland asks that you bring a canned food donation as a "food-raiser" to help feed the hungry and houseless in the community. As we are unsure of the number of attendees at this time, you may wish to bring your own personal food and snacks as well.