Harvest Leader Overview:
Harvesting parties bring people together to harvest fruit that might otherwise go to waste, and make it available to people in need. Each harvesting party is co-led by 2 volunteer Harvest Leaders. Harvest leaders are responsible for overseeing and leading harvest participants, distributing harvested fruit, and keeping accurate harvest records. The Portland Fruit Tree Project will provide all of the necessary training, materials, and support. Each Leader is expected to co-lead at least 5 harvesting parties in the 2012 harvest season (July - November).
Harvest Leader Responsibilities:
- Attend Harvest Leader training (Thursday July 12th, 5pm - 9pm, or Saturday, July 21st, 10am-4pm) If you cannot attend one of these trainings, we may be able to arrange an alternate training date.
- Co-lead at least 5 harvesting parties in the 2012 Harvest Season (July-November)
- Oversee harvest participants, coordinate logistics, and facilitate introductions, safety talk and wrap-up during harvesting parties.
- Coordinate delivery of 50% of harvested fruit to a local food pantry
- Keep thorough records and submit Harvest Reports to PFTP staff promptly.
- Attend mid-season Harvest Leader meeting (Wednesday, August 29th, 6:00-7:30pm)
- Complete year-end survey and report (December)
- Celebrate! Attend year-end celebration and volunteer appreciation event in December 2012 (optional).
Request an application by calling 503-284-6106, or send an email to bob[at]portlandfruit.org, with 'Harvest Leader Application Request' in the subject line.
We'll send you an application right away. Applications are due Friday, June 29th.