newswire article reposts global

animal rights

Canada's Commercial Seal Slaughter Explained

What you should know about the largest annual slaughter of marine mammals on earth.

Countless baby seals already have died because sea ice is rapidly melting, and yet the Canadian government still allows sealers to slaughter what surviving pups they can find. In fact, they have set this year's harp seal kill quota at an extreme 400,000 seals.

No matter how you look at it, the Canadian seal slaughter doesn't add up. See for yourself on our seals infographic, then share it with others and let the numbers do the talking»

In just days, seals face a massive slaughter in numbers too big to ignore. Let's show the Canadian government and its fishing industry the power we have in our numbers.

Thanks for doing your part for baby seals.

homepage: homepage: http://www.humanesociety.org/

Yeah, save the baby caryopsi! 30.Mar.2012 10:40

kili

Countless baby Zea Mays are killed every time there is a commercial harvest.

Seriously… what is the deal with you? 30.Mar.2012 20:30

Killing Time.

Are you honestly trying to compare this? —>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caryopsis

Compared to this? —>  http://www.canadiansealhunt.com/pictures.html

Scapegoats for Overfishing... sound familiar?  http://www.canadiansealhunt.com/scapegoats.html

Are you aware that much of the time they skin these baby Seals while they are STILL ALIVE AND THEIR MOTHERS ARE FORCED TO WATCH THE MASSACRE/BLOODBATH? DO YOU NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT???
Stop the Seal Hunt  http://jasonmighty.blogspot.com/2009/02/seal-hunt-2009.html

I really cannot understand the disconnect you're having with relation to this subject.

I'm worried for you... if you cannot see the difference with regard to pain and suffering... violence/murder inflicted (relating to the Plants vs. Animals "thinking/feeling debate"). There is a difference between plants and animals with regard to the pain and suffering they feel. For instance... HUMANS are ANIMALS (and from my own perspective humans are definitely not the most 'intelligent species' of animals from observation & historical study). Do you think that human suffering should be comparable and the equivalent to that of the pain/torture of say... . that which is inflicted upon a PLANT with regard to the level of pain and suffering they feel compared to us? Do you think plants are as SENTIENT as humans?

Do you think stepping on a Cat or a Dog (and harming them 'intentionally') is the equivalent to stepping on a Daffodil/flower or a Cabbage/vegetable? There is a DIFFERENCE.

I MEAN REALLY. Be honest. Can you in all seriousness... compare the two with regard to 'intentional harm inflicted' in terms of 'being equivalent' rather than thinking about it being more wrong and worse in one case than in the other?

Obviously, you feel very strongly about this otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing it up in various different threads on the newswire.

Food for thought—> Research *SENTIENT BEINGS*. Learn the difference. Because seriously, there is one. People who do not have 'feelings or compassion' for the grief, pain and suffering of other (Animals) scare me.

My best friend in the world, my animal companion/Dog who was with me constantly for 12 years from the time he was a baby puppy and was almost always by my side... recently passed over. He was always compassionate towards me if ever I was injured or in pain. He CARED about my well-being more than I can ever say (or really do justice of putting into words the extent of HIS COMPASSION—> HIS LOVE WAS ETERNAL and INFINITE). If ever I was in grief for whatever reason he was always extra attentive and affectionate because he wanted me to feel better... ***HE WANTED TO TAKE AWAY MY PAIN***. I am unable to explain the depth of his kind gentle disposition/Soul and unselfish character that was his nature (I cannot "put into human words" WHO HE WAS (IS). He expressed his compassion towards me whenever I was hurting. He expressed his compassion towards our Cat companions; he was so gentle, loving and considerate of their feelings ALWAYS. He expressed his actions of Love in such a deep way and I am unable to convey in words the bond we had. He could 'read me like a book' and I really believe I learned so much about life through him and because of our connection (by my being blessed by being able to share the gift of his life—> knowing him was 'priceless' and because of him I grew as a person). His intelligence, kindness, generosity, forgiveness and gentleness knew no bounds. He was the most kind-hearted creature I have ever had the privilege of being able to know. He made me a better person and taught me so much. The void of his loss and absence is profound and difficult beyond description. I realize death is a part of life and I always knew the dreaded day would eventually come around when we would have to say goodbye. I just never imagined how incredibly shattering it would be once I suffered from him being gone and not in my life (physically anyways)... and him not being here to comfort me as he always did in the past when I was in pain/grief.

If given the chance we can learn so much from the 'diversity of animal life' on Earth. It is through our connection to animals that we GROW as individuals and develop our passion for Animal Rights and Justice. It is also due to our growth as humans in understanding the true depth of animal's "being-ness" that we recognize and are revolted by the total lack of respect and lack of compassion that is expressed at times through the vile and heartless actions of our "fellow man" towards other species/creatures whom we SHARE the planet with.

We can learn so much from animals if we only learn patience and take the time to *give them a chance to share their knowledge* (before it's too late). The value of animals should be realized in terms of the fortune we gain in having their *prolonged existence* in the World. If only we as a species would refrain from annihilating them from the face of the Earth and STOP continuing down the 'death-spiral-path' of FORCING THEIR BLOODY EXTINCTION.

Instead of hatefully and maliciously clubbing baby Seals or striking a spiked blow to the head by stabbing them with a pick axe, ripping off their skin while they cry out in horrific agony— all the while their Mothers try in vain to defend them... only to be, unfortunately much of the time, they end up becoming slaughtered victims as well when they get in the way of "modern progress"... our so-called "civilization". It is time for humans to grow beyond the killing point of "inhumanity". It is time for humans to live in HARMONY WITH NATURE. Instead of acting like a "disease" we can defend the natural world and we can work in solidarity to defend and evolve by working with and becoming an *ACT AND FORCE OF NATURE* for good, kindness and RESPECT for the planet. By working together we are invincible in overcoming the forces of Imperialism/"Mass-Corporate-Consumption-World" that is "grinding up and spitting out" the natural world and consumes and uses every facet of it and only regards other creatures as "resources"/"commodities" to be oppressed and exploited for so-called mass "false-profit" $$$.

Be a VOICE for the voiceless and CARE.
RESPECT THEIR LIVES.

COMPASSION FIRST.
FREE~*
FREE~*
YOUR~*
YOUR~*
MIND~*
MIND~*

my problem 31.Mar.2012 06:12

kili

Im sure people said the same thing to you when you started trying to protect animals. How does it feel to be in that position?

Life feeds on life feeds on life. Even plants want to live.

interesting 31.Mar.2012 06:18

kili

Also I find it interesting how and where you draw your imaginary line on what and who it is important to protect. Agriculture kills entire ecosystems.

And I am a very compasionate person, I dont like to see anything suffer, but I understand that for me or you to live other organisms have to die. Does it matter wether they are cuddly or photsynthetic?

question 31.Mar.2012 06:33

kili

So what about shrimp? Is it ok to kill shrimp? They dont cry for thier mommies. Or frogs, the parents lay the eggs and forget about them, is it ok to kill them? Your selection of animals is very anthropocentric and maybe a little narcisitic.

as for the process 31.Mar.2012 16:27

kili

When you boil an ear of corn, you are boiling hundreds of baby corn while they are still alive, and when you convert land to agriculture you are killing of all of the animals, including soil fauna, killing all of the native plants, the watershed, and all of the people killed to import the oil needed to fertilize the land. Eat some more soy and tell me how much suffering you have avoided.

not this non-sense again.. 31.Mar.2012 22:49

##

"When you boil an ear of corn, you are boiling hundreds of baby corn while they are still alive.."

Their is NO evidence that corn is sentient. Good job using pseudoscience as a justification for animal exploitation.

"when you convert land to agriculture you are killing of all of the animals, including soil fauna, killing all of the native plants, the watershed, and all of the people killed to import the oil needed to fertilize the land."

Animal husbandry requires MORE agriculture and MORE resource consumption. If you were truly concerned about reducing the impact of agriculture you wouldn't be defending animal industry.

omission 01.Apr.2012 17:28

kili

I noticed you didnt want to comment on my questions about shrimp and frogs.

As for animals, there were between 60-100 million bison in north america before the coming of agriculture and there were healthy ecosystems.

A quick note many of the essential vitamins are only found in animal flesh. How is you malnutrion going?

broken record 01.Apr.2012 18:50

##

@ killi
Vegans are just as opposed to the exploitation of shrimp and frogs as we are to the exploitation baby seals. And your point is.....

Why do you continue to cite the evils of agriculture as an argument against veganism, when the system of animal husbandry that you are advocating for would require more agriculture and resource consumption?

wow did you read my post? 02.Apr.2012 18:19

kili

You also didnt repond to my question about your malnutrition.
You seem to dodge the uncomfortable questions.

another thought 02.Apr.2012 18:57

kili

some responses 02.Apr.2012 22:59

##

"You also didnt repond to my question about your malnutrition."

I couldn't respond to your question about "how my malnutrition is going" because I'm not malnourished, nor have I ever been.

"You do know that the system that tortures animals be feeding then things they arent supposed to eat and making them live on horrible conditions is the same system that produces all of your "suffering free" food."

That is not a coherent sentence. It literally makes no sense, so I can't answer it.

"Would you please answer my questions directly instead of evading them or attacking me."

First of all I never once attacked you personally, I only attacked your arguments. I mean that is sort of what debate is all about, right? Secondly I'm not evading. See I have this thing called a life and a job. I don't have the time or ability to sit around on indymedia all day and instantaneously respond to your arguments.

"I said kill, not exploit and I am definately not advocating animal hisbandry. My point is that a vegan/vegetarian diet is far more destructive than just killing and eating animals. I agree with you that the way most meat is producded is bad in all ways, but that dosent mean that eating animals is bad, while agriculture far more destructive in an incredible scale. "

so this is how you do it 03.Apr.2012 05:02

kili

Wow, you should be a politician.

You addressed everything, but didn't answer anything.

Lets start simple. The vitamins A and D can only be obtain naturally from animal flesh and your body doesn't produce vitamin A and not enough vitamin D. If you are a vegan/vegetarian how do you get those vitamins?

"The consumption of animal products in todays modern industrialized society necessarily requires animal husbandry and agriculture. The hunter and gatherer method could not feed the over 6 billion people on this planet. You could not--at least for the time being--hope to support 6 billion people on a meat based diet without factory farming, intense confinement, and industrial agriculture. So by advocating the consumption of animal products you are by default supporting a system of animal exploitation and ecological destruction, that dwarfs any potential negative consequences of a vegan plant based diet."

No it does not dwarf, or hobbit, any potential negative consequences of agriculture. The part of industrial meat production that is so destructive is the part where they are feeding the animals annual grains, the same ones that would be requires to feed everyone in the world if we adopted a vegan diet.

Next what is going to happen to the world, that is on a vegan diet, when the world runs out of petroleum (i.e. fertilizer)? Because we are eating oil at this point.