The idea for opening a radical thrift store here in Portland is based on the model created by the awesome Treasure City Thrift Collective in Austin, Texas. Check out their website: www.treasurecitythrift.org
Wouldn't it be amazing if we had something like that here in Portland? Well, come to a meeting on Friday, August 19 at 7:00pm at the Red and Black Cafe and let's get the ball rolling! Someone from Austin will be at the meeting to talk about Treasure City and answer questions. RSVP on facebook and INVITE YOUR FRIENDS: www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=182253548509204
A little more about Treasure City:
"Treasure City utilizes a sustainable economic model to show solidarity and provide material resources to groups working for grassroots change."
* TC is a radical economic experiment based on a collective model, using consensus decision-making. There are no bosses here!
* TC aims to provide material, promotional and financial support for local grassroots projects by selling local and donated goods at a fair price.
* TC's goal is to provide material, financial and promotional support to groups working for grassroots change, to help them become more financially stable and continue their good work in our communities.
* TC will support all local communities, many of whom are historically marginalized and neglected, by providing community space, education resources and inspiration.
* TC is part of a growing network of cooperatives, collectives, and independent businesses in Austin that are working together to create a just, democratic, and sustainable world.
* TC has a commitment to economic and environmental sustainability
* TC transforms waste into resources which benefit our communities.
* TC believes in Solidarity not Charity