portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article announcements oregon & cascadia

energy & nuclear | health

the air you breath, the water you drink, your ocean, even the rain is radioactive...

but nobody seems to care???
I used to live in Portland for many years and I know there are many activists and people who are involved on local and world issues. But I am very surprised, since I have been reading indymedia for years, that almost nobody is talking about the Fukushima nuclear disaster even here on portland indymedia. As you read this, your air, your water, your ocean, your crops are getting polluted irrecoverably by the nuclear industry. But everybody seems business as usual. Now I am not encouraging people to panic or lay down and die, but don't you think there is something very serious going on?

After Japan, the radiation fallout is affecting the West coast of the US the most. You are getting rained on with Cesium, Iodine, Uranium, Plutonium, Xenon and many other radioactive material and... really, I understand why the mass media is not talking about it, but why isn't the alternative media alerting people about it? There is a radiation plum fast approaching the west coast, it may even be there right now. Is it raining in Oregon? Is your child going to get rained on? What will you do? don't you want to know how to deal with this situation?

In case you are not getting it yet read this article:
Radiation Detected In Drinking Water In 13 More US Cities, Cesium-137 In Vermont Milk
 link to blogs.forbes.com

There are things you can do to at least minimize the effects of radiation. But you need to be aware first. Not to mention that by now there should be protests to shut down every single nuclear plant in the US. I'd rather have less energy or less production or less money, than be dead, or worst yet, dying from radiation slowly.

You can check the levels of radiation in your water rain and milk daily here:
and here

although I don't know how much I trust them.

On March 25 the EPA detected Iodine 131 in the rain in Portland at the leves of 86.8 pCi/liter. The maximum standard for drinking water is 3 pCi/liter. So if you are collecting rain water to water your garder or your animals etc. they are getting almost 30 times above the human limit, and then you are getting it if you eat them. And eventually it will get in the drinking water sooner or later, probably in lower levels.

In many other states, including Washington, California and Idaho it is much worst. Oregon has either been very lucky or they are hiding date. Because there has been very little testing done, compared to all other cities I have looked at. Maybe you should be pressing them to do more testing???

The EPA has shut down 8 of the 18 stations that are reading the radioactive fallout in the US, because they were reading too high of radiation levels. They said they weren't working properly... right.

In the last few days there is something going on with the Fukushima nuclear plant and the media is completely silent. Have you heard anything about it? Just looking at the Fukushima nuclear plant's web cam, there was tons of smoke coming out on Saturday and again after the latest earthquake Monday up to now. You can look at the web cam here
 link to www.woweather.com

That means another large radioactive cloud will be coming your way. You should be aware so that you don't get caught out in the rain and don't walk into your home wearing wet clothes full of radiation that will then be everywhere inside your house.

Anyway... I leave you with this sort video to watch. Maybe it will make the point and you will wake up. This is life after Fukushima...

Radioactive Rainwater in Saint Louis Missouri Makes Geiger Counter Go NUTS!
 link to blog.alexanderhiggins.com

PS: You should be getting reverse osmosis water systems installed in your homes... yesterday, unless you don't mind drinking radiation with your water. It can remove 99% of radiation from the water. then if you put it through a regular carbon filter it removes the rest of the 1%. At least you will have clean water. One small fact... Iodine 131 has a half life of 8 days, when exposed in the air. But when inside your body it has a half life of 100 days. Cesium-137 has a half life of 30 years. Plutonium has a half life of 24,000 years.

Well good luck. I hope that you start talking about this very important issue, that is affecting the entire planet, but most of all Japan, and then U(S). You should be getting together with your people, organize community meetings, make people aware, and if, just if we come out of this one alive, you should definitely shut down the nuclear plants in Oregon.

ihSuoiJiarIBDMxkvs 04.Jul.2011 23:23

DozBTqmzbNhrJCJ e.qostemiey@apache.ph

Kudos to you! I hadn't thouhgt of that!