portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article reposts united states

anti-racism

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness

The United States now imprisons a higher percentage of black men than South Africa at the height of apartheid. Ask Obama why.
Jarvious Cotton's great-great-grandfather could not vote as a slave. His great-grandfather was beaten to death by the Klu Klux Klan for attempting to vote. His grandfather was prevented from voting by Klan intimidation; his father was barred by poll taxes and literacy tests. Today, Cotton cannot vote because he, like many black men in the United States, has been labeled a felon and is currently on parole.

 link to www.thenewpress.com

Reckon Obama would know why? 02.Jan.2011 19:04

monique abu-jamal

Do you think that he would come up with the correct answer? I wonder if he would admit that the Klan involved in the intimidation was an almost totally comprised of democrats. That the democrats filibustered the civil rights amendment giving equal rights to blacks. Wonder if he would admit that. Labeling black men felons and putting them on parole is just wrong since they did absolutely nothing to earn that label. We all know that black men are just herded up and put in jail simply for the hell of it, cause they are, well, black and shit we can't have upstanding citizens like Cotton deprived of the ability to vote simply because whitey and uncle tom have labeled him a felon.

You don't have to have any since of truth supported by facts to be an idiotic progressive like Michelle, you just have to spout victim class bullshit that is so stunningly stupid that it flies in the face of obvious logic.

12 percent of the population commits crime on average as much as the remaining 88 percent. That is fact but it don't matter cause truth don't matter to progressives. It's all about the socialist/commie agenda of having a perpetual victim class to use. That the author of this book is a "soros justice fellow" lets you know right off that it is nothing but communist bullshit but you can have your personal copy for $27.95. Would any well equipped indymedia progressive or anarchist be complete without their own victim class handbook. LOL, won't be looking for this shit on any best seller list.

Hey monique 03.Jan.2011 13:08

me

1) Why don't you tell us where you got your degree in sociology and race relations; 2) Cite your sources for the kkk/demo claim; 3) Tell us what you know about racial profiling and; 4) Why you always seem incapable of delivering an opinion with out sounding like a racist skinhead asshole as "Monique abu Jamal" and other fake Muslim names that you use.

Monique on death row again? 03.Jan.2011 17:45

another me

Seems like the popo in Portland don't know when to quit- whoops posting on the IMC again, whoops, shot somebody again. You think the brownshirts and their aged, white, flabby and paranoid cohorts were going extinct the way keep it up.