Social Security is "a milk cow with 310 million tits."1 It's for the "lesser people of society."2
That's straight from Alan Simpson, the person President Barack Obama appointed to co-chair his deficit commission charged with cutting the budget. You can also call it the Catfood Commission; it's stacked with so many people who want to cut Social Security3 that senior citizens would be so poor they'd have to eat cat food.
Simpson's statements are vulgar and demeaning. But he shouldn't resign. The whole Catfood Commission should shut down completely. It's the only way to save Social Security.
Sign our petition to President Obama: it's time to can the Catfood Commission.
Click here: http://action.firedoglake.com/page/s/CanTheCatfoodCommission
Alan Simpson says in public what the Catfood Commission discusses behind closed doors: they want huge cuts to Social Security, the elderly be damned. The Wall Street Journal reported last week that the Catfood Commission is considering at least four types of benefit cuts to Social Security.4
We at Firedoglake first reported about the plan to cut social security in early 2009.5 We've been hounding the Catfood Commission since its creation. It's a huge threat to our country, and it's more dangerous now than ever.
We did the research and found that 14 of the 18 members appointed by President Obama to the Catfood Commission have advocated cutting Social Security in the past.6 It's a stacked deck. A scam. Alan Simpson just put it out in the open.
Social Security is on the chopping block. We need to save it from the Catfood Commission.
Tell President Obama the gig is up: the Catfood Commission's gotta go. Click here to sign the petition:
Simpson's childish outbursts, his clear contempt for those he patronizes as "the lesser people" he says he is trying to protect, and his ignorance about the program he is tasked with "fixing" are but symptoms of a greater problem.
The Catfood commission is not legitimate. It was stacked with people who knew their job was to fulfill corporations' dreams of rolling back the New Deal and waging war on the social safety net.7 It is a committee of oligarchs designed to circumvent electoral repercussions for those who oppose the will of the vast majority of the American people, both Republicans and Democrats, who don't want to see the federal budget balanced on the backs of the nation's senior citizens.
President Obama, it is not just Alan Simpson who needs to go. It's time to shut down the entire commission. Click here to sign the petition:
Thanks for your support.
1. "Alan Simpson: Social Security is 'A Milk Cow with 310 Million Tits." The Huffington Post, 8/24/10.
2. "Alan Simpson: Cutting Social Security Benefits to 'Take Care of the Lesser People of Society." Firedoglake, 6/17/10. 3. "Obama Packs Debt Committee with Supporters of Social Security Benefit Cuts and Priviatization." Firedoglake, 5/10/10.
4. "Social Security Cuts Weighed by Panel." Wall Street Journal, 8/20/10.
5. "Hedge Fund Billionaire Peter Peterson, Key Speaker at Obama Fiscal Responsibility Summit, Will Tell Us Why Little Old Ladies Must Eat Cat Food So Social Security Can be Saved." Firedoglake, 2/18/09.
6. "Obama Packs Debt Committee with Supporters of Social Security Benefit Cuts and Priviatization." Firedoglake, 5/10/10. 7. "Dear President Obama: Time to Can the Catfood Commission." Firedoglake, 8/26/10.