newswire article announcements portland metro

actions & protests

PREPARE FOR MARCH 29th: AFFINITY GROUPS AND THE BLACK BLOC

Wielding affinity groups and the Black Bloc to attack and destroy. (Practical information.)
In response to the brutal murder of a PDX community member we encourage all people who desire to protect and avenge their communities to form affinity groups.
These affinity groups will act as small autonomous groups taking actions they feel are appropriate.

Affinity groups allow for more efficient communication between folks involved in the attack and defense of themselves, their comrades and all involved with the march or action. Creating spokes councils to coordinate with other affinity groups (who you know and trust) also encourage more successful actions.
Forming affinity groups also encourages the use of a diversity of tactics. Each group can safely and securely decide what are appropriate actions for them to participate in. These groups do not take actions on behalf of anyone but themselves therefore are free to do what they feel is most effective.

In relationship to this encouraging affinity groups and individuals to participate in the Black Bloc is also an incredibly effective tool to unify and create a strong identity during marches or actions.
Contrary to popular belief the black bloc is not a disguise taken on to excuse pointless destruction. The Black Bloc is highly strategic in that it allows for affinity groups and individuals to act autonomously while simultaneously protecting and defending one another and the unblocked participants from the police. "Blocking up" simply put scares the shit out of cops. The more people the more power we hold. This allows for us to clearly articulate what we know is true We are more Powerful then them. While they try to arrest us, we will act collectively to unarrest our comrades, we will create blockades to prevent riot cops from beating us, we will take part in spontaneous occupations or property destruction because they will be too busy watching their own backs. This is the power of the bloc, the ability to exert power over those who aim to kill us and those we love.

There are simple preparations to take to ensure a more successful bloc.
-Know the area well, scout it out before hand with your affinity group for targets and escape routes.
-Don't bloc up before the action, do it upon arrival in a circle of people you trust.
-Have clothes (that are not black) to change into. Have your bloc clothes be easily taken off and thrown away.
-Have a clear understanding of what your affinity group members are comfortable with a.k.a. willing to get arrested for. In case of arrest have each member's emergency information and their desired actions taken post-arrest.
-Always have your affinity group in sight, unless otherwise communicated.
-Stay massed up with the bloc unless participating in an action. Do not allow unblocked folks to come into the bloc. If you become separated locate the black flag, if there isn't one depending on police proximity find a safe place to de-bloc.
-Protect those who are participating in property destruction. Ensure that there are more bloc members near them then cops.
-Do not become provoked by rubber neckers or counter protesters. This is a waste of your energy and allows for a false image of community vs. bloc to be created. They may also be police provocateurs.
-Chant loudly. Make sure to be louder then any liberal or reformist message being said. Your message goes beyond putting band aids on the wounds oppressive systems create. You are working to prevent those wounds from ever being inflicted.
-Bringing banners (good blockades for the bloc), goggles, vinegar soaked bandanas and other defensive and offensive materials is highly encouraged.

Just to add to that... Please read books like Black Bloc Papers 24.Mar.2010 15:19

for

historic reference & to have an idea of what to expect, formations, & how to organize within a black bloc or an affinity group. It is organized to LOOK like chaos. If you don't understand that you can wind up confused & disruptive. No affinity group? No decision making power in the bloc. Have roles within your affinity group. Have person who has at least a basic understanding of medic duties & some basic supplies.

The vinegar thing is a myth. A rag buys you a couple seconds to get out of the cloud. A rag can keep the chemical from contacting your skin as long as you take it off & throw it away or seal in a bag for later washing after contamination. A respirator or gas mask is only good if the cartridge is fresh. Chemical filter cartridges are only good for about 10 hrs after their packaging is opened. Make sure you have one that fits your face. Remove all hair/facial hair in areas that need to seal. Test your mask by covering both in hole & out hole then blow. If air escapes check the hair thing or mask size. Goggles need to be impact/shatter resistant. They need to fit right. If there are vent holes, make sure they are on the bottom. Skateboard helmets are a good idea too. Head wounds are dangerous & very bloody(which can heighten your comrades' panic). Medics often cannot carry enough water for everyone's eyes & thirst. So bring your own drinking water and an eyewash bottle. Sanderson Safety Supply in SE industrial has a lot of really cool stuff & I'm pretty sure they're a small, local business. Eat well before arriving. Bring water & snacks to ensure you can make it through an extended event if necessary. Dress appropriately for the weather. Cover tattoos, funky hair colors, etc. Don't wear patches or other identifiable clothing. Anything making you unique to the bloc makes you a target by the cops.

need a different context 26.Mar.2010 12:40

old news

i think black blocs could be effective if they were done at random, not on a set date for a protest when all the cops will be ready, all the 'radical media' folk with their cameras will be filming, etc.
expect lots of black bloc arrests and more pleas for financial help for bail, etc. on the 29th

what is the goal here? 26.Mar.2010 19:15

dex

hate to sound cynical about the black bloc...but what are you trying to accomplish? If you think that "autonomous actions" will somehow lead to radically changing society, you might have to reconsider. But I seriously doubt that a lot of people who participate in these actions live under that delusion.

U.S. Bancorp Tower (Big Pink) Announcement about Black Bloc 29.Mar.2010 14:34

Vasquez

Indy Media reports that activists are planning a Black Bloc (anarchists wearing black clothing and masks) type protestor "police violence" on Monday, March 29, starting at 5pm in the South Park Blocks.

Organizers are encouraging participants to "act as small autonomous groups taking actions they feel are appropriate" and should "feel free to do what they feel is most effective." They are forecasting that there will be property damage and say that if protesters are arrested they will "act collectively to unarrest" them. They are also advising protesters to have clothes to change into and to wear clothing that can be easily taken off and thrown away, and have instructed participants that "property destruction should happen before or after the 5pm march, and NOT during it,".

Here is a link to Indy Media:  http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2010/03/398027.shtml?discuss

Central Precinct is aware of this activity and has a plan to deal effectively with it, should it occur. Please call 911 if you observe any criminal behavior. Downtown Clean and Safe will be maintaining an "eyes and ears" presence in the Business Improvement District and monitoring this activity as well, and feel free to contact their dispatch at 503-224-7383 if you observe suspicious activity that does not warrant a 911 call.
As a safety precaution, all lobby doors may be locked at 5:00pm for anyone attempting to enter the building. Also, please be advised that traffic could severely be affected throughout the downtown area starting around 4:30pm.

how do I connect if I'm alone? 29.Mar.2010 15:22

JAK

How do we recluse-types hook-up?

how do I connect if I'm alone? 29.Mar.2010 15:23

JAK jak196262@live.com

How do we recluse-types hook-up?

bloc party 29.Mar.2010 16:34

number 1 fan!

does bloc party play at 5 or is there an opener??

I LOVE THAT BAND

BLOC PARTY?!?! 29.Mar.2010 16:34

Captain Stoked

Yeah, I love that Banquet song,
"Turning away from the light
Becoming adult
Turning into myself
I wanted to bite not destroy
To feel her underneath
Turning into the light".

Dude, that song like totally gives me a boner.

Great idea 29.Mar.2010 18:57

Gomer the protester

I have a new idea. If enough of us dive out in front of the buses and light rail, we can screw up traffic and then the rest of us can kill everyone in the area with salad forks. I am going to try and dive out of a high rise and take people out on the street. this is going to be great. I made a new mask out of a diaper so nobody will see who I am. ...what are we pissed off about again?

Great idea 29.Mar.2010 19:28

Gomer the protester

Great idea 29.Mar.2010 19:28

Gomer the protester

More chaos 30.Mar.2010 10:17

Sgt Carter

Here's the thing though, I want all of us to avoid using our diapers because I think it sends the wrong message. The right message is that we are anarchists and we are CHAOS in action. Just picture yourself as a randomly exploding, vibrating, spewing machine of pure sewage and destruction. When you see this comrades action, you will see that no diaper is needed. I have vowed to become a human whirlygig sprinkler. To show our oppressors who do nothing but oppress us will soon see me in the middle of the fortress of oppression known as Nordstrom with my pants down, spewing destruction out of my butt and mouth in a most disturbing and transforming way. I will projectile vomit and diarrhea with high velocity simultaneously with such unexpected consequences and travelling in many unpredictable directions. I will soil my capitalist oppressors as I soil my pants. At this time my comrades will use this highly surprising and destructive action as a distraction while they put on their Che Guevera masks and run accross the street and ram their heads right into the windows of capitalist oppressor Ben Bridge. Society will then become great. Heaven on earth will have arrived once I clean my soiled body.

I love your idea Gomer 30.Mar.2010 10:28

Sgt Carter

discussion

Asked questions are not stupid questions 24.Mar.2010 15:22

uninformed

PA
Why vinegar soaked bandannas? What is the reason?

NO! 24.Mar.2010 15:56

THIS EVENT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SAFE FOR ALL PEOPLE. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR PROPERTY DESTRUCTION.

If you fuck shit up at this rally, you'll put vulnerable people in danger -- people of color, immigrants, elders, people with disabilities, anyone with kids...

Please engage in direct action and property destruction -- but NOT at this event!

on the topic of vulnerable peoples 24.Mar.2010 16:37

wow

Please speak for yourself. Many women and people of color participate in black blocs and hit the streets in them over the past few nights. The black bloc tactic does not in iteself does not oppress anyone rather its the armed barons romming the streets armed to the teeth murdering community members. Maybe you should challenge your own personal systems of oppression and privilege. Check out Harsha Walia from Vancouver, a women of color who advocates for the black bloc tactic. She also doesnt see it as directly oppressing her.

Stop trying to police the movement 24.Mar.2010 17:35

read your history to get shit done

Hey pig stop trying to police the movement...Oakland....Greece...got shit done.

Creating alliances, building community, keeping people safe. 24.Mar.2010 18:34

First off: Fuck you, I'm not a pig.

Secondly: We agreed that the march + rally on Monday is to be an inclusive and safe event for a broad range of people, not a masturbatory property destruction fest. So fuck off. I support property destruction (and even killing cops), but this is NOT THE PLACE TO DO IT.

PD is cool, just break off and do it away from the bigger crowd 24.Mar.2010 18:35

Stop calling people who are working on this demo pigs. Get the fuck over yourself.

With that said, if affinity groups want to go fuck shit up, please just get safely away from the bigger group so folks who are unarrestable or would rather not be arrested (see: peppersprayed, beaten, detained, etc.) will be more out of the way.

This isn't policing, it's taking care of one another. If you can't do that go break windows somewhere else, asshole.

I have to 24.Mar.2010 18:40

take issue

with your quote "Blocking up" simply put scares the shit out of cops."

Can you cite one example where the cops were scared shitless?

If anything, "blocking" gives them the green signal to bring their own brand of violence out quicker. They probably cherish those moments and I expect many of them are beginning to salivate at the thought of unleashing their anger on the 29th.

My comments are not pro or con regarding Black Bloc. Be realistic as to what your actions actually do and not puff up your chest with false bravado.

Be safe, take care of eachother. 24.Mar.2010 18:46

what if 24.Mar.2010 18:48

burr

what if they called a riot in the streets and the peole said F off and the people cracked heads before the cops could stop them?

What if the people refused to condone boys with attitude?

What if there were blacks with legit issues and they told the white scum to please stay out of it we don't want your stinking affinity ? Why- that reminds me of Cali and the 60's

the cops 24.Mar.2010 19:06

whats the big deal with property destruction

since when is pushing a garbage can in the street property destruction. As far as my knowledge goes this is all that happened. Did this really deserve the police to ram protesters on their bikes? Secondly people should respect a diversity of tactics; honestly, sitting around holding picket signs for the past 10 years under Bush and Obama begging them to stop the wars hasn't worked out for the anti-war movement and the same can be said for anti-police work. They shot Kendra James and what did they get in response, tazers as "less leathal weapons" so they could terrorize more people. The Black Panthers didn't sit around and let their communitys face the brunt of police repression, so why should we? Im sick of pleaing to the agents of repression for change because we are never going to get it unless we take community action. Maybe some dumpsters got thrown in the street, so what! It was inorder to prevent the cops from ramming people with their motar bikes and stop them from harrassing us. On top of it all these are our streets and car culture is a death culture, I believe most the liberals and greenies can agree on that point. So it must be said that shoving objects in the roads and marching in the streets isnt really an act of violence it is a liberty we should all enjoy.

Hmm? 24.Mar.2010 20:06

a

"Secondly: We agreed that the march + rally on Monday is to be ..."

Who's "we"? And when did "we" decide that being an inclusive space meant discouraging damaging property?
I remember being at the spokes council that decided to have an event on this day and I seem to recall that affinity groups were supposed to be organizing this event.

I remember us setting the date, time and place, but nothing more.

Did I miss 1) the forming of a single overarching organization to plan this event and 2) the meeting where this organization decided how this event was going to go?

Follow the Rules 24.Mar.2010 20:27

Zerzan

It is imperative to behave and to respect property. The peace movement has shown how effective that is.
When is it time for real action? The liberal whining and hectoring is itself policing. Want to stop the
killing? You must know it will require more than wimped-out parades and sanctimonious talk about 'safety."
WHOSE safety? Black Bloc action, no excuses.

and. 24.Mar.2010 21:23

p

think beyond bbloc.

spokes sunday 24.Mar.2010 21:30

col summers

There's a spokes on Sunday at Col Summers (5 or 6?), specifically set aside for concerns. Someone mentioned a know your rights training and I think that would be a good time to announce who's there and what their status is, in terms of what we're comfortable. Of course, cops will be there, so I guess don't give too much information up. Since anarchists spear-headed the response thus-far, we haven't worked out a diversity of tactics agreement with any other communities thus-far. Have other non-anarchists signed on? I don't know. Let them speak at the appropriate. Let's support one another, y'all.

WTF? 24.Mar.2010 23:34

NotAChance

I don't recall agreeing to no property destruction or denying diversity of tactics, I am fairly certain that everyone I know would have blocked that and would have left the meeting space had that occurred. Also Fuck Off yourself, if people want to vent at the systems of control then this IS the place to do it and if you don't like it, don't show up.

property destruction on the 29th, please don't 25.Mar.2010 10:05

cricket

The property destruction, general unfriendly and unwelcoming posturing is going to affect who shows up on the 29th and who is put at risk. If I show up and It's just dozens of black clad people, I'll be leaving. This should be a greater event for people of varying ideologies to come together for similar if not the same reasons.
I want to see the communities that Jackie Collins interacted within represented. I'm willing to make an assumption that very few if any of the people using this site knew this individual.

I support a diversity of tactics, but sometimes that means taking a diversity of time. A few hours - It's not that long to put off the smashy-smashy.

@Cricket 25.Mar.2010 14:23

Not this time

That would just be more of the same tactics as have been used, with ZERO change as a result, for several decades now. Exactly the formula you proposed has been the exact response every time someone has been shot. The only win was a civilian review board, with no teeth, that can make recommendations on police procedures/training for the police to laugh at with deep belly rolls, 10 years ago. Look around you. Look where that has gotten us. Obviously no one is an expert winner on police accountability issues. So everyone stop posing like you are. It's time to step back & let the under 40 crowd try something new & experiment with what might work.

go ahead and march, but then think about organizing 26.Mar.2010 19:40

btdt

social change and movement building is a process, not an event. yes, people can plan whatever kind of demonstration they want to, and it's clear where this one is headed. have fun; try and protect each other. certainly, marching around in circles didn't stop the war, but then neither did any of the black bloc. each tactic has its place in the context of a movement, but absent that context, they're both powerless, largely ego-driven gestures.

picking fights 26.Mar.2010 22:10

art of war

just a suggestion, and not to try and tell anyone what to do, but it would seem to me unwise to start shit when the police are out in full force. it's like poking a rabid wild beast with a stick.
if we are inviting the community out to an non-permitted march, which would likely include people not interested or well versed in street fighting, would it not make more sense to take a more defensive stance and not give them the green light to come in an start fucking people up?
again, just a suggestion.
if you want to hit them where it hurts, low intensity guerrilla warfare would be a much more sustainable attack, with less casualties. just sayin'...

Don't Tread On Me! 27.Mar.2010 07:16

Anti Anarchist

I caution you that I am willing to use any means to protect my property. If you think you are going to damage my personal property without consequence, you are in denial and deluded. I am not constrained by the fear of being sued for violating your civil rights and I will defend myself and my property. Understand that my testimony to the Grand Jury will be that I was in fear for my life after reading your propaganda and being confronted with a masked and helmeted mob. Let me know how this works out for you. Don't tread on me, Anarchist!

What A Mess 27.Mar.2010 09:18

Den Mark, Vancouver

It's astonishing reading all this. It's astonishing that the situation has gotten this bad. It's astonishing that Black Bloc must take on the dangerous job of confronting a system that allows bad cops to retain badges & guns. It's insane that idealistic kids must take on a system that allows cops to be out-of-control because politicians are out-of-touch, media are out-to-lunch, & most citizens act like nothing's going on, sipping designer coffees & hand-crafted beers. It's surreal, it's a mess, & it's unacceptable.

Thank you, Black Bloc, for caring. Be clever & careful, because Portland needs you the next day, too. In Pittsburgh at G-20, we kept splitting into smaller groups & scattering, & cops could not figure us out. I'll be downtown monday, but at 67 i can't keep up with you. My anger will be expressed. Wise guerrillas show up on their own terms, & leave on their own terms!

No Justice, No Peace!

Just to point out 27.Mar.2010 12:03

another portland anarchist

While I completely agree that we need a larger coalition to keep cops from killing people, or to abolish cops in general, having a Black block is not the first green light cops are going to get to oppress anyone who shows up. Let's not forget, this is an un-permitted march, which means anyone who shows up is subject to Police intimidation/violence. I've seen cops get aggro over less. I'm not trying to say I know what's best in this situation, just pointing out that "un-permitted" already gives them the green light.

disney 27.Mar.2010 12:15

"unwise to start shit when the police are out in full force."

um, yes, to say the least. Demos where everyone is invited, and there is full presence, are all about theater.
If someone were to actually want to do graffiti or whatnot, the logical low risk time to do that would be when there are not several dozen police officers.

Tell me, what else are we supposed to do?? 27.Mar.2010 19:30

.. .

Shut up and follow along?

It's called taking a stand.
Fighting back!
Do you know what equality is?
Probably not. Because, it does not exist.
And it will never exist if we keep playing
this game of follow the leader.
Do you know what passion is?
It is explosive!
And when someone treads on your existance
do you not respond?

Society has not been listening.
So, this is our response!

... 27.Mar.2010 22:12

...

Your 'response?' To throw a little tantrum for a couple of hours and then we all go back to business as usual the next day. A Black Bloc will achieve nothing on Monday. You might impress a few angry teens, you'll piss off most everyone else and the police will have a bit of fun with you. Some of you might end up in jail for no good fucikng reason. This isn't Greece on the verge of economic collapse. This is passive/ aggressive Portland and another questionable police killing. Not enough people give a fuck and no Black Bloc will change that.

shut ur face 28.Mar.2010 16:55

loudness

the voice of people united is undeniably powerful. it might not change the ppd overnight but it is a drumbeat calling for permanant change. this is our city...these are our brothers and sisters...our taxes pay the pigs...it is time for the ppd to fall in line with the people and make amends or it is time for us to make some bacon!!!!

why vinegar? 29.Mar.2010 02:03

deanosor deanosor@mailup.net

I'm not going to comment on the goodness or badness of black blocks or property destruction at THIS demo. I don't live in Portland and i won't be there. I've seen times where black blocks or property destruction was appropriate and times where it was not. I think good people can disagree and not be cops. Nevertheless, sometimes cops do try to sow dissension between activists.

By the way blocking up and property destruction are synonymous. I've seen Blocs that did no property destruction (sometimes they protect the demo or do some other kind of mutual aid where group anonymity is necessary). And i've seen property destruction and other "illegal" activities done people not in black.

As for why vinegar. Vinegar on a mask will help protect you from tear gas or mace. Vinegar is good for many things. It's a good non-toxic household cleaner as well.

You have been infiltrated by the FEDS 29.Mar.2010 13:05

Alex Ansary alex_ansary@hotmail.com

And you guys aren't even talking about this. Ill see you there tonight and will expose every agent I see while exposing the police in uniform in the same breath. I dont hide behind a mask. I do my tv show with my birth day and im of middle eastern heritage and im still not scared of THEM>

but u in the mask are the scared ones otherwise you'd stand tall.

Let's get this straight... 29.Mar.2010 13:31

Todo

So you want to stop police violence by destroying other people's property? Sounds like getting Dad to stop spanking you by hitting your brother. How is that supposed to work???????????????? It's like fucking for abstinence.

Let's get this straight... 29.Mar.2010 14:02

Todo

I'm a good little doggy! 29.Mar.2010 14:32

Arthur Murray

Have a large potted cactus!!

Bloc Party 29.Mar.2010 14:34

Hot Dog Man

My affinity group will be providing a wide array of vegetarian burgers, tofurkey dogs, and other meatless products. If other affinity groups can provide the required mobile barbequeing devices that are easily converted to get away vehicles, that would add to the quality of the meal. On another note, the only liquid I will be providing is an abundance of vinegar which I purchased at Costco for an outrageous deal, so other consumable beverages should be provided by the various affinity groups. United we can make this the best black bloc party ever.

Sounds like everyone has their shit together 29.Mar.2010 15:03

Observe & Report

Sounds like everyone knows what's going on and the plan (not!)...Just do has planned, oh and be sure to wear your pants real low - that's even scarier and helps you run faster! It's true - it is a truism, believe me - you all are doing the right thing. This will change the community, I'll be there!

simply do not understand... 29.Mar.2010 15:09

kimberlily

i am utterly confounded as to how people think that violence (i.e. property damage) is ever a solution to violence...

it is this very ideology that leads governments like ours to wage war on the world...it's the old game of: we are right, you are wrong, and i'll show you by fighting...might makes right!

history has shown over and over: those who fight violent revolution and win end up ruling with an iron fist (frequently even more oppressive than the system they sought to destroy)...why? because those who choose violent tactics are thugs, plain and simple...thugs fighting thugs fighting thugs...

if you really want to change things, violence and destruction are not the answer...it won't change anything...just more of the same BS...

Yumm!!! 29.Mar.2010 15:10

Potato Salad Grrrl

Thanks Hot Dog Man! That certainly sounds delicious. My affinity group has a great vegan potato salad recipe and we just brewed a big batch of komboucha to share. I'll be sure to bring the ukelele for the sing-a-long. Wooo! Bloc party!

Strategic? Don't think so 29.Mar.2010 15:24

Kija

If this were strategic you would have a clear target and a clear demand that could be answered. There is nothing strategic about property destruction and violence. It turns people who might be with you against you and buttresses the police argument. It creates problems for vulnerable people to participate - since risking arrest might have higher consequences for them than for the reckless people who propose this. As to nonviolence not working - tell that to the people who liberated South Africa and India, the people who marched to Selma and in Birmingham and the youth who freed Yugoslavia with OTPOR. Nonviolence works if its sustained and strategic. This will only cause more oppression and give ammunition to the police.

If you touch my subie I will break your face 29.Mar.2010 15:25

all your base

I am currently parked near the park blocks and I am concerned that someone's idea of making a point will be to destroy the very first nice car I've been able to posess (not even own yet). Please know that I will be watching the action from the window of my office where I also worked very hard to get employed at. I have set up a webcam zoomed in on my car, and I know that you will be wearing black and masks, but I am also in pretty good shape and will be waiting by the door to go f*ck you up if I see anyone touch my car. If I f*ck up the wrong face, then sorry, but here is your warning.

Go away 29.Mar.2010 15:27

Portland Regular

This is utterly disgusting.

You say you are FOR the populace, but you are not. You are criminals.

Leave the good peace loving citizens of Portland alone.

when has this ever worked? 29.Mar.2010 15:39

truthmaster

The reason this whole concept is stupid is because it never works. Yet dumb idiots keep doing it over and over and over although it never achieves one thing.

That is because they aren't really concerned with achieving anything-they just like being on tv and the other attention they receive. Then they go back to living their lives as losers (yes, that is what they are if you ever took the time to see who these people really are). They are angry at life because of their station at the bottom of the heap is all because they are too stupid and too lazy to do something with themselves.

You really want to do something about police violence? Here is an idea-become a policeman and get 50 of your friends to become policemen and bingo, problem solved.

Oh, but that would actually be doing something.

Go join the tea party where all they do is gripe and moan also while never actually solving anything.

criminals 29.Mar.2010 15:39

citizen of honor

This is an excuse for criminals to destroy property. Proerty they will never own because, with few exceptions, most everyone in this group will never do anything significant outside of being a criminal. they will never offer anything of value to the world around them. They will never amount to anything. No honor. No love. Just misery. Sad, stupid people with no purpose in life. Just destroy things they don't own. What a miserable was of human life.

Violence to rid violence - doesn't make sense 29.Mar.2010 15:42

thoughts from someone in this group

I don't understand how violence and trashing the property that isn't yours atones for your actions. You are really looking for an excuse to unleash your anger and innocent people are affected by it. Incidents like this happen all the time, not to just one particular race or color. Your actions cannot be provoked simply by what you hear media telling you. What you are doing makes no sense and only causes more war and anger, is this your purpose. Look deep into your heart and see what is true. The mistakes of few should not be the consequence for many and much harm, though it does suck.

I really hope this reaches the heart of at least one individual involved in what could be.

Cloaking Devices 29.Mar.2010 15:49

Inventor

For those of you who are worried about your eminent arrest, I have a solution. I am what most would call an opportunist, and I have a great invention. I will supply cloaking devices, making you virtually invisible to even the most cunning officers. For a small price of $2,997, payable in monthly installments of $999, you too can walk around in complete anonymity.

Please consider the trap you are falling into 29.Mar.2010 16:05

bilbo

Hate only begets more hate. Let's honor our fallen brothers and sisters with a social protest of remembrance and action that enough is enough.

Take a page from one of the best social reformers in the modern age:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" Gandhi

Don't hurt me please... 29.Mar.2010 16:05

Nicole

I just want to say that I hope no one disrupts the many Portland area citizens who have to drive through Portland to get home from a long day at work. Please do not keep me from going home, or hurt my hard working car. I do not have money to fix my car, and I do not have time to stop and have you arrested.

Leave me alone or deal with my anger 29.Mar.2010 16:15

pa pa

I don't give a f what you think is right or wrong. Leave my sh..t alone. If I'm driving through the area and you attack my truck you will get a face full of lead. Not a threat just a fact. I will be in fear of my life and of my kids life and you brought the attack to me. Sorry, again, just a fact. Before you throw bricks at a moving vehicle or what ever stunt you think is right remember it might be someone like me that wants to be left alone. I don't mess with anyone whether they are cops or citizen so if you attack me or my property ask yourself how much is your health worth? My point is what give you the right to cause damage to someones property that did absolutely nothing to you? If you have a issue with cops take the fight to them. Pussies! You don't want any of my attitude on your ass. LEAVE ME AND MY FAMILY OLONE!

Rip City Baby 29.Mar.2010 16:19

Blazer Fan

Is there a Blazer game tonight? If there is I could use a ride over to the Rose Garden after the bloc party if anyone is heading across the river.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing everyone at the party.

Anarchy works very well 29.Mar.2010 16:23

Somali Warlord

It's been working out swimmingly for me...

bloc 29.Mar.2010 16:23

joey joe joe

do u no when bloc party plays? i love that band!!!!

Youre all queer 29.Mar.2010 16:33

Fred

Get real. This will do nothing. If youre pissed at the police, take it out on them alone, not all the rest of the Portland law-abiding, hard working people and their businesses.

what not to do 29.Mar.2010 17:00

Axe flamethrowers are getting kids expelled from junior high school

Wow- Impressive! 29.Mar.2010 17:07

Guy with a brain

I have to admit, I have seen a lot of stupid people in Portland, but this takes the cake for the most ridiculous gathering of utter morons ever- Nice work, really cool strategy too- maybe even go at a cop with a knife...we know that works.. I am sure it will work to get your heads individually caved in....heres an idea- once we have you all in place, all the normal people should leave town and at 5:00 we just carpet bomb downtown and then get on with living again. More power to the cops & National Guard for simply laying all of you out in one pass. maybe get a few rednecks from the burbs down there for some AK47 target practice. I am sure when all this is over and most of you are beaten up or in jail, that everything will be exactly the same as it was yesterday- awesome, see you on the news in cuffs.

pathetic 29.Mar.2010 17:24

Robert Lee

kgw just had a reporter go live from your little protest, said maybe 3 dozen in attendance being watched by about 6 cops on bicycles, y'all look pathetic as hell. but that don't surprise me, hey if you really want to protest something worthwhile go find the reverend jj he's in town yeah go give that crooked nig nog an ear full. anarchist my ass. ha ha ha!

Nice Work Shitbags 29.Mar.2010 17:33

JR

Cops use an excessive amount of violence, which you're going to protest with an excessive amount of violence, which is going to lead to an excessive amount of violence invoked on you in turn by the cops. Is there a genius award? Because I nominate all of you. I bet it will all fizzle out as youre too busy taking bong hits to remember to protest.

Goal? Point? 29.Mar.2010 21:07

daisy

WHAT is your point? Your goal? Wha are you tring to say? to protest? I have read and re-read this...it seems to be, as many say, spoiled children miffed about who-knows-what and needing attention. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE. Otherwise, you just give fodder to the crazy far-right. Grow up. Be responsible for something.

To precious anarchist snowflakes: 29.Mar.2010 22:07

K-5

You're using political issues you barely understand and philosophies you've just superficially considered as justification for sadism and brutality. Teabaggers, Christian militia groups, anti-abortion terrorists, and manifesto-writing spree killers on the far right are also big fans of masturbatory lizard-brain violence. An extremist is an extremist is an extremist, no matter how many plates of vegan potato salad he chokes down.

Wow! I am so ultra impressed! 30.Mar.2010 07:42

Fred

I am so stunned as to how effective that was last night! You guys really made a difference! I just cant wait to see how effective this afternoon's gathering will be!

What a bunch of losers. If youre gonna make a stand, you gotta do better than that. Pathetic losers. Even the news has you portrayed as that. That was so stupidly uneventful, I had the urge to watch Dancing with the Stars.

Step up the game.... 30.Mar.2010 10:01

David

Come on lets see some real violence guys you all looked like losers last night, break some windows start a garbage can or two on fire. Throw some rocks, glass bottles, etc at the cops, Hell maybe go to blows with them. If not stay home it is lame to watch you do what went on last night.

Like the idea Gomer 30.Mar.2010 10:04

Sgt Carter

Blocking up, simply put, bored the shit out of everyone 30.Mar.2010 13:52

Statik

Portland says all the right things when someone gets killed by the cops, but anarchists you are not. This "article" is no more than a sad and pathetic bunch of windbaggery. That wasn't a black block, that was a peaceful protest. I'm not saying a peaceful protest is bad, but call it what it is. Don't try to talk it up like you're going to throw molotov cocktails and bash the fuck out of stuff if you're just going to stand around and make a statement. And if you say you're going to riot, fucking riot.

More BS from Chicken-hearted Wannabe Protesters 31.Mar.2010 16:04

CitizenV

You say: "...will act as small autonomous groups taking actions they feel are appropriate..."

In other words they may act inappropriately for all intents and purposes, so long as they feel
justified in their actions, and your disclaimer absolves you from any responsibility.

You want your government and local authorities to be responsible for their actions, yet you are
not willing to hold yourself to the same standard. How does this make you any better than they
are, if you have no moral compass or set of rules and actions that are worth fighting for?

If you act in whatever manner you choose to be "appropriate" you absolutely remove any legitimacy
to complain when they do the same to you.