Are you tired of hearing about how it's wrong for two consenting adults to get married? How about being fearful of coming out in your workplace? Are you tired of bigotry, homophobia, and laws making you feel like a second class citizen? Then YOU need to come to the next organizing meeting of the new Portland Equal Rights Coalition! We have started this group to organize equality for all. By all means, we welcome everyone! Not just those who are Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer and Intersex (as the acronym suggests) but any kind of oppressed individual. We welcome any person who is for equal rights, despite your sexual or gender orientation.
There is a National Equality March (www.equalityacrossamerica.org) coming up on October 10-11th in Washington DC. We are organizing a march here in solidarity. We hope to strengthen this national civil rights movement by building it at home in Portland. Come to our meeting and bring your ideas about how to build a broad grass roots movement for equal rights.
Event: Public Organizing Meeting
Date: Monday, August 24th 7p.m.
Location: Portland State University - Room 229
We will be welcoming new members and discussing our future campaigns and actions here in Portland!
PERC Working Mission Statement:
Portland Equal Coalition is a new, radical, working class, grassroots coming together of individuals & organizations which, behind a united front, works toward the civil & human rights of full social, legal & economic equality for LGBTQQI communities locally & nationally.
We advocate that local & national changes are necessary immediately so that we can live safe & healthy lives at home and at work. We call for IMMEDIATE:
* Repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) so that every marriage in every state has the same federal rights.
* Repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell so that LGBT persons may serve in the military openly and with the same rights as their straight counterparts.
* End to workplace discrimination for everyone with an Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) that protects everyone.
* Right to adopt children and raise families like any other parents.
* Hate Crimes legislation that includes LGBT people and protects us like any other targeted group.
* Immigration reform that recognizes same-sex couples and ends the needless separation of families.
* Equal protection in all matters governed by civil law in all 50 states. We will accept no less and will work until it is achieved.