Please share this information with the young people in your lives:
* Students must opt-out EVERY YEAR.
* Traditionally, the deadline for opting-out for the year is October 1.
* Students do NOT require parental or guardian consent to opt-out.
* EVERY high school students' personal information is being released to military recruiters -- not just that of juniors' and seniors'!
* Young women are NOT exempt from this provision.
How can students opt-out?
* At registration -- before the beginning of the school year. There is a checkbox on the registration form that allows for opting-out.
* By going directly to their school main office and amending their registration form if they have not checked the box to opt-out. (If they don't remember whether they opted-out or not, students can go to the main office to verify the information on their form.)
* By submitting an opt-out form (see www.leavemychildalone.org/optout) to their school's main office.
For more information on Opt-Out, see www.leavemychildalone.org and www.militaryfreezone.org
www.militaryfreezone.org is especially noteworthy because it features an on-line petition demanding the repeal of the provision under No Child Left Behind that forces schools to release students' personal information to military recruiters if they wish to continue to receive funding.
Submitted by Recruiter Watch PDX:
Since the summer of 2005, Recruiter Watch PDX has worked to limit military recruitment in Portland area schools: educate youth, parents and community members about the realities of war and military life and present concrete alternatives to the military. We challenge the "poverty draft" in which military recruiters excessively target low-income youth and people of color and believe through education we can greatly reduce the heightened militarism and war culture in our schools.