newswire article reporting portland metro

actions & protests | animal rights

Scamps Protest, Activist Arrested

The Radical Cheerleaders for Animal Rights performed today in front of Scamps store inside Lloyd Center Mall to bring attention to scamps history of selling puppies from puppy mills. After the performance, an activist is aggressively detained by mall security resulting in angry shoppers expressing their disgust with the security guards.

Scamp's Pet store (located in Lloyd Center) is fond of saying their puppies come from kennels that are licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) implying that this offers some level of assurance regarding health and humane standards. The reality is that thousands of dogs spend much of their lives in cramped, cold and filthy cages as "breeding stock". In these USDA-approved conditions, adults and puppies are squeezed together, compete for food or water (if any is available) and endure a lifetime in tiny wire cages which damage their paws. They never get to feel the grass, have a toy, a treat, or chase a ball. Many go cage crazy running around in endless circles, driven mad by the frustrating hours of boredom and loneliness.

Scamps pet store was recently exposed in an undercover report by KGW Channel 8s Anne Yeager, who obtained veterinary records and interviewed multiple victims who have purchased sick and genetically defective puppies from Scamps. The story also tells how Scamps buys from puppy mills.

link to www.kgw.com

Rent-a-Cops on Ego Trip Use Unnecessary Force 08.Feb.2009 08:39

Noodles

I was there and witness the peaceful activist being attacked. The activist used WORDS, no violence. Last I checked, this was our American right. As the activist was LEAVING, two rent-a-cops came from different directions. One grabbed at him, but as the activist tried to leave, the two bullies chased and knocked him down. They got on top of the activist and pushed his face into the cement floor. The activist did not struggle, yet the bullies HANDCUFFED him anyways. How is it that Rent-A-Cops in a shopping mall are allowed to use excessive force? If these were real cops, it would still have been unnecessary brutality. I think these wanna-be cops should be FIRED for their actions. In these depressed economic times, GOOD citizens of Portland need to be employed. Lloyd Center - I implore you, get rid of these hooligans and hire deserving people to represent your mall.

Free Legal Defense to Protesters 08.Feb.2009 08:50

stu

The person arrested might want to call me at 503.228.6655. I'll see to it he gets an experienced, aggressive lawyer to help him beat whatever charges they're throwing at him. For free, as a thank you for putting his freedom at risk.

stu sugarman
co-chair, Litigation Committee
Portland National Lawyers Guild

Call 08.Feb.2009 11:26

Den Mark

503-282-2511

That's Lloyd Center's number. We should at least call to object to what the bogus "cops" did/do.

Lots of Support :) 08.Feb.2009 11:32

AR Cheerleader

As the Radical Cheerleaders performed, people clapped with smiles on their faces.....until the Mall Cops started using their excessive force. I was surprised on how much support we got from random people in the mall. People were booing and yelling at the mall cops. One mall cop as you see in the video, pointed to 2 random shoppers (who were voicing their disgust with the mall cops excessive force) and yelled at them to get out of the mall.
This mall cop who we have nicknamed The Grinch, should be fired. He is a type of person who should not be in an authoritative position as he is too aggressive towards random shoppers and obviously has a personal vendetta against animal rights activists or anyone who expresses dissent. It's one thing to tell us to leave, but it's another thing to throw a person down on the ground and use excessive force when the person was leaving with his family.

The people have spoken! They want The Grinch Fired AND they want SCAMPS KICKED OUT OF THE MALL!!!!!

The Grinch
The Grinch

Ahh what a cutie pie 08.Feb.2009 13:51

?

Matt, just checked out your mug shot on Multnomah County Sheriff's website. You look adorable! Keep up all the good work you do.

Call the Mall 08.Feb.2009 14:16

No more puppymills

Call the mall, 0 to get the operator. They didn't even know what had happened, and were quite disturbed when I told them. They're taking it serious, especially after they got a call from the Mercury. Yes! I hope to see an article next week!
Boycott Scamps!
Boycott the Mall!
Donate to rescue groups!

I called them and.... 08.Feb.2009 16:57

Hisss Meow

Ok, so I just called the mall and talked to them.
I told her I had just seen a video that brings
about a huge concern to me as a citizen.
She said 7 calls have come through and she was very
interested in this incident.
She listened to me describe what happened in the
video, and my knowledge of the incident as well.
She took down information of where to find the
video, as I followed such with letting her know
that this video has been posted everywhere on the
internet, and is reaching thousands as we speak.
She asked me what exactly is a puppy mill.
I explained to her the horrible conditions in
which these animals are forced to live as they
are bred over and over until they become to old
or die, living in crates, filthy conditions and
so on (you already know). She said "they sell
these animals for hundreds, even thousands of
dollars!" in a shocked voice. She listened and
agreed to suggestions about the mall instilling
policies that would stop scamps from selling
animals and even suggested that maybe they could
work with shelters to find homes for animals
instead.
She did take down my name and number, and her boss
will be calling me this coming week.
Our call ended with her stating that she would take
any calls regarding this.

working with Matt 08.Feb.2009 23:59

gk

I have worked with Matt when Ringling Bros. Circus was at the Rose Arena. When I saw parent after parent with kids in hand coming in, I got rather emotional in tone. Matt asked me to tone it down, so I KNOW he is a valued protester for animals.

And it's work like his that changed laws for protesters to roam the outside Rose Arena at circus time, and not be contained to the sidewalk or a 3' square within. Thanks, Matt!

mall rent a security 09.Feb.2009 00:30

i've seen him before

this mall cop looks like the same rude one i asked a few months back for information about the location of a store. very unprofessional. i would drag him and the supervisor and the security policies into the court system. make them be accountable before a judge. now i know why i had a bad vibe about this security guard when i spoke to him. it wasn't even about scamps, but this guy needs to be accountable. in a way having the protester arrested, but at least this rent a cop will also be put on trial. good for those standing up against parvo, distemper and the rest of the puppy mill problems created based on breeding animals for the almighty dollar. when shelters are having to kill dumpsters worth of animals weekly, these types of business' don't need to exist.

I was there 09.Feb.2009 13:55

shopper

I just happened to be there with my 3 yr old daughter and I have to say that we really enjoyed watching the cheerleaders. I have never bought any animals from Scamps and now I never will and I will make sure I tell others to not shop there. I did not know that Scamps got their puppy's from puppy mills until the incident at the mall. By the way, my daughter and I was horrified at what happened to that young man who only said a couple sentences. I had to tell her exactly what was happening so she understood. She called the security "mean scary men." AND they arrested him in front of his daughter. I will be calling Lloyd Center and voicing my concern over the aggressive security officer who tackled him.

Security guard 09.Feb.2009 15:26

docdem

The Security guard in the white shirt and ball cap used to be at Riteaid on Sw 6th and alder. At that time he was chasing off street kids in spite of the fact he was not authorizied to enforce the SAFE (crap) ordinance. It's a small world, ain't it. See, what affects one, affects all.

Thank you, protesters 09.Feb.2009 21:55

David

It's refreshing to see people take time out of their lives to educate others and speak out against cruelty. People need to be informed about puppy mills so they can make the right choice and not support cruelty. We are killing millions of animals in shelters every year. (http://docsandaction.mcasstopthekilling.com/) People should adopt from shelters instead of supporting anyone who breeds animals. For anyone who does not understand why the protesters were there, please learn more here: http://www.kgw.com/video/specialreports-index.html?nvid=307670 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0KucYppXO0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HM8UmHM8Uo I will boycott the mall and ask my friends and family to do the same. Also, I called the mall to express my concern. Thank you protesters! Best wishes to all of you.

Security Guards Breaking Their Code of Conduct 10.Feb.2009 09:20

Noodles

The Mercury posted sections of the Lloyd Center mall-security guidelines on their blog. These rent-a-cops totally broke the rules. Please call Lloyd Center and request that these bullies are fired!! Oh - don't forget.....Scamp's is EVIL too!! If you want a companion animal, please adopt from a shelter.

Never buy from Scamps 10.Feb.2009 11:00

Chris

Several years ago I was working at a coffee shop in Gresham at a strip mall, just the corner from our shop was a Scamps. We had so many customers come in and complain about the high priced,sick and depressed mixed breed puppies and kittens that were being sold for hundreds of dollars. But the one incident that stands out in my mind was over the Easter weekend when bunnies were left inside the front display window, the temperature was unseasonable warm and the animals ended up dying from heat stroke and dehydration. I visited the store several times and found the pets to be kept in bad conditions. They had nothing to lay on except the wire floors of the cages and the tiny dogs paws would fall through the wire when thet tried to walk. Usually they had no food, water or toys in the cages. When I would ask the young, uneducated/uncaring employees about this they would simply shrug and say they spill the water, knock over the food and chew up the toys so why bother. Scamps is a horrible place for animals to be bought and sold from. If you really want to help an animal in need go to a local rescue group or a shelter but never buy anything from a pet store including food, toys or other animal supplies.

Buyer beware! Then walk out the door 10.Feb.2009 14:42

Vet Tech

I am a vet tech and our clinic treats many pets (puppies and kittens mostly) whom have been purchased through Scamps. The most common puppy ailment is Parvo and kennel cough and with the kittens it is upper respiratory infections. There is no excuse for a pet store to sell sick and dying animals to the public. It is heartbreaking to the owners and an expense did not anticipate or can they afford. Not all the animals can be saved, some die, some need to be put down while some do survive. The sad part is when customers have gone back and informed the store they bought a sick animal from them they continue to sell the other puppies and kittens who were in direct contact with those who were ill and do not warn other prospective buyers or seek care for those who were exposed.

Let's hope he gets fired! 10.Feb.2009 15:59

Noodles

I just called the mall. They informed me that the corporate office and the management are looking into the matter. It seemed as though the woman who answered my questions was well aware of the situation; so she must have received several calls.

He was a guest speaker... 10.Feb.2009 17:21

Anonymous

Hey people,

Matt{the guy who was arrested} was a guest speaker on February 5th during my writing class at PCC. When my professor announced he got arrested at the beginning of class today, everyone had WTH looks on their faces.

The professor showed the YouTube tape of what happened at Lloyd Center on Saturday. Everyone in the room was either shouting "OMG", "Hey Matt", or something else in support of Matt's efforts.

Keep up the good work Matt.

discussion

Thank You 08.Feb.2009 08:41

Den Mark, Vancouver

Thank you, Cheerleaders, for caring for these animals that Scamps cares nothing about. I loathe that store & would that Oregonians stop even walking into the disgusting place. Staff there should be ashamed, but of course money is their only concern. Same with mall "security". They support such rogue enterprises, & make me puke.

awesome 08.Feb.2009 09:32

celticfire

nice action! I love it

coolest! 08.Feb.2009 10:37

gk

Radical cheerleaders and arrested protester, you are the coolest!

No guns in public places 08.Feb.2009 11:23

words not weapons

Imagine this same incident IF the rent-a-cops were armed.
OHSU intends to legislate for their goonies to carry guns.
Lets pledge to fight this insanity before it becomes law.
These are frustrated weak men with no power who want to prove themselves.
SAY NO TO GUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.

? 08.Feb.2009 14:09

gcsickboy

Trespassing and disorderly conduct? WTF?

attack based on sex 08.Feb.2009 14:30

dude

It looked that the mall guys

took there frustrations out on a man.

It looks like the girls could cheer away, but when a male could be

associated with the disturbance the mall police felt justified in

attack. It is unclear of course what happened in conversation but

what charges occured-but it is clear that they based there arrest

on sex. Its ok to attack males-not ok to attack females. Its odd

here is that the mall folk half way got the message-Its not ok to attack.

Keep up the good work Lloyd Center 08.Feb.2009 20:26

Customer of Lloyd Center

I am tired of these protesters who feel they can violate others rights and then scream about their rights. I have seen this guy protesting at the mall and I have seen him contacted several different times by security and told that he was on private property and could not protest there. Lloyd Center has given this guy lots of warnings and it was his choice to do what he did. He knew the risk and still decided to do this.

I have seen him several times at the mall protesting while holding his small child as a shield to prevent being arrested. He made a mistake of coming to protest this time without his baby to protect him. As a mother I find this sad that this man brings a baby to protect him while he protested in the past.

I hope this sends a message to protesters that there is a time and a place and coming onto private property repeatedly can and will lead to being arrested.

I think it is wonderful that you have given the courts a great video to show how out of control you and your group were and the public alarm they were creating.

As for me and my family we will continue to shop at the Lloyd Center and am thankful that they have security that protects us and stops people like you and your group from violating our rights being subjected to a mob and the mob mentality.

Keep up the Good Work Security!!! 08.Feb.2009 21:04

Jane Doe

Ive seen this same guy over the past month making a scene at the mall and being approached by security being told that Lloyd Center is private property. I'm so happy to see Lloyd Center Security standing up to people like this because I was there with myself and three children and it shows my kids that the cause and effect of not obeying the the rules and the consiquences of breaking the rules. Once again, I would like to praise Lloyd Center Security for a job well done once again and keep up the good work!!!

boycott Lloyd Center 08.Feb.2009 21:37

theresa mitchell

There was a time--maybe a long time--when retailers could use the private property laws in a seemingly public place--the mall-- to crush dissent. It has been going on for a long time--I remember the Buy Nothing Day protests that were run out, years ago. Insecurity guards know that they can count on those private-property laws to get away with a lot. They have their own little dungeon there at Lloyd Center, if I remember correctly. In any event, it's obnoxious to see hired thugs take down someone for speaking his mind.

Back in the day, a boycott didn't mean a hell of a lot, because the retail shops had a vastly greater propaganda presence--not just the lapdog media but their advertising flyers, and TV and newspaper ads--and they could shrug off such efforts.

But this is the Bush Depression. Things are different. The whole mall-retail industry is collapsing. I say it's time for a boycott--Boycott Thug Center!--because it might well destroy the remaining trickle of economic power there.

After that, maybe people could pressure the City Council to buy it and make it---ta daa!!---public property. A nice indoor public park, with a Food Not Bombs court and free skating...hmmmm.....

Matt (person who was arrested) 08.Feb.2009 22:12

hmm

is interviewed about it here:
 link to blogtown.portlandmercury.com

And - person who supposedly witnessed all this with your kids, and somehow camped out at the mall for a month to witness all this other stuff you say - I don't believe you for a second. Your story doesn't jibe with the facts. I believe you're mall security or a Scamp's employee, or someone who is cool with puppy mills and is trying to muddy the waters. But, just in case, why don't you contact the mall, and so they can use your statement while they're defending their case in court. Then you can proven a liar in court too. Liar - your pants are burning!

Patience Mr. Mall Policeman 09.Feb.2009 00:49

Sidra

The thing that gets me is why? Why are mall cops doing something that a real cop should do? It was stated befor that ther was no violent action taken? So why do mall cops assault a citizen for peacfull protest? Yes he refused to leave, but I'm sure the Officer gets paied by the hour. Why is it so important that they have to escilate an potentially allready volitile situation by detaining a peacfull protester? That makes them the bad guys, not the peacekeepers. Peacekeeping is there number one function. Not some personal problem they have wiith someone actulley standing up to something. Tell em to leave, Let them refuse, do crowd control untill a cop comes. Its not there job to take on the kind of liabillity that comes with taking someones civil liberty away.
Tell them to leave, if they refuse call a cop, the cop tells them to leave, if they refuse at that time, then yes its a criminal trespass and that Police Officer can make the arrest, if that is what is needed. More times than not, once the person seas a cop or hears that one is coming, they will leave, and isn't that all you wanted?
On that subject, the poor technique used by these Officer leads me to think that the company they work for dose not train them to do that function. Having worked in privet security before I wonder if there corparate police even allows them to make arrests. Most privet security companies are "hands off" meaning they are not trained, equipped, or paied to arrest anyone... ever. They are simply a proffesional witness. Anyone who has any sort of tact in physical combat or arresting techniques would of been able to affect that arrest in a more professional manner. I.E a POLICE Officer.
Insted we have oversellous power drunk idiots slaming perfectley peacfull people to the ground like they are hardened criminals. Now don't get me wong. If people came into the mall toating guns and starting fights and some Security Officers manage to stop them then yeah arrest those assholes Mall Cop. That's your time to shine, that's when people need a hero. But piledriving a protester for speaking out? Tthats not cool any way you slice it.
Overall I agree that someone, if not all of us, need to take these people down a notch. I would recomend to anyone filing suit on this subject to push hard for a copie of the security companies Officer Handbook and or policy guide. Find out just what, in wrighting, the Officer is, and is not allowed to do. Because not only will it help the public to avoid being victomized by power tripping un-professionals, but also it will help re form the structure of the security company. If they have to change there policy to allow for arresting, that could lead to a better paied, better educated, more professional Security Officer, and the end of "Rent a Cops."

Protests is why I stopped shopping dontown 09.Feb.2009 06:47

Lloyd Center keep these people out

People protesting is what has made downtown such an unpleasant place to shop and why I and many of my friends stopped going there. Lloyd Center in the last few years has changed and become a much safer and happy place to shop, eat and visit. I am happy they don't allow protesting in the mall and are willing to arrest and prosecute these people who violate private property rights as well as the rights of other people.

I guarantee if the Lloyd Center changed and went back to a total hands off approach to dealing with people committing crimes and the mall went back to what it was just a few short years ago a place not safe for me and my family, I will go somewhere else.

Thank you Lloyd Center for what you have done to change your mall. These situations are few and far between don't stop what you are doing.

Backwards 09.Feb.2009 09:18

Den Mark, Vancouver

I've seen the Radical Cheerleaders, & they are cool & funny & intelligent & spot-on, & most shoppers like them. It is VERY few jerks, like the couple ornery posters here, who do not want their tiny brains bothered by actual thoughts. Imagine! Actual THOUGHTS! I notice that neither of the ornery jerks in this thread disputed anything about the protesters' MESSAGE! Scamps is in fact guilty of disgusting crimes against innocent animals, & THAT is the message! And, if anyone is "hiding", it is the mall & its punk cops & some of its shoppers who hide behind pretending that a public place is not a public place. Spoiled-brat consumers want it both ways: a public place that is not a public place. Unfortunately there are always those who think they are the centers of the universe as privileged consumers, & simply want to consume & consume & consume, regardless of who or what suffers. Thanks to clever & brave protesters who show up at malls & downtown to stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. Justice FIRST!

A few facts and thoughts for the supporters of "The Mall" 09.Feb.2009 09:30

John B

The first amendment was designed to protect those of us who want to say things that aren't always popular or easy to hear. I can list a few thousand examples of speeches and rants that weren't popular at the time they were given, but our now seen as pivotal points in our history. "I have a dream"......"fuck you, Ill sit wherever I want"
"Stop abusing Animals", etc.

A someone who has gone through the process of becoming an armed/unarmed security guard in Oregon, I know, and you can read this too, that unless the person you are approaching is "threatening bodily harm, destroying property, or otherwise creating a physically dangerous or threatening environment", you can NOT use physical force, in this case, extreme physical force, to detain or stop them. Basically, under Oregon Law, an armed/unarmed security officer can NOT use physical force unless in defense of property or people that are in immediate threat of PHYSICAL VIOLENCE. You cant use force to shut someone up.

Also under Oregon law, when someone is "trespassed", meaning they have been told to leave the property and that they are now trespassing, they have 3 minutes to get off the property.

"Customer of Loyd Center"- The people protesting and the man arrested would never hurt you or your family. To speak as if the mall security officer protected you from anything but a dose of reality and truth, is a complete joke. These are compassionate people who are tired of seeing violence and abuse being committed against these animals and others around the world. I challenge you and your family (especially your kids)to watch videos, read websites, and look up information to see what motivated those courageous people to protest knowing there are crazy security folks looming and waiting to take out their anger on someone. If you and your kids can't stomach what you see you have to ask yourself why. After you watch the videos and see what these animals go through, be careful what you say about it in public. You and your kids could be slammed down to the ground and arrested for that....

Also, when the compassionate animal lovers of Oregon see what happened at the Loyd center we don't shy away from doing this again. We come together, we plan the next one and increase our tactics to reach more people to be more effective. The man arrested will have the overwhelming support of the community and he knows that.

Were not gonna stop until they do....

Ill see you all at the next one.................

To Sidra & other 09.Feb.2009 14:09

activist

I was there and they did not detain him. As you can see in the video he was walking towards his partner and child to leave the scene AND that is when he was tackled. Watch the video again. Matt did not break any laws. It was the security officer who broke the law. He was not supposed to touch Matt, especially tackle him to the ground. Anyone who knows Matt, including police officers, can tell you that Matt is very easy to work with and talk to. If Matt was ever told he was excluded from the mall he would not have shown up AND he definitely would not have shown up with his daughter and partner. He had no intention of getting arrested. The security officer you see at the beginning verbally told Matt in the past that "he COULD exclude him" but he never did. Matt never refused to leave. He was leaving. He was not detained, he was arrested with excessive force.

rights are not all inclusive 09.Feb.2009 14:19

snowfall in the forest

protesters want the publicity of being arrested and "vicimized", this is fairly easy to accomplish with an illegal protest on private property. The right to free speach does not exist on private property. Any private business can exclude anyone for any reason at any time.

There have been numerous times when a police or security officer have been killed or injured by a seemingly unarmed peaceful person. The security officers were just and correct in the handling of this situation, they were protecting themselves and mall patrons from threats seen and unseen. The Lloyd center will be getting more of my familys business because it is a safe place to shop. I am tired of protesters creating the appearance of being vicitmized.

I am a ceramics artist and I will be making handmade coffee cups for each of the security officers working at the Lloyd center for the excellent job they are doing in keeping the public safe.

Keep up the Good Work Security 09.Feb.2009 15:07

Susan Wade

It's about time mall seccurity done something. I saw this jerk last month when I took my children to see radio disney and security said over and over he could not do that since it was private property. This guy acted a jerk and thought he was superior and that there would be no consiquences. I felt mall security should have done more then, but am glad he was made an example. It showed my kids there are consiquences for your behavior. It caused a big scene in the mall and using his small todddler as a shield so he won't be arrested is barbarac. It is child abuse. I hope that this will show not only the protesters but to all people that security is there to provide a safe, secure environment to all people who work and shop there. I give props because 5 years ago, I was afraid to shop there with all the violence. Thank You Lloyd Center for what you have done to change the mall. It was really been cleaned up. Security stayed calm, was in control of the situation, and had it cleared up immediately and people and stores where able to conduct business. I am so thankful mall security is there and will continue to shop at Lloyd Center. By the way, has anyone taken the time to look at the entrances? It is posted what can and can't be done at the mall. I am forever grateful that my children had an oppotunity to witness this and see that security is there to help and protect. Keep on doing what you are doing!!!

Really Snowfall? 09.Feb.2009 17:00

gcsickboy

Do you honestly believe that manhandling someone that is voluntarily removing themselves from the premises as ordered is a good way of protecting themselves and mall patrons? You don't think that using an obviously unnecessary level of force might have the potential of actually increasing the danger presented to the guards and customers? A police officer was present...shouldn't he have been the one to detain and/or use force if it was indeed necessary? I don't follow your logic.

What if there was a mall.... 09.Feb.2009 17:52

And no one shopped?

If the Lloyd Center is such a rarefied milieu that the sight of people exercising their freedom of speech is irksome to some of its patrons, maybe Lloyd Center should charge an admission fee or a yearly membership fee for people to enter its sacred portals, much like the Portland Art Museum or the OMSI. Seriously, though, in this economy, are people even shopping at the Mall? In this economy, are people still paying $500+ for the family pet? Are some of the complaining patrons -- whose hackles are being raised because their shopping experience is being degraded by protesters exercising their free speech -- part of the wealthy elite that can still shop at high-priced stores, eat at the food courts and pay $10.00 for a film? Or are some of these complaining patrons people for whom the mall is their creative idea of a break from the couple of hours they would otherwise spend in front of the television? If people and their l'il darlings are so sensitive that they stopped shopping downtown and are considering stopping shopping at the Lloyd Center due to protesters, then maybe they should stay home and watch the Home Shopping Network or shop in their local malls in Clackamas or Washington State.

Do Your Thing 09.Feb.2009 18:09

@

Okay all you seasoned veterans and newbe/wannabe ALFer's, here is your chance to see what you are made of and where your wild imaginations can take you.
Visit a Scamps near you (they can be found in the phone book).Let your conscience be your guide and do some one-on-one direct actions. It is truly amazing what a concealed box cutter can do to over priced pet food,collars,leashes and toys (not bags stored on the front of the shelves as the mess is noticed immediately and after all the point is not to be caught).
And while you are at it don't forget Scamps warehouse, Apollo Pet Supply, where they ware house the animals before sending them out to the individual stores, located at 216 SE Washington Street, phone number 503-239-5768. Let Michael Twain, the owner, know what you think of his dirty little "SCAMS" Pet Shops.

um... 09.Feb.2009 18:52

HM

ok... "@"... not that your input isn't sincere,
but don't you think putting it out on a public
source was pretty sloppy?
nothing personal, but handing over the blueprint
of what to watch for kinda makes it now something
to forget about.
not judging... just saying.

Think & Act Individually 09.Feb.2009 20:24

@

HM,it was nothing more than a thought,actually more of an example,which was why the suggestion of using ones' own imagination was encouraged. There are many creative and spontaneous individuals who read this site and can act and think on their own.

re: witness this 09.Feb.2009 21:09

a traveler

"I am forever grateful that my children had an oppotunity to witness this and see that security is there to help and protect. Keep on doing what you are doing!!! "

yes, they're well on their way to becoming nice little passive and indoctrinated citizens, fully internalizing the belief that people need to be controlled and dominated — just like you have, apparently. maybe someday in the future your children will turn you into the police for thoughtcrime; maybe someday you'll be greatful for that too.

derrick jensen wisely wrote that not literally every single police officer is bad, and that cops can occasionally do good things (say, *occasionally* rescue someone from a fucked up and abusive situation, get a cat down from the tree, be used to uphold a logging injunction). however, these are exceptions to the rule: the police, as both people and as an istiution, protect the rich and their property. that is the main function of this apparatus, and it is neither inevitable nor necessary. any support the dispossessed occasionally receive is 'trickle down' at best.

many of the responses posted on the youtube video are sad, really, full of compassionless and judgmental contempt for people who try to raise any kind of awareness. they show such an utter obvliviousness to the pain and suffering of others — it must be cool to make fun of 'hippies' or something like that these days. i can't say i'm really down with the radical cheerleader tactics (as in, i don't think i'd participate in this way), but for me this isn't even a question of tactics, it's just a question of sensitivity. -

traveler

another response 09.Feb.2009 21:16

a traveler

"As U.S. citizens we are all blessed with free speach, freedom of assembly, and the right to keep and bear arms. The same Bill of Rights that protects citizens rights to protest on public property also protects every citizens right to self protectionin public. If we as citizens choose to eliminate the freedoms with which we do not agree then we have no freedoms at all. "

ah, hilarious self-delusional nonsense. someone must have been watching about 20 years too many of cnn. "we" the people is an illusion, enforced by guns and the military force that this country has used to steal resources since its inception. the community you name yourself as part of functions in the interest of the rich, a very small minority. it is their interests that the "we" hides. the interests to exploit, to control, to possess. this disease of domination. these words: "freedom of assembly, speech, etc" — they are merely psychological propaganda that are based on contradiction to historical fact (slavery, genocide of indigenous people, internment camps, class hierarchies, gender hierarchies, destruction of the environment)

your rights will be revoked as soon as you express opinions and actions that tangibly stop the flow of capital, the global economy and attempt to restore health to this planet which in case you didn't notice, is in a lot of pain and misery. use your critical thinking skills and connect the dots.
then see where your "freedom" lands you.

traveler

really traveler? 10.Feb.2009 13:15

snowfall in the forest

Traveler

Please feel free to step down from the victim pedestal and traveler to a country where you have no rights. Perhaps then you will recognize how lucky all citizens are in the great country in which we live.
Everyone makes a choice how to live their lives, some make the choice to pretend they are victims while others choose not to be victims at all. Believe it or not the rich and well connected choose the position they are in and the victims choose to be what they believe they are - victims. This is eternal.

I have fought for and risked my life to defend your rights and am glad that you have found a venue in which to excersize your them.

I will also never buy a pet from a puppy mill or pet store, all of my pets have and always will be rescue animals. But, I will spend a good chunck of a sweet stimulus check the new president sends me at the Lloyd Center mall.

I think the snowfall in the forest has melted 10.Feb.2009 13:31

StevetheGreen

Snowfall wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consume at the mall?
Now those are the type of values any "good 'Mercan" would be proud of!

By the way, don't hold your breath waiting for that stimulus check.
I guess the mall will have to wait.

waiting 10.Feb.2009 14:42

snowfall in the forest

"By the way, don't hold your breath waiting for that stimulus check.
I guess the mall will have to wait."

I guess I should stop waiting for our new president to by me a new car, kitchen and bathroom as well.

The truth will set you free. 10.Feb.2009 15:40

the tax and dime

Check out this bombshell the Portlan Mercury posted on the "Retail" Security at Lloyd Center, and what they where supposed to do.

link to blogtown.portlandmercury.com

The truth will set you free. 10.Feb.2009 17:34

the tax and dime

link to blogtown.portlandmercury.com

ick 10.Feb.2009 17:45

how do these people find this site anyway

> some make the choice to pretend they are victims

Whenever it's time to get "tough on crime" people like this don't have any trouble crying for the victims.

They just LIKE some kinds of victimization. You don't count as a victim if they approve of your victimization.

> I have fought for and risked my life to defend your rights

That doesn't seem likely.

Most people who say things like this are talking about killing foreigners to preserve imperial power.

Power and Control 10.Feb.2009 17:59

Sageflower

This rent-a-cops think they are all that. They are the same at the free movies screenings. These are people who think they are something and that physcial power is everything.

Snowfall 10.Feb.2009 19:50

gcsickboy

True. Everyone chooses his or her path. Those great smugglers (Hancock and the two Adams), that celebrated advocate of property protection (i.e. slavery) and western expansion (i.e. theft) (Henry), and that esteemed warrior, previously snubbed during his military career (Washington) all made the choice to quit pretending to be victims. Sometimes civil disobedience and even *gasp* armed revolt are necessary in order to break from the victim mentality.

In regards to liberty, "At least you're not as bad off as ____." condolences only have relevance to victims, those that assume that nothing can be improved and so do all that they can to rationalize inaction and acceptance of the status quo.

Mall Cops should be fired 11.Feb.2009 18:38

Amy

The Mall Cops who took down that guy should be fired AND sued. I just read on the Portland Mercury that the Lloyd Center security officer training manual forbids any touching, physical force etc. They are not trained police officers so they should not be acting like one.

Article in the Portland Mercury today 12.Feb.2009 10:09