newswire article reporting portland metro

health | police / legal

OHSU to Hire Armed Guards

On 11/19/2008, OHSU president Joe Robertson sent an email to all employees outlining the recommendations of the organization's "Critical Incident Readiness Task Force" regarding the appropriateness of having an armed presence on campus.

The following is the content of that email.
Joe Robertson, President, OHSU
Joe Robertson, President, OHSU
The safety of our employees, students, patients and visitors is of the utmost importance to me. Following recent campus shootings at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois universities, OHSU has been reviewing its readiness to respond to a similar critical incident, including whether we should have an armed presence on campus. This is a sensitive issue for me as well as others and I wanted to get input from a variety of stakeholders.

I appointed a public task force to consider our current ability to respond to a critical incident and to make recommendations about additional steps necessary to ensure the continued safety of the OHSU community.

The Critical Incident Readiness Task Force includes employees, students, representatives from local law enforcement and government, and Portland-area residents, among other stakeholders. During the past four months, the 23 member group heard testimony from internal stakeholders, including the OHSU public safety director and external emergency communications and law enforcement professionals, including Portland Police Chief Rosie Sizer and a representative from the University of Iowa, which recently decided to arm its officers. The task force also heard testimony from the public and viewed the results of more than 200 internal and external responses to an online survey.

After extensive discussion, the task force recommended OHSU pursue having an armed presence on campus.

The task force recommends one of two options to reach this objective: 1) seeking the authority to employ its own armed campus police officers, or 2) contracting with a local police department to provide armed officers on campus. This recommendation is contingent on any armed officers having completed training, including attending the state police academy, supplemental campus public safety training, cultural awareness and critical incident training, which includes techniques for intervening with individuals who may have a mental illness. In addition OHSU would establish an official review process for any use of a firearm, and a commitment to ongoing training and professional development for campus police officers.

The task force also recommended OHSU pursue updating the statute governing OHSU public safety officers to clarify their roles and authorities regardless of whether we move forward with pursuing an armed presence.

This is only a recommendation and at this point I have not decided whether this is the right path for OHSU. I will take these recommendations to the OHSU Board of Directors and executive leadership team before a final decision is made.

I want to thank all of you who have contributed to this thoughtful process. I understand this is a sensitive and emotionally charged issue. Your opinions and robust discussion will help me as I ponder this difficult decision. I will continue to share information with you as we move forward with this process.

Joe Robertson, M.D., M.B.A.
President, OHSU

Isn't this... a HOSPITAL? 23.Nov.2008 09:53

And a UNIVERSITY??

Well this just makes *so* much sense. As we all know what a great idea it is to have guns inside hospitals. Remember Jose Mejia Poot? Shot to death by police in a mental hospital? What's the first recommendation that came out of that whole thing? DON'T BRING GUNS INTO HOSPITALS. The hospital was actually CLOSED DOWN for GOOD in the fallout from that event.

Did OHSU not learn from that? Do they need to make their own mistakes rather than learn from those of others?

And it's also a university. What kind of parents want their kids going to school at a place where security guards stalk around with guns?? Especially those security guards.

Having worked at OHSU, and having known the public safety officers up there, I will tell you categorically that I would *never* go up there again if those security guards start walking around with guns. Seriously.

Just who do they think they are up there??

Maybe they could contract with Clackamas County 23.Nov.2008 10:04

Askance

Perhaps they could have David Willard patrolling the halls for them. After all, he was highly trained by the CCSO in crisis intervention, and how to deal with people who are mentally ill, and in responding to all kinds of emergencies that might come up in a hospital setting. Seems like he would be a good man for the job, doesn't it? After all, he already has all the training that this task force is recommending for the potential armed guard.

Oh. By the way, Willard responded to an accident scene a couple of years ago, where he shot a man to death because the man, though obviously unarmed, was bloody and "unresponsive." He'd already had all the special training at that time. He said that the training helped him make his decision to shoot Fouad Kaady to death, because "in the training we received, I learned that drug addicts can carry blood born pathogens, and he looked like a drug addict, and he was bloody." As he told investigators, "I feared for my life." Not because the man was threatening Willard in any way, but because he was bloody. Because, you know, those blood born pathogens can include scary things like, "Hepatitis B and maybe the AIDS virus." (Incidentally, Kaady was not on drugs, was not threatening the officers, and as far as anyone knows, was not carrying hep B or AIDS.)

Willard had all the required training and then some. And yet, instead of just putting on gloves, or better yet, WAITING FOR PARAMEDICS to respond, he shot an unarmed accident victim to death for no reason. This is what happens when you give a cop a gun and put them around vulnerable people.

Good idea, Robertson. Yeah. Gooooood idea.

Or, they could ask PPB to help 23.Nov.2008 10:26

Cops in Hospitals don't mix

Aside from shooting an unarmed man to death in a mental hospital, Portland police officers have also managed to beat to death a small, vulnerable, unarmed, mentally ill man whose only crime was looking like he might be homeless. They broke every rib in his body and crushed his lungs, and then tortured him to death. Oh, but they're not all bad. Sometimes they interact well with people who are mentally ill. Well, there was that one time. There was a mentally ill woman down on 6th ave threatening to kill herself. They stopped her from doing that. Oh, wait. Come to think of it, they prevented her from killing herself by shooting her to death. So maybe that's not such a good example. Well, maybe they could interact safely with sick people who are not mentally ill. Let's see... there was the time that a little boy with Leukemia was being held hostage... They responded to that. But... they shot the little kid to death, come to think of it. Hmmm. There must be some example of how great it would be to have armed cops in hospitals.

Maybe they could help people who have physical disabilities. That's what I think they were trying to do for the person whose wheelchair they confiscated, saying that the chair was purchased with illegal drug money because there marijuana in the house. Turns out, it was medical marijuana, the person had a card for it, and the cops had dumped the person out of it and stolen the wheelchair illegally. So maybe they're not so good with people with physical disabilities either.

What about working with elderly people? They come to hospitals sometimes. Well, let's see. There was the little old lady who didn't want the city to come and take the decorative wagon off her lawn. She got mad and tried to take the wagon back out of the truck that came to remove it for being a public nuisance. How did the police respond to that? Um, they pepper sprayed the little old lady and knocked out her glass eye. And then, when her 90 year old mother came running out to help her 75 year old daughter, they knocked her down and I think they broke her hip. If memory serves, anyway.

Gee. Maybe it's not such a great idea to have armed cops in hospitals after all....

...ya think?

No way! 23.Nov.2008 11:19

Former rentacop

I formerly worked at OHSU Security (Public Safety, whatever) for several years, I have some pretty first hand knowledge of the people pool that was available to hire in that field. There is no way that most of them should be qualified to carry a water gun, let alone tasers or actual bullet launchers. It is also patently wrong to assume that there is likely ever to be a time when a person, or a security guard is confronted with a situation where a gun would be the solution of choice to whatever the problem might be. There are concrete walls, with extreme ricochet hazard. There is oxygen, as well as numerous hyper flammable material to be considered, and most of all, there are patients and families to consider.
As I have previously stated, in my years on campus, my worst fear was that some gun toting cop from downtown, or a deputy, would arrive on campus at the panic call from one of our officers, and he or she would see it as their only option to begin pumping bullets around campus. Does anyone recall the incident a few years back, where some gun happy PoPo cops sprayed all of Lloyd Center with something like, twenty two high velocity rounds, in the "pursuit" of a low level possible criminal? Fortunately, no one was injured. Can anybody visualize all of those rounds flying about a hospital or university hall without killing innocents? I cannot.
The real reason the "officers" at OHSU are pushing for guns (other than the normal masculine reasons) is that it would confer on them yet another Police-like "authority," thus putting them in line for the more lucrative pay and retirement benefits that are afforded to cops in the mistaken view that they are protectors of society.
In the words of Nancy Reagan, for God sake, "JUST SAY NO" to neanderthals with guns.

To Former RentACop 24.Nov.2008 12:58

Anon

Former RentACop
You claim to be a past employee of OHSU, while others claim to be currently working at the facility. My question to you and anyone else with inside information regarding OHSU, Public Safety and the Primate Center: are you willing to come forward and share your knowledge and experiences? Naturally, you can remain anonymous but some sort of contact would be helpful in case of needed verification or additional information. If you are willing to speak up and help both animals and humans please respond on this site and a mailing contact will be provided.

OHSU Is Being Run By Empire Builders 25.Nov.2008 14:07

ranger

Having also worked there, I do not see how this is justified, aside from the potential danger of harming innocents. Are these people crazy? From my experience, there is a lot of politics going on at OHSU and lots of people building their own little empires and justifying their existence.

A very open murder conspiracy in portland oregon 06.Jan.2009 21:36

Terry Wagar wagar4075@comcast.net

Eric Carlson and Joan Wagar, A,K,A, Doubleclick and Mrs Dash,( yes those are there nicknames they gave each other.) admitted to poisoning me while I was a plasma donor back in 2005. Eric Carlson pedofied me behind prison walls and then framed me as a pedophile on march 26th 2007, I caught the crime on a audio recorder I put in Joan's purse. there were people in authority helping them with this and nobody in authority will help they pretend nothing happened and refuse to investigate this. Eric Carlson changed his hair color and his name but this is not hidden, only ignored by the authority's and media I'm disabled from being poisoned and the hospitals refuse to admit I'm poisoned. My Family is in danger from these people and I have no other recorse but to make these charges public. My name is Terry Wagar,Im from Portland Oregon and I'm backing up these charges. I have been threatened with harassment charges by a Sargent Walker, She is a portland police officer stationed at the OHSU hospital, for the non crime of reporting a multi murder conspiracy within that hospital. They dont give a s4!t Joan and Eric was poisoning a plasma donor! And how many god damn john ray's in authority are there in portland oregon! You damn serial killer.

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:31

Terry Wagar battlehunter@hotmail.com

Eric Carlson and Joan Wagar, A,K,A,

Doubleclick and Mrs Dash,( yes those are

there nicknames they gave each other.)

admitted to poisoning me while I was a plasma

donor back in 2005.
Eric Carlson pedofied me behind prison walls

and then framed me as a pedophile on march

26th 2007, I caught the crime on a audio

recorder I put in Joan's purse.
there were people in authority helping them

with this and nobody in authority will help

they pretend nothing happened and refuse to

investigate this.
Eric Carlson changed his hair color and his

name to Gashel and Clackamas Walmart was

hiding him from my Family by pretending He's

someone else but this is not hidden, only

ignored by the authority's and media
I'm disabled from being poisoned and the

hospitals refuse to admit I'm poisoned.
My Family is in danger from these people and

I have no other recorse but to make these

charges public.
My name is Terry Wagar,Im from Portland

Oregon and I'm backing up these charges.
I have been threatened with harassment

charges by a Sargent Walker, She is a

portland police officer stationed at the OHSU

hospital, for the non crime of reporting a

multi murder conspiracy within that hospital.
They dont give a s4!t Joan and Eric was

poisoning a plasma donor!
And how many god damn John Ray's in authority

are there in portland oregon!
You damn serial killer.
Where did Mrs Dash keep her stash? in A

Garlic Salt Shaker!
What did Doubleclick do with his Dick? You

Pedophile!
Why you hiding A body double for Clackamas

Walmart?

78.shtml

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:34

Terry Wagar battlehunter@hotmail.com

Eric Carlson and Joan Wagar, A,K,A,

Doubleclick and Mrs Dash,( yes those are

there nicknames they gave each other.)

admitted to poisoning me while I was a plasma

donor back in 2005.
Eric Carlson pedofied me behind prison walls

and then framed me as a pedophile on march

26th 2007, I caught the crime on a audio

recorder I put in Joan's purse.
there were people in authority helping them

with this and nobody in authority will help

they pretend nothing happened and refuse to

investigate this.
Eric Carlson changed his hair color and his

name to Gashel and Clackamas Walmart was

hiding him from my Family by pretending He's

someone else but this is not hidden, only

ignored by the authority's and media
I'm disabled from being poisoned and the

hospitals refuse to admit I'm poisoned.
My Family is in danger from these people and

I have no other recorse but to make these

charges public.
My name is Terry Wagar,Im from Portland

Oregon and I'm backing up these charges.
I have been threatened with harassment

charges by a Sargent Walker, She is a

portland police officer stationed at the OHSU

hospital, for the non crime of reporting a

multi murder conspiracy within that hospital.
They dont give a s4!t Joan and Eric was

poisoning a plasma donor!
And how many god damn John Ray's in authority

are there in portland oregon!
You damn serial killer.
Where did Mrs Dash keep her stash? in A

Garlic Salt Shaker!
What did Doubleclick do with his Dick? You

Pedophile!
Why you hiding A body double for Clackamas

Walmart?

78.shtml

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:38

Terry Wagar battlehunter@hotmail.com

Eric Carlson and Joan Wagar, A,K,A,

Doubleclick and Mrs Dash,( yes those are

there nicknames they gave each other.)

admitted to poisoning me while I was a plasma

donor back in 2005.
Eric Carlson pedofied me behind prison walls

and then framed me as a pedophile on march

26th 2007, I caught the crime on a audio

recorder I put in Joan's purse.
there were people in authority helping them

with this and nobody in authority will help

they pretend nothing happened and refuse to

investigate this.
Eric Carlson changed his hair color and his

name to Gashel and Clackamas Walmart was

hiding him from my Family by pretending He's

someone else but this is not hidden, only

ignored by the authority's and media
I'm disabled from being poisoned and the

hospitals refuse to admit I'm poisoned.
My Family is in danger from these people and

I have no other recorse but to make these

charges public.
My name is Terry Wagar,Im from Portland

Oregon and I'm backing up these charges.
I have been threatened with harassment

charges by a Sargent Walker, She is a

portland police officer stationed at the OHSU

hospital, for the non crime of reporting a

multi murder conspiracy within that hospital.
They dont give a s4!t Joan and Eric was

poisoning a plasma donor!
And how many god damn John Ray's in authority

are there in portland oregon!
You damn serial killer.
Where did Mrs Dash keep her stash? in A

Garlic Salt Shaker!
What did Doubleclick do with his Dick? You

Pedophile!
Why you hiding A body double for Clackamas

Walmart?

78.shtml

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:41

Terry Wagar battlehunter@hotmail.com

Eric Carlson and Joan Wagar, A,K,A, Doubleclick and Mrs Dash,( yes those are there nicknames they gave each other.) admitted to poisoning me while I was a plasma donor back in 2005. Eric Carlson pedofied me behind prison walls and then framed me as a pedophile on march 26th 2007, I caught the crime on a audio recorder I put in Joan's purse. there were people in authority helping them with this and nobody in authority will help they pretend nothing happened and refuse to investigate this. Eric Carlson changed his hair color and his name to Gashel and Clackamas Walmart was hiding him from my Family by pretending He's someone else but this is not hidden, only ignored by the authority's and media I'm disabled from being poisoned and the hospitals refuse to admit I'm poisoned. My Family is in danger from these people and I have no other recorse but to make these charges public. My name is Terry Wagar,Im from Portland Oregon and I'm backing up these charges. I have been threatened with harassment charges by a Sargent Walker, She is a portland police officer stationed at the OHSU hospital, for the non crime of reporting a multi murder conspiracy within that hospital. They dont give a s4!t Joan and Eric was poisoning a plasma donor! And how many god damn John Ray's in authority are there in portland oregon! You damn serial killer. Where did Mrs Dash keep her stash? in A Garlic Salt Shaker! What did Doubleclick do with his Dick? You Pedophile! Why you hiding A body double for Clackamas Walmart? http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2008/11/3827 78.shtml

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:48

Terry Wagar battlehunter@hotmail.com

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:50

Terry Wagar battlehunter@hotmail.com

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:55

Terry Wagar battlehunter@hotmail.com

Eric Carlson and Joan Wagar, A,K,A, Doubleclick and Mrs Dash,( yes those are there nicknames they gave each other.) admitted to poisoning me while I was a plasma donor back in 2005. Eric Carlson pedofied me behind prison walls and then framed me as a pedophile on march 26th 2007, I caught the crime on a audio recorder I put in Joan's purse. there were people in authority helping them with this and nobody in authority will help they pretend nothing happened and refuse to investigate this. Eric Carlson changed his hair color and his name to Gashel and Clackamas Walmart was hiding him from my Family by pretending He's someone else but this is not hidden, only ignored by the authority's and media I'm disabled from being poisoned and the hospitals refuse to admit I'm poisoned. My Family is in danger from these people and I have no other recourse but to make these charges public. My name is Terry Wagar,I'm from Portland Oregon and I'm backing up these charges. I have been threatened with harassment charges by a Sargent Walker, She is a Portland police officer stationed at the OHSU hospital, for the non crime of reporting a multi-murder conspiracy within that hospital. They don't give a s4!t Joan and Eric was poisoning a plasma donor! And how many god damn John Ray's in authority are there in Portland Oregon! You damn serial killer. Where did Mrs Dash keep her stash? in A Garlic Salt Shaker! What did Doubleclick do with his Dick? You Pedophile! Why you hiding A body double for Clackamas Walmart? http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2008/11/3827 78.shtml

open murder conspiracy in Clackamas Walmart 11.Apr.2009 22:58