newswire article reposts portland metro

animal rights | community building

Family Dog Hit with Hammer then Burried Alive in Forest Grove

This is Horrible
I cut and pasted the entire article...
from
From KOMO news... written today:
WARNING: THIS STORY IS GRAPHIC IN NATURE

FOREST GROVE, Ore. - He said he was trying to put a dog out of its misery but how he went about doing it is raising questions.

"I went out and I took a hammer and hit her and I thought I'd killed her pretty good," said Hyrum Long, about his 14-year-old dog, Molly, who he said had been suffering.

"When I left, she was not making no noise or movement," he said. "(Otherwise) I would have stayed with her and made sure she was dead."

Long said after striking the dog with a hammer and burying her, he and his family went to dinner. And that is when neighbors heard the dog's cries.

And what they discovered was shocking - a dog buried up to its neck and suffering from an obvious head injury. There was a pillow under the dog's head and a log on top of that.

"She dug her way out," said Long.

"She foamed at the mouth," said Susan Johnson, who also owns the dog. "She showed no signs of life and I wanted her buried here because I'm that close to my dog."

It turned out Molly was alive and she was taken to the Oregon Humane Society to be treated for multiple injuries. However, she was so badly hurt that they ended up euthanizing her.

"This is a bad, bad thing to see," said Kris Otteman with the Oregon Humane Society. "This is a really devastating case and the main issue with it is that I think it's obvious that the dog had been suffering for a long period of time."

The owners said they didn't have the money to euthanize the dog and ultimately just wanted to bury her at home. And they said they never meant to harm her.

"Now I wished I'd let her die on her own," said Long. "I'd never want to see an animal suffer like that."

Police say there are a lot of unanswered questions. A criminal case has been opened and possible charges include aggravated animal abuse.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm sorry but there is no justification for what this guy did. A HAMMER?????
How is it that one can justify or rationalize hitting a beloved pet with a hammer????

Something needs to be done about this.
No Comprimise for Justice!
meow

Point 27.Oct.2008 09:19

HisssMeow

How is it that people can say they didn't have the money for euthanization (or treatment?) but can justify going out to eat?
I find it repulsive and there cannot be a viable excuse to let them get away with this.
I can see he sounds pretty stupid by his comments, but still.
I know it would be a totally different story if it was a human child they put out of misery and burried alive by accident.
But to me there is no difference.

Point 27.Oct.2008 09:21

HisssMeow

I can see he sounds pretty stupid by his comments, but still.
But to me there is no difference.

NOT OK!!!! 27.Oct.2008 09:59

mAry

This is disgusting and cruel! If they really loved their dog, they would have saved up money or asked for help on getting their dog euthanized if it was suffering. Hitting a dog's head with a hammer requires an amount of insanity.....not just anyone can do that. This guy needs to get his head checked and it should be made sure that he never has contact with other animals. Would he keep hitting his mother over the head with a hammer to kill her if she was suffering from health problems? Is this being taken as an animal cruelty case or does he get off because he's an idiot?

Animal Cruelty!!! 27.Oct.2008 10:04

mAry

"The owners could have taken Molly to a shelter or had her euthanized for free." OHS Veterinarian and center director Kris Otteman said.

Justice For All Animals 27.Oct.2008 11:57

Fido

there is no excuse for animal abuse!

Actions for Animals 27.Oct.2008 12:35

mouse

I would really like to see people getting together and doing something about the animal cruelty that is happening in our neighborhoods (I'm speaking for myself too). Besides, fur, vivisection, foie gras etc. There really is no demos or actions taken against people who abuse domesticated animals in our own town. IF the abusers are actually found guilty of animal abuse/cruelty they pay a fine...maybe a little jail time and that is IF they are found guilty in court. Neighbors need to know who they are living next to. I know I would like to know. I also think when these people go to court....activists need to be there. We need to write letters to the judge expressing our concern that people who abuse animals often abuse people too. It just frusterates me seeing all these animal cruelty cases and the animal abusers walk away free. They go on with their happy little lives like they did nothing wrong. People need to be educated that if they abuse their animals, it will not go unnoticed.

www.pet-abuse.com is a great website to stay up to date on animal cruelty cases everywhere.....they even have a picture of the dog that was found buried alive in Forest Grove :'(

indymedia is not your blog 27.Oct.2008 15:55

yes everybody is against hitting cute doggies with hammers

oh oh this is terrible boooo !!!!1!

heart broken 27.Oct.2008 19:23

HisssMeow

Since I found this article last night and posted it on here my mind has been in shock, constantly thinking and telling people.

I say start with a memorial for Molly.

Sunday is Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos). A group of friends and I will have a procession at sundown on Alberta near tenth. We will have a wheeled shrine to put hand made shrine peices on and will proceed up Alberta. Wear black/funeral attire, whitened faces, etc. Bring noise makers, candles, flowers for the dead, etc.

I am going to make a shrine for Molly as well as for my father.
Anyone can join us.

"indymedia is not your blog" 27.Oct.2008 19:30

HisssMeow

and my apologies if posting it on here offends you.
I hadn't seen it until late last night and saw nothing
regarding this incident on here, so I found it important
to post in on here since there are many many posts as
to what is happening out here.
No I'm not the author of the article.
I didn't find it appropriate to write a new one as I would
only wander from the reality of it, puting it into my own
words.
I feel that if more people know then more people are aware
and more heat will get out there to prevent such occurances
and place priority of bringing justice to those who do.
As said earlier, if this happened to a child it wouldn't
be a criminal case with "possible" charges.

FYI 28.Oct.2008 14:02

RIP MOLLY

Hyrum F Long
2235 Laurel St
Forest Grove, OR 97116-1839
(503) 357-5212

FYI 28.Oct.2008 15:01

RIP MOLLY

Hyrum F Long
2235 Laurel St
Forest Grove, OR 97116-1839
(503) 357-5212

Update 28.Oct.2008 18:50

HisssMeow

Ok, so they were arrested last night,
Long was charged with
aggravated animal abuse in the first degree,
a felony,
and Johnson charged with
animal neglect in the first degree,
a misdemeanor.
Both were released from jail this morning (Tuesday) with no bail.

Call the District Attorney's office.
Call the Humane Society
Call anyone else you can think of
that has any kind of hand in such
matters.
Tell them they must not compromise
and there MUST be justice done~

Humane Society:
Lead Humane Investigator
Lisa Coleman
(503) 285-7722, ext 214
Humane Investigator
Austin Wallace
(503) 285-7722, ext 214
yes, the same numbers as this was taken from the OHS page.

District attorney's office
503-846-8671

This guy is Dangerous 29.Oct.2008 08:49

little pup

This man is a sicko and should spend some time in jail. You don not put a loved one out of their misery with a hammer... This is not love but a hienous crime. I hope this guy gets flat tires for the rest of his fucking life. This type of action makes me regret being a member of the human race. Only cold, calculating, sick fuckers would think hitting a dog again and again on the head with a hammer and than bury her alive is a compassionate way to help a loved one. This is a serious crime and should be dealt with accordingly.. These sick folks need jail time or a long walk on a short pier. Society does not need people who problem solve with such cruelty.