portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article announcements global

human & civil rights | police / legal

Three Years Since Fouad Kaady Was Murdered By Cops

Another anniversary

It has been three years since Fouad Kaady was cruelly murdered on a rural road outside of Sandy Oregon, and still the perpetrators have not been brought to justice, although their names are well known:
Officer William Bergin, currently on suspension (for some unnamed violation) from the Sandy Police Department, and Deputy David Willard, of the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office were among dozens of first responders at the scene that day, having responded to several panicked calls regarding a couple of traffic accidents. These accidents were called hit and run, in order to make a lame attempt at justifying what followed. In actuality, what had happened is that the victim was carrying a can of gasoline in his car, which caught fire, engulfing him in flames. He could hardly be expected to be in control of himself or his vehicle from that point on.

When our intrepid first responders arrived, there were already several other officers, firemen, and even an ambulance within the small circle where the victim had last been observed, fleeing the burning car, and peeling off his remaining close. What happened next can only be described and murder, or at the very least, manslaughter. Our two "heroes," upon learning that a citizen had seen the victim emerging from the woods less than a half mile from where all of the cops and firemen had converged, jumped into Bergin's car, to be the first to apprehend the "suspect."

When they found him, the officers both described him as "naked, sitting cross legged, at the edge of the roadway, rocking back and forth, moaning, and catatonic. They deduced from this appearance, that their weapons of choice (Bergin with a Glock, Willard his shotgun) would not be needed. They jumped from Bergin's car, leaving it running, one of them squealing something barely intelligible into his mike about having located the "suspect," and tossing the now useless but loaded shotgun onto the hood of the patrol car. Advancing to Fouad's location, they began shouting the usual plethora of unintelligible orders at the catatonic victim, who politely ignored their commands to prone his bleeding, burned body on the hot pavement.

Still high on testosterone and adrenalin, Bergin then completely discharged his taser into the badly burned man's back. Fouad was still unable to respond, so Willard followed suit. Now, both of their "less lethal" weapons were empty, and Fouad was so tortured that he somehow managed to rise, and to flee to the nearest high ground, which happened to be the cop's car. Both cops had decided by this time that they could not, would not, touch the victim, for any reason, out of fear of his "bodily fluids." They had also decided that there was no way that they could allow him to leave his current location, so they both shot him several times, until he finally fell dead.

The time it took for these crime fighters to snuff out a human life? 28 seconds. Start counting. It took exactly 28 seconds from the time that one of the coppers screamed into the mike, attempting to notify the 911 operator that they had apprehended the "suspect," until the time that they got back onto the air to notify said dispatcher that they needed an ambulance, to attend to the now very deceased victim. In this 28 seconds, they CLAIMED that they had given him very clear orders, that he had disobeyed, and that he had threatened to kill them (which he had no means to accomplish, and which threat several nearby witnesses failed to hear), and they had discharged completely two taser weapons, and then five shots from their handguns. All of the foregoing is related much more concisely in the Indy film, "28 Seconds, the Killing of Fouad Kaady, and can be viewed here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8WijDe5BhQ

The Clackamas County District Attorney, John Foote, could not get an indictment. The Sheriff, Craig Roberts, found no fault with the way the incident was handled. Famed Wyoming Lawyer, Gerry Spence, Begs to differ. For that reason, he, and his law firm have undertaken a civil suit in the name of Fouad's parents, pro bono. That is, for good, or for free. Coming to a court near you, but as the wheels of justice grind very slowly, I cannot provide a date certain. Watch this space for updates, and please,
remember Fouad and his family.

Thanks 08.Sep.2008 07:50

Den Mark, Vancouver

Thank you for honoring Fouad with another memorial. I do think about the family, a lot. This crime was so egregious that i'll never forget it. Why, oh why, is government unable, unwilling, to hold police to decent standards. Why, oh why, does government assume that every cop is a good cop, when that is clearly not true.

I'll second that thank you 08.Sep.2008 18:29

Jody Paulson

When is the dam holding back the tide of justice finally going to break? Thank you, Portland Indymedia, for keeping alive a story which should have outraged the nation.

Irony of ironies 08.Sep.2008 20:45


It does seem very sad, indeed. I note with disgust all of the uproar over the poor man who, admittedly drunk and combative, was killed in a Mexican jail. The Mexican authorities at least locked up the cops who they consider to be responsible. In our case, a Mexican national (Jose Mejia Poot) was shot and killed inside a secure psychiatric facility, and the cops not only were not arrested, not disciplined, but were given medals for heroism. Something has to change, and soon!

Again, Den Mark, and Jody, thank you for keeping Fouad's memory alive.

Belated Thanks 11.Sep.2008 20:10

Madam Hatter

Been away, but better late than never, right? Thanks, Lew.