PDX Mural Show Closing Party & Live Paint event
Free event: hear 5 bands watch over 20 artists paint!!
ALL DAY BLOCK PARTY!!!
Featuring Portland artist Tom Cramer on stage with special presentaions at 3:30 pm.
The Portland Mural Show is closing its two month run with a
Block Party and Paint Off on Saturday June 28th from noon-6pm.
Olympic Mills Commerce Center
107 SE Washington St. (gold colored bldg, entrance south of 2nd & Stark St.)
MURAL SHOW CLOSING PARTY
LIVE PAINT- noon- 6
LIVE MUSIC- MDC, Hello Cleveland, Paulrus is Dead and The Chesstones & DJs
special on-stage live paint with Tom Cramer and short presentations in the afternoon.
LAST CHANCE TO SEE THIS ART
Don't this final opportunity to see the Portland Mural Show- located on the main floor on the Olympic Mills Commerce Center and in two side galleries. This is a rare & unique exhibit of murals, tools & equipment used in making large outdoor art, photos of murals-in-progress, cartoons of murals, and new work by over 30 Portland area artists.
Showcasing a wide range of styles & approaches, this exhibit is a snapshot of what PDX muralists have done in recent years.
This may be your last chance to see:
- "Struggle & Hope" a 1988 community mural designed by lead artist Bill Garnett (1939-2004) and over 50 volunteers was reassembled in the exhibit hall for public display after 15 years of storage in a warehouse. This powerful mural was sponsored by Portland Central America Solidarity COmmittee and the Portland/Corinto, Nicaragua Sister City Project. [this mural is looking for a permanent, public home, contact us if you have suggestions]
- "We Speak" a 1992 portable mural (12 5 x 5 ft panels) painted by community artists. Sponsored by AFSC and ALANA to protest Desert Storm (1st Iraq War) and the continued Iraq sanctions as well as a protest of the 1992 U.S. Quincentenary celebration of Columbus and his "discovery" of America.
- Graffiti styled art of Jaymeer and photo of his mural featured in the Gus Van Sant film "Paranoid Park"
- mural cartoons drawn by Joe Cotter and Kolieha Bush, and new pantings by both.
- Mark Larsen's lyrical paintings done on window shades
- small recent works by Jennifer Mercede
- Ping Khaw watercolor
- Joel Heidel's painted sculpture & collaboration with Angelina Marino
- Katie Sullivan and Sheri Love's design for a student-painted mural at Reynolds HS
- Adriene Cruz shows a vividly colored fabric piece
- Larry Kangas demonstrates on a pellon (fabric) panel the unique technique he used for the 1600 sq ft Parkrose HS Community Center mural "Horses Through History & World Cultures"
- AND MUCH MORE!!
Artists in the SHOW include: Robin Corbo, Bill Floyd, Mark Meltzer, Joanne Oleksiak, Chris Haberman, Mark Larsen, Kenny Spurlock, Nick Olmsted, Sher Davidson, Emily Lux, Ping Khaw, Toma Villa, Angelina Marino, and many more!!
PAINT OFF artists include: Bill Floyd, Charlie A. Kraft, Hunter Armstrong, Ryan Shanks, Jennifer Gleach, Dan Ness, Derek Olsen, SD Elliott, Anna Todaro, Mario Robert, Justin White, John Wray, Extremo the Clown, Mike Smith (of MDC) and more!!!
THANK YOU TO OUR SHOW & PAINT OFF EVENT SPONSORS: KBOO Community Radio 90.7 FM, Mike & John Beardsley, Maletis Beverage Company, and Beam Development, Inc. Curated/coordinated by PDX City Art, Inc. (Chris Haberman Productions) and Portland Mural Defense.
contribute to this article
add comment to discussion