For Immediate Release
Monday, June 02, 2008
Nate / Earth Community Alliance
Citizens Hunger-Strike Against NW Natural's Liquefied Natural Gas Proposal
Citizens of Oregon have begun a ten (10) day hunger-strike on the main entrance of the NW Natural Energy Company headquarters building to bring awareness to the fact that the Palomar Gas Transmission System (PGT) is a serious and intolerable threat to the ecological and social integrity of Oregon.
NW Natural and Palomar are preparing to install a massive pipeline through over 500 miles of Oregon's public and private property. This will result in devastating impacts on streams, rivers and waterways, wildlife habitat areas, wilderness, and small family farms. NW Natural is carelessly destroying these precious ecosystems for private gains. All fuel piped through the PGT system will go to supply California with liquefied natural gas. There are no direct benefits for Oregonians who are affected. As we stand on the verge of global environmental crises, NW Natural is stepping in the wrong direction.
NW Natural's plans also stand in violation of Oregon State Law, including Coastal Management Plan and Oregon's Clean Waterways Act, and also violate the private property rights of Oregon citizens. Most importantly, NW Natural and PGT are serious threats to crucial food bearing resources, including family farms, salmon populations, and Oregon wilderness areas. This hunger-strike focuses on the threat NW Natural and PGT pose to elements that are crucial for the continuance of life. This hunger-strike will follow the duration of the Rose Festival in Downtown Portland.
Each day of the strike will focus on a specific abuse NW Natural is responsible for.
Other activities will focus energy alternatives, conservation, and solutions. Social events, dance parties, and meditations are also planned. A schedule of events and activities may be provided.
The strike may also be terminated if NW Natural formally and legally agrees to meet the following demands:
1) NW Natural officially declares a permanent moratorium on all PGT activities and all other activities associated with Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) in Oregon.
2) NW Natural publicly announces its intention to cease all PGT operations and production of Liquefied Natural Gas in Oregon.
3) NW Natural formally and legally agrees to furnish an energy plan consistent with the recommendations of the Oregon Department of Energy and the Governor's Climate Change Integration Group.
4) NW Natural publicly apologizes for misleading the public about the dangers posed by PGT and LNG. Specifically, NW Natural must admit to misleading the public about threats to citizen's safety and impacts LNG has on the global and regional environment.
5) NW Natural formally and legally agree to end all PGT activities at Bradwood's Landing Site permanently (Bradwood's Landing is critical salmon territory & salmon populations are already seriously threatened - PGT will absolutely destroy this crucial territory).
6) NW Natural formally apologizes to all Traditional Native Americans for their desecration of ancestral territories, especially traditional salmon fishing and huckleberry gathering territories.
7) NW Natural must renounce profits obtained from fossil fuel extraction, production, and distribution and agree to show genuine respect for all life on earth.
These terms may be discussed June 1-10 at NW Natural Headquarters, 220 NW First Ave.
"Because We Can't Eat Money"
For more information or interviews, please contact:
Nate / Earth Community Alliance