newswire article questions portland metro

government | political theory

How should I vote?

Just wondering if there are any clear choices for progressives in a few races.
I know it's not the most important thing in the world, but I want to vote for the most progressive candidates, and I'm not sure which way to go in a few races. Specifically, I'm wondering about the Secretary of State, Attorney General, and City Council #2 races. Are any of the candidates more progressive? Or totally evil? Some righties call Greg Macpherson a "far-left Legislator". Is that true? I'd like to vote for the "far-left", but don't want to get advice from some Republican bloggers. And what about Kate Brown or Vicki Walker? And for City Council, I know some folks who like Jim Middaugh, others who support Nick Fish, and some go for Ed Garren.

None of these candidates seem all that spectacular, and I don't want to spend hours and hours doing research. Anyone have any advice for someone who wants to vote for the most progressive candidate?

I have made some decisions,progressive voter. 06.May.2008 12:01

Feminista

I'm supporting Kate Brown because of her long-time commitment to women's and LGBT rights. I support Nick Fish because of his able legal assistance to my late spouse's police misconduct case.

My choices 06.May.2008 13:14

Anna

Here's who I'd pick:

Oregon Secretary of State: Kate Brown because of her experience

Oregon Attorney General: I don't know

US House: David Wu or Earl Blumenauer, depending on what district you live in

Vote Greg Macpherson for AG 06.May.2008 14:03

ben rivers

Greg Macpherson has been protecting Oregonians for the past three terms in the Oregon State House and he plans to continue to do the same as AG. Check out his website for more information: www.votemac.com

FYI, his opponent supports mandatory minimum sentences and the death penalty. Greg thinks both need to be revisited and revised in this state.

No Sam Because of the Damn Tram Scam! 06.May.2008 14:20

Portland Resident for 40 Years

Sam Adams would have gotten my vote except for the fact he supported the OHSU Tram at tax payers' expense. The Damn Tram Scam operates for a single purpose and that is to transport OHSU employees and patients from point A to point B at OHSU campuses. Sam Adams and others were very short sited on this issue and gave little to no thought on wasting tax money which could have been used in a way that would benefit the city and its citizens as a whole. It is time OHSU is seen for what they truly are, along with those who support the facility.
As a side note Dozono doesn't deserve my vote either because he has not committed to keeping the Joint Terrorist Task Force out of Portland and is willing to work with them IF he is allowed into their loop.
I am not throwing my support to any of the candidates vying for the office of mayor.

Clear choice for SOS 06.May.2008 15:01

EssJay

Feminista says, "I'm supporting Kate Brown because of her long-time commitment to women's and LGBT rights." Kind of a narrow-minded way to choose someone who's a heartbeat away from the Governor's mansion. Anna says, "Kate Brown because of her experience." The other two candidates are just as experienced. Kate simply has better name recognition because she's from Portland and held an overrated leadership position.

The clear choice is Vicki Walker! I encourage you to visit vickiwalker.com and educate yourself. Especially read the endorsement statements from The Register-Guard, Oregon Voter Rights Council, Willamette Week and The Oregon Independent Party. Then go to her Vicki in the News page for a ton of positive comment from news media across the state. Also check out her "Counting for Oregon" plan. In fact, read everything under the Information menu heading in the left column, then go to the other candidate's web sites and judge for yourself if they have the depth of understanding, the courage or the tenacity of Ms. Walker.

If you want progressive, Vicki Walker should have your vote.

Blumenauer? 06.May.2008 16:33

progressive voter

Don't vote for Blumenauer! He's a free trader, he voted for $ for the war, and there is an impeachment activist running against him. Unfortunately, this race is all but guaranteed to go to Blumenauer, but you can file a protest vote by going with Joe Walsh (Lone Vet).

some early thoughts 06.May.2008 17:03

pdx res

We've got a while until the primary and I'm still researching candidates.

I think it's important to remember that for certain races any candidate getting 50% of the vote wins the election. I'm not voting for Adams for mayor in the primary though I may consider voting for him in the election. I'd suggest people find a candidate other than Adams or Dozono for mayor, at least in the primary.

As for City Council I'm having a hard time because I want to consider not just who the best candidate for the individual races but also what the overall makeup of the council will be.

Since no one has mentioned it yet I think people should vote no on measure 53. I'm leaning toward a no vote on 51 and 52 as well though I'm still researching those two trying to fully understand their impacts. But measure 53 might as well be title "Please, won't someone think of the animals?!" Yes I support taking abused animals away from neglectful owners, regardless of whether they've been convicted of a crime. However, this is already allowed under current laws. I do not support police confiscating property and money from innocent people ("innocent until proven guilty" remember?) and being allowed to retain that money and property.

"liberal" vs "progressive"? 06.May.2008 17:27

the mostly anti-anna apparently

The person posting as Anna seems to have the "liberal" picks. Most self-identified "liberals" these days are more honest about being "centrists" or "moderates" as opposed to "leftists" or "progressives". So this should highlight the difference candidate choices when contrasted with a more "progressive" voter.

Here's who I'd pick:

> President: Barack Obama--He and Clinton are pretty similar, but he's more electable and inspirational

Bleh, write in someone good.

> U.S. Senator: Steve Novick. I don't know a lot about him but he has tons of endorsements.

I do know a bit about Novick and I believe he's the best candidate.

> Oregon Secretary of State: Kate Brown because of her experience

Vicki Walker.

> Oregon Attorney General: I don't know

John Kroger. However, I've heard strong arguments for Macpherson and I'm open to changing my mind before the primary.

> US House: David Wu or Earl Blumenauer, depending on what district you live in

Bleh, I'd rather see both of those politicians out of a job. Mark Welyczko or Joe Walsh.

> Oregon House: Cyreena Boston, because she has the experience and energy necessary to do the job. She also has good endorsements. I don't know anything about the candidates in the other districts.

Not my district so I'm not informed enough on that race to comment.

The 42nd district is one that I haven't decided on; there are a lot of interesting candidates in that race.

> Mayor: Sam Adams due to his experience and his proposal to increasing bicycle transportation funding to a level parallel to bicycle use. Right now something like 4% or people commute by bike, but only 1% of the city transportation funding goes toward bike transportation.

Not voting for Adams or Dozono in the primary. Unfortunately, Adams appears to be the anointed candidate (pun intended) which has left the field of challengers relatively weak. I'm thinking Patricia Stuart might be a good vote but so might a write-in.

one more thing 06.May.2008 17:54

pdx res

So far people haven't been making a distinction between the partisan political party races and the non-partisan races. I suspect that the majority of portland indymedia readers are not Democrats and therefore cannot vote in many of these races. However, I would urge those who are tired of partisan politics, regardless of your political affiliation or lack there-of, to support the Oregon Open Primary initiative. It would make all races function similarly to the Multnomah County elections: all races would be open to all voters with the top 2 candidates in the primary moving on to the general election. I don't think it's a perfect solution but much better than what we have today. So check it out if you're interested:

Jim 06.May.2008 19:21

brian

progressive voter,

I think Jim Middaugh is the best choice to continue Erik Sten's progressive legacy. He is the only voter owned candidate in the race, he is not backed by developers and banks, but by voters. He has great experience working for local and national environmental non profits and is a community leader in his schools and neighborhood association.

thanks

If you must, in Clackamas County 06.May.2008 20:42

It would be nice to write in Fouad Kaady to oppose the unopposed District Attorney, John Foote, just to let him know that one day, there could be a price to pay for disregarding human decency for political expediency.
Of course, we also know that Sheriff, Craig Roberts, should also be notified that it is not going to be a cakewalk for him forever, either. If you can bring yourself to do so, vote for La Manna, but if not, again, write in Fouad Kaady. Keep his memory alive, and the political hacks on the defense.

FOR PORTLAND CITY COUNCIL 06.May.2008 21:27

RabbleVox

For Seat# 1: Jeff Bissonette

For Seat #2: Jim Middaugh

Both these guys are smart, honest, experienced, and voter owned. They both have serious chops in both grass-roots activism AND running large organizations. Having one of these guys on the council would be good for Portland, having both of them would give us a progressive bloc for the first time in ages, and would be fucking AWSOME for the city.

The Mercury, the BTA, and most grassroots groups endorse both these guys, the Oregonian and the PBA endorsed neither. nuff said?

It's time to take Portland back people, these two could help us do it.

Oh, and for mayor? fuck it. I'm writing in Bud Clark

Re: AG 07.May.2008 08:21

Just saying

You should vote Kroger. Kroger's platform is about being more aggressive in protection the environment and improving drug treatment to keep people out of the criminal justice system. Macpherson has specially said he opposes more environmental enforcement and he wants drug treatment run through the prison system. Furthermore, Kroger said that while he supports the death penalty, he is is open to changing or abolishing it - Macpherson said that while he personally opposes the death penalty, he wants to keep it as it is in Oregon. Similarly, both candidates basically support mandatory minimums for measure 11. Kroger says he supports it outright, Macpherson said he would only change it if the District Attorneys said it was okay - which is a nice way of saying he does not want to change. Plus, as the Chair of the Judiciary Committee, Macpherson had the power to change them, and he did not, and as late as December he supported the mandatory minimums, and only changed his position after the DAs did not endorse him. This is an election between one of the guys who prosecuted Enron (Kroger) and a guy who made money off of his law firm representing Enron (Macpherson).

my choices 07.May.2008 09:27

RP

President: I was going to vote for Mike Gravel, but he dropped out and became a Libertarian.

> U.S. Senator: Steve Novick.
He clearly and openly supports GLBT rights (including marriage). Also, he wants to take Andrew Jackson off the $20. That sealed the deal for me.

> Oregon Secretary of State:

need to do more research

> Oregon Attorney General:

need to do more research

> US House: Will Hobbs (running against Wu in 1st congressional district)

> Mayor: probably Adams, though I'm still thinking about it