Cuban Students Denounce Manipulation
ROSA MIRIAM ELIZALDE AND PASCUAL SERRANO
Students whose images were exploited by different foreign media to present them as a sign of rebellion against the Cuban government spoke during a video interview denouncing the manipulations that occurred and denying that they were arrested on Tuesday.
After taping the two hour conversation of Ricardo Alarcon, president of the Cuban parliament, with students of the University of Computer Sciences (UCI) several news media began showing small fragments that they presented as illegal recordings that showed an uprising of students against the Cuban government. They didn't mention that such activities are always filmed by the students and placed unabridged on the university intranet.
On February 11, the foreign media began to report that student Eliecer Avila had been detained. The student explains in the new video that such a claim was false and the way it was perpetrated.
The false information began on Radio and TV Marti, the stations created and funded by the US government "to take the truth" to Cuba. However, once it was repeated by other media and news agencies the news item was taken off the Radio/TV Marti website. The news falsely reported that Avila "was arrested at 9:00 a.m. on February 9 by State Security Agents at his home in the El Yarey community of Vazquez," municipality of Puerto Padre in the Province of Las Tunas.
The false news item was repeated by Europa Press, the Diario las Americas of Miami and the rest of the Floridian press, the magazine Encuentro in Spain, the Libertad Digital website in Spain and the La Vanguardia newspaper in Catalunya.
Taken from: http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/english/news/art19.html
The UCI students conversation with Ricardo Alarcón in:
UCI students denounce manipulation from foreign media in:
link to www.cubadebate.cu
Other news from CUBA:
- The Republican Candidate, parts 1, 2 and 3:
- CIA continues to manage Miami terrorist groups:
- Code Pink resumes Miami campaign against Posada Carriles:
link to www.juventudrebelde.co.cu
- Cuban Five Case draws attention in Vermont:
- The case of the Cuban Five, one of the Top 25 Censored Stories of 2006-2007:
- Prepared Statement of Journalist Ann Louise Bardach:
- The Five Cuban Prisoners - Defending Against Terrorism (Philip Agee):
- Luis Posada Carriles and the Bombing of Cubana Flight CU-455 (Peter Kornbluh):
- Testimony for Hearing before Committee on Foreign Affairs' Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights and Oversight (Blake Fleetwood):
- U.S./Cuba: Justice Not So Blind in Politically Charged Cases:
- The case of the Cuban Five: Where we come from, where we go from here:
- FBI turned to perjury to protect Posada:
- Former Panamanian Officials on Trial for Release of Posada Carriles:
- The coddled "terrorists" of South Florida:
In Great Britain and Ireland: