newswire article commentary portland metro

political theory | sustainability

It's time to think closer about shared living and the right roommates

As you know by now, the dollar is crashing, and cost of food is expected to soar. The reasons for the very high food costs are greater than the manufactured problem with the cost of oil.
This is an urgent wake up call to use your dollar while you can to get some basic needs meet as we move into a full blown recession. If you have the means of purchasing a rainwater tank, I suggest you do so. Currently, I'm looking for new roommates, and this time around I'm seeking people who are fairly awake a little bit more this time. This is about group survival now and I feel a lot of people who think they are progress in this city are about to get a rude awakening slap in the face.

If you have the space to garden, starting sprouting soon for the season and get some extra soil. Good external soil will be harder to come by next summer. As far as food storage, make sure you see my upcoming tv show. We will be going into detail on putting your own storage supply together and how to integrate it into your daily diet to reduce soaring food costs. There are so many issues coming to a head in the next few years. Here in Portland we are currently drinking water from a backup well. Our main well has been contaminated from Hanford.

There are so many things to discuss. Please use to comment board below to constructively add to this article instead of ripping me to shreds for having a voice and deciding to use it.

Ok, at least remember my point as you prepare to scorn and stone me. I'm not saying the end of the world is here. I'm saying MAJOR SHORTAGES OF SHELTER, FOOD, AND WATER are on the way and if you know a little bit about history, you know what people do to each other when all of those issues come at a society at once. If you are interesting in getting a house together in the Portland area, let me know. If you are reading this and you are already living in a roommate situation, it would be advisable to keep company that understands what time it is, for the benefit of the GROUP. Together we will stand against the storm approaching. Dividing and living in our own little bubbles, caves, and huts will continue to destroy us.

Alex

homepage: homepage: http://alexansary.com

on the right track, but.... 27.Nov.2007 11:54

steve

yes you are right; there is a recession looming, and it could be a BIGGY!!!!

Many intelligent people are predicting a great depression of sorts in our near future.

The problem I have with the above post is that, instead of actively politically organizing to confront this issue, the idea seems to be: "lets just hunker down and try to survive".

The system that creates the boom and bust cycles, which not only randomly throws millions of people into the streets, but causes war as well, CAN be confronted.

If you understand that capitalism is the cause of these social diseases, than you should study ways to overcome this system of wage-slavery and war.

By socializing the great wealth of the world under democratic control, that is, socialism, we can all stop scrounging around like ants while billionaires play roulette with our future. But it takes work to make it happen!

some websites:

www.marxist.com
www.socialistappeal.org
www.wsws.org

Hmm.. Socialism? 27.Nov.2007 14:40

Hannah hannahpdxck@gmail.com

Well, as delightful an idea as Socialism is... it will never work. I'n not neccessarily saying that capitalism works, because for as far as I'm concerned, Capitalism might as well be the root of all evil. How about we build a bunch of small communities with as little government involvement as possible?
I really like your ideas, Alex. I agree completely that we are headed towards a large storm, and it may be passed due. Instead of jumping to a huge idea and change such as socialism, I think we should absolutely start on a community level. Because if we can't reclaim our own streets how are we going to reclaim a nation? Education is key in this. Exactly as you're doing. I know I will be talking to my neighbors about turning their lawns into gardens and hopefully get a couple of them to ride a bike every once in awhile. This is all very scary, but if we approach it as a community, a community proving it's independence from the government, I think we can make it through.

We make systems work. If we don't like a system, we can simply stop participating. But we have to begin educating person to person, neighborhood to neighborhood, community to community, etc. Start small and work up, ya know?

Its happening 27.Nov.2007 20:05

Thuja

Its happening people- the change is coming fast. Yes its time to really connect with your friends and neighbors and make plans. A lot of people will be thrown out of work soon. There will be intense inflation. Gas lines, scarcity, even hunger. So yes...we need to band together to deal with the coming storm. Make friends with your neighbors. Look in on them. Connect to your neighborhood association. Grow some of your own food. Rainwater catchment, grey water- if you can afford it- solar hot water and panels. Learn some basic skills in carpentry, plumbing, bike mechanics, beer making, farming, fishing, hunting, furniture making, animal husbandry, etc. Shop local- local businesses, local farms. Go to farmers markets as much as possible. Bike as much as possible. But above all don't close up shop, horde what you have and shut out your community. This is a time to band together and to count on each other. You may be the one hurting without a job and the means to pay the bills. This is going to be very very hard but we need to work with each other to get through...

horns of dilemma 27.Nov.2007 20:15

gudermannian of x

Alex has hinted at the horns of a dilemma that conscious people have always faced, and is maybe becoming even more acute: Does one mainly look out for oneself in the midst of mass social upheaval, or does one try to organize collectively? Is there a way to do both at once or must pick once and for all?

I can sympathize with people who say that, "Hey! Wake up! There's no time right now to dream about utopian fantasies. It's time to save our own skins. Live ecologically and justly, but above all, simply live to survive the coming apocalypse." On the other hand, I can also sympathize with people who point out that the entire capitalist system has always thrived on fear and on cultivating competition, "every man and woman for him or herself," a kind of constant siege mentality, which is exactly what has brought us to the present crises in the first place.

If people continue to cultivate this individualist siege mentality, but now and then with an "ecological" flavor, will there really be any future worth looking forward to? On the other hand, if we don't cultivate practical survival skills, will there be any future at all?

stalinism versus socialism 28.Nov.2007 13:51

Steve

It saddens me to see so many comments about the USSR or other Stalinist countries being labeled as 'socialist'.

Yes Russia had socialist origins, but Stalin's great purge was aimed at killing actual socialists; and he killed alot.

So we can either make the conclusion that the ruling class wants us to make (that human nature prevents us from
organizing collectively), or we can decide what our interests are as individuals, and allow them to divide and conquer us as they have been doing for quite some time.

it boils down to: individual versus collection action? Picking individual action basically assumes that we cannot win and never will.

collective living 28.Nov.2007 15:16

karl roenfanz ( rosey ) k_rosey48@hotmail.com

i agree with the article, we do need to start living in a collective fashion. but it won't do for us living on the v.a. NON-service connected pensions, any tracible income to our households counts against us dollar for dollar. no family, no friends, aint that fun?

Portland needs to prepare! 28.Nov.2007 16:59

Ned (Bear)Tillerman

Yes! Thank you for bringing some light to this subject matter! I have been teaching classes on preparing, cooking and storing roadkill for over 10 years now. I have dedicated my time and energy to this life saving practice to better prepare the people of Portland for what I call "The Days of Chaos". I also have pre-packed a pocket flute, road flares, 1000 cans of beans, 2 gallons of water, 2 shirts, 1 pair of manties and sweaters for all of my dogs in a waterproof bright red container. These items will help me and maybe one other person survive for up to 2 years. I have also found that watching shows like LOST and Survivor (all seasons) has helped me to regularly learn new survival skills. I also watch zombie films because they are the best representation of what things will be like when it gets real bad. The Days of Chaos are knocking and it is time for everyone to prepare. I also do 3-4 push ups a day and close to 20 sit ups to help build muscles. A book is also a good thing to have if you are stuck somewhere for a long time.

Portland needs to prepare! 28.Nov.2007 17:31

Ned (Bear)Tillerman

you mean if your man was named "BEAR" 28.Nov.2007 21:26

BEAR

does alex know how to skin a rat and preserve it?

Inedible Ideologies 02.Dec.2007 09:00

adili

People can't eat ideologies. Humans need a gallon of clean water a day, a minimum of 1000 real calories (not the kind you get from candy, for instance), and shelter. Developing a personal/collective plan to shelter in place for two weeks is important. Clearly, most folks can't afford to lay in a supply of food for...say...a year or two. In light of this, learning about gardening now is smart. Can't garden without seeds though, so for those pursuing gardening as a survival option should consider purchasing seeds for crops suited to our short NW growing season & storage potential. Season-extending gardening supplies (clear plastic sheeting for impromptu greenhouse shelters for seedlings/late season stragglers) are a sensible investment, too. Those with means and method to hunt/fish might consider the potential for trading the flesh of salmon, deer &c to hungry city dwellers for the sorts of useful but inedible items found in cities.

It's bigger than this. It's more in-depth than this. Turning an eye to long-term usefulness and survival doesn't make you a nut: it reveals your intelligence and humanity.