newswire article reporting portland metro

neighborhood news | police / legal

Shooting on Trimet/NE Portland

There was an apparent shooting on the #6 to Vancouver this evening.
Feb 13, 2007, NE Portland

Lately, there's been a lot of crazy stuff going on up here in NE Portland. Almost every night, I see tons of cop cars and flashing blue lights, and one night nearly ended up in the middle of a street brawl.

While riding the southbound number 6 bus to Portland this evening, I went past an eerie sight. The Vancouver bound bus was laying idle across the road a bit north of Freemont, with darkened windows on the side of the road. It was still surrounded by police line tape, the flashing blue lights of cop cars, and several Trimet vehicles. According to the driver, there was a fight and a shooting on the bus sometime this evening between 6 and 7pm. By 7:30 there were only a few people still on the scene, but apparently no one was injured.

As a person who rides the bus several times a day, I wish I could say that I'm surprised this has happened, but I can't. I've seen a lot of unsafe/illegal/threatening things going on while riding the bus, and frankly people are afraid to speak up when they see this stuff happening. I'm getting real sick of thugs on the bus, and I know I can't be the only one. Trimet should really consider beefing up their security before people decide that riding the bus is too risky.

theresa mitchell 14.Feb.2007 11:04

beef security

Hoo boy. The Number Six route can be wacky. I've been threatened and insulted many times driving that route. Thank goddess I'm not on it now.

There are social/techno/economic dynamics that come together on that route. Judging from my observations, cell-phones are being used to arrange meetings and confrontations--that would be confrontations with rivals, with the faggot-in-a-dress driver, et cetera. People are angry with each other and with me, over issues related to economic and physical displacement (gentrification), race fears, homophobia, and competition for black market goods.

Tri-Met security? You want their Wackenfuck union busters on the bus? I'd rather depend on my luck and my sprint. There are cameras all over those buses, and radio emergency dispatch from a secret squirrel button, and that hasn't been enough to stop it.

We could stop it collectively but no one has the political will: stop the Jim Crow drug war,pay war reparations, legalize and regulate drug supply, acknowledge and remediate gentrification--or in other words, treat people equally.

Yeah right.

the instincts of herd animals 15.Feb.2007 17:25

maybe the wolf will eat the other guy

> Tri-Met security? You want their Wackenfuck union busters on the bus? I'd rather depend on my luck
> and my sprint. There are cameras all over those buses, and radio emergency dispatch from a secret
> squirrel button, and that hasn't been enough to stop it.

Given the facts just described, most people would probably want more security on buses where people get shot, yes, and not give too much of a shit about some beef between the drivers' union and the security guard company. Knowing that the driver will be the first one out the door when some thug pulls a gun is not going to make anybody feel better.

> We could stop it collectively but no one has the political will: stop the Jim Crow drug war,pay war
> reparations, legalize and regulate drug supply, acknowledge and remediate gentrification--or in other
> words, treat people equally.

Should every bus rider pack heat, so we can "stop it collectively"? Will drivers set the example?

oh well 16.Feb.2007 01:55

deak

you decided to move there... now you expect everyone to accomidate you? sorry. man up, you're living in one of the safest cities in the country.

Way to be the newbie 16.Feb.2007 05:19

Jesca

Hey. Research before you move here. North and Northeast Portland were full of violence and have merely been laying dormant recently. Its the flipside to gentrification. You may get your cute little house to fix up but the old neighborhood doesn't care. Next time call me. I'll tell you about the ATF busting my neighbor when I was 11 or maybe the time the police shot 27 times at a man on a bus.

I'm puzzled. 16.Feb.2007 12:18

echo

I ride the 6 pretty frequently from Killingsworth down to Belmont and i've never seen any violence of any kind, in literally scores and scores of bus rides. There's the occasional annoying person, but nothing close to violent or threatening. Is this supposed violence happening further north? Really though, i have to agree with 'Oh Well' about this being a safe city in general. To be honest, i've actually been involved in violence more in the suburbs than i ever have been in the city. I'm not speaking of Portland but of the Detroit Metro area in Michigan. I'm certain that Portland is safer than Detroit, but the suburbs of Portland may be the source of a lot of violent people...just a thought.

violence on the 6 16.Feb.2007 15:57

unusual but not outside the envelope

I ride the 6 pretty often, all the way from Lombard downtown & back, and though I've never personally felt unsafe on the 6, I've seen hostile interactions between other people. And once I was waiting for the 6 as it parked way down the street for maybe half an hour, for no apparent reason, but of course the whole time I though if I walked away from my own stop to see what was up it would pick that moment to start moving again & I'd miss it, and ultimately when it started up again & I got on the driver said somebody on the bus threatened somebody else with a gun & he had to call the cops. It was a while ago & I don't remember any other details.

Itsa tough crowd 16.Feb.2007 17:23

Bus drivin Bob

Well it is always intersting to hear how it feels behind the yellow line.If you want change stop talking about what you want to do and do something.Most of us would love it if you thru some douche bag out the rear door.I have been at this a long time....Its not getting better.Trimet get serious about security!HA f ing HA! ONLY AT THE CENTER STREET GARAGE!The ridership must demand better security.Demand that operators as well as passengers meet the criteria for riding the bus.That includes and starts with the fare paying.How about we make it a good experiece for all who ride. Driver Bob

Comment to driver 16.Feb.2007 17:37

Ricky

Bus drivin Bob,You Rock! I want to ride your bus.Are drivers not demanding better security? When you said that drivers and passengers meet the criteria I think you meant we all, drivers and passengers need to demand better security.A lot of shit goes down in the back of the bus.Drivers can't see it but we do.We want it to stop. Ricky

Bus drivin Bob 16.Feb.2007 18:21

Bob

Thankyou. That is what I meant.We ask for but do not get more security.What we all really want is more support out on the streets to make decisions that require action towards the trouble makers.Be Nice to your operator! you really don't know the stress level that we are under.Bob

I was on that bus 02.Mar.2007 10:06

gnubler

I ride Line 6 all the time, morning and evening rush hours mostly. It's always packed, standing room only, with all different kinds of people.

That evening, the bus stopped at Fremont to let on a large group of young black dudes - like 8 or 10 of them. At the next stop a couple blocks north, there was another large group of young black dudes (and a couple girls too) and the guys on the bus started shouting at them out the window and the group outside was shouting back. The bus driver hesitated and shut the front door, but then everyone shut up and she reopened the door and let the next group in. That was foolish.

Within seconds the shouting started again and suddenly there were about 20 black dudes exchanging angry sounding words. It became very tense and the driver stopped the bus and opened the doors. I sat there for about a minute before realizing the driver had abandoned the bus. I was sitting right near the rear door and I heard some guy outside saying "I ain't got the bullets...who got the gun with the bullets."

I have no idea what these 20 people were fighting about, but everyone else around me looked dopey and just sat there, like they were too lazy to get up. I wasn't in the mood to get shot in the back of the head, so I took off and walked the rest of the way home.

All of you who are whining about Trimet providing security on the bus need a good punch in the face. Pussies. People having altercations just happens sometimes. If you're so special, why don't you hire an armed bodyguard to protect you wherever you go - standing in line at the post office, at the park, and walking along the sidewalk...those are all also places you could get shot. Stop creating fear and insecurity where there isn't any. I strongly urge you to go for a bus ride in Bagdhad or ride the subway in NYC - then report back to us.

shooting on bus rt #6 07.Aug.2007 11:49

got out yrs ago!!!!!!

you are going to have this shit every where you go !! I will tell you how to stop it!! when some fuck nut says there in a gang take your gun out and shoot the mother fucker !! you see until you change the thought that being in a gang is cool or what not these stupid mother fuckers are going to grow!! It go"s back to there upbring dumb ass grows dumb ass !! Put them all in the that worthless rose garden and let them shoot each other the walks out is the winner and then shoot that one!!