newswire article commentary global

actions & protests | imperialism & war

Christianity is Stupid

A little rant, covering the frosting on the tip of the iceberg, of the complete utter nonsensical stupidity of christianity. Other western religions are also just as vile.

Writing is not my skill, but I hope to encourage others to write more, and start calling religion for what it is. The future of our world depends on it.
I am amazed at how completely utterly stupid christians are. Oh, and their other western religion cohorts (e.g. jews and muslims) are no better, but I will focus on christians here because they are of the dominant religious group in our country.

Christians are so stupid that they believe humans coexisted with dinasours just a few thousand years ago, and god put all that fossil stuff in the earth just to fool with our heads. What happened to the dinasours? Was there not enough room on the ark?

Speaking of Noah's Ark, have you christians bothered to try to comprehend the immense diversity of life forms on this planet? (Just one small corner of the world, the Darien's Gap rainforest, has far more diversity than humans have been able to grasp so far). Oh, and what about creatures that live only in freshwater? The Ark would need a large series of aquariums (several, to keep some creatures from eating others, and to accomodate different water temperatures (oh, and speaking of which, Noah would need to devise some climate control systems)). Oh, and what about plants? How did all the plant life survive the flood? ...from all the climate zones throughout the planet? How did Noah travel throughout the world to collect samples from every climate zone?

Ask a minister: "Is God Perfect?"; the answer, of course, will be something like "Yes, Duh!" Then ask: "Has anyone ever committed a sin?"; again the answer, again, will be "Yes, Duh!"

If god is perfect, then its impossible for anything to happen, anywhere in the universe, no matter how trivial, that is outside the bounds of EXACTLY what god intended. For if anything were to ever happen outside the bounds of exactly what god intended, then that would be an example of imperfection in god. A sin is, by definition, an act that is outside the bounds of what god intended. So perfection in god, and sins, are logically contradictory. This is very basic logic that even a fairly stupid person ought to be able to get pretty easily. But for christians, it is wwwwaaaayyyy over their heads.

I asked a christian about this once, and what was their response? That god intended for sins to happen! At that point I realized further discussion with him was pointless, but I was thinking, "Ok then, if god intended for sins to happen, then WHY THE FUSS! When people commit sins they are doing what god intended so why not bless their sinful actions!? Why do churches keep wailing on about how you are not suppose to be doing these things that god intended for people to be doing?!"

Oh, and still on the subject of sins. Isn't it gods fault? When humans commit sins, they are simply doing that which god's creations do. God has been creating humans for awhile now, and they have been sinning all along, so you would thing that god would know better by now and either revise the design to correct for this sinful behavior or just stop creating humans if he cannot get the result to his satisfaction.

If I were to, say, working on organizing and outdoor concert, and I wanted to make an outdoor heating source. I decided to get a really big tank of liquid hydrogen and another really big tank of liquid oxygen, and have them sitting right under the bleachers, and pipe them to pour out onto a barbeque. It would almost certainly explode and all the people in the bleachers would die. Then I did the same thing again, and again, and again.... Would I be able to pass the blame on my contraption? "Bad tanks! Very bad bad bad tanks!" NO! It would be MY FAULT. Likewise, if god keeps creating people that keep sinning the same old ways, well, its HIS fault!

NOTE TO HOMELAND SECURITY SPIES: No, I am not threatening to create some sort of bomb to be planted under some bleachers! That was a hypothetical example to illustrate my point. I have never worked in such a capacity and am not planning on it. I never want to do anything in my life to deliberatly harm another person. Get back to your maple bar and leave me alone.

There are other ways that christians divert blame from god. For example, (as explained to me by a guy from the seventh day adventist church), god didn't create the devil, so he can completely wash his hands of that deed. God created Lucifer, who was purportedly a good little angel. But then Lucifer decided "fuck this shit" and became the "devil". So it was Lucifer's fault --and not god's fault-- we have a devil. Just like with human sins, this is an example of god creating something, and then god blaming his creation for doing that which he created it as able to do.

Oh, and speak of the devil, and god, and their respective lairs, hell and heaven. We are suppose to want to go to "heaven" the lair of god. But god is extremely picky about who he lets in. You can't go to heaven if you don't kiss god's butt very nicely at least once a week. You cannot have any fun, for all fun things are sinful. Being in heaven must be a lot like walking on eggshells: a fearful existence where one minor slipup and you are drop-kicked out of there, off to burn in hell. Heaven must also be a lonely place, for only 144,000 people get to go there in the first place, but -sooner or later- you will accidently commit a sin and be kicked out. Only the most die-hard god-butt-kissers would remain.

Hell, on the other hand, is the land of fun and partyin! Satan loves you unconditionally. You can have fun and he still loves and accepts you. Feeling a bit horney? Well, in hell.... All the fun happens in hell.

Why is god a "he"? Why does he have a dick? Are there a bunch of really hot goddesses out there and he wants them all for himself? He doesn't want any lowly humans getting any action with those hot goddesses? That might explain his ultra sensitivity to people worshipping other gods and goddesses.

Doesn't god seem a bit sensitive, insecure, paranoid, and downright evil? Read some of that biblical bullshit (or just listen to a minister) and truly ask yourself this question. God seems in desparate need of intense mental health treatment.

In fact, god sounds so evil and brutal he makes Adolf Hitler sounds like a saint. For Adolf only wanted to torture and kill off a portion of the world-wide human population. God, on the other hand, with this whole Noah's Ark and flood ordeal, wiped out almost the entire human race because he disliked them. There were some other "incidents" as explained in the bible. God is the ultimate king of war crimes and genocide.

And his followers blindly follow his path of war crimes and genocide. They came to america, and obliterated the native peoples on the excuse that their christian god was vastly superior to that silly nature stuff the natives were into. They continue to perpetuate war and brutality at the direction of their leaders. Their leaders say "support our troops" means "attack iraq" and "support our troops" is a good thing, so their christian sheeple mindlessly "support our troops".

Christians are so incredibly stupid they cannot see their own extreme hypocricy.

Christians like to say they follow the teachings of jesus and the bible. Look in the bible and what does jesus teach?

- to love one another
- to not judge one another
- to not hoard wealth, but share it with others
- etc., nice things like that

Also, jesus himself never seems to speak of homosexuality. He talks about a shitload of other stuff, but, somehow, homosexuality never seems to come up.

Now what do christians do?

- they preach hate
- they preach judgement
- they hoard wealth and deny opportunities to the poor
- they get their panties in a bind over homosexuality

(btw, all you homophobes: I am a straight man myself. You don't have to be gay to not want to treat gays as garbage.)

It seems christians are among the most anti-bible and anti-jesus people out there. Those that are nonreligious (or not aligned to a western religion) generally live life far more aligned with the teachings of jesus than the jesus people do!

Oh and speaking of the bible, there are an awful lot of things out there that are sins that christians seem to completely ignore. They pick and choose from their bible what best fits their mentality. When they play football, they should hope those balls are not made of real pig skins, and that they are not playing on a saturday!

Christians defer all thought to their leaders. They like to preach that to be "saved" you must "know jesus". Ask them what about "good" people in primitive third world communities that have never heard of jesus? They say something like "well, they are not saved but you just have to trust that god knows best".

And why does god intentionally hurt people anyway? Come one christians, you know there are numerous cases where god hurts people, he even has some angels he created just for that purpose. When rapture comes up, all the "saved" people are taken away, and those left behind are subjected to a "gnawing and gnashing of the teeth" (i.e. torture). Why? It has already been decided that these people are not "saved", so they will live an eternity in hell, so reform is pointless. What is the purpose of punishing them? God can just turn around and walk away, and never have to deal with these rejected people again, but he chooses to deal with them some more and have some of his angels really stick it to them before walking away from them.

(I took a bible study class recently, in hopes of understanding christians better. These teachings came up, I asked these questions, was refered to the minister, and the minister of the church could not provide an answer better than "well, that's just the way it is".)

My rant has only skimmed the frosting on the tip of the iceberg. We could go on and on and on about the stupidity of christianity (and other western religions). But I will stop here.

I am not a religious expert. I grew up in a catholic household and went to their school because my parents forced me to. In later years I tried reading the bible to figure out why people eat this stuff up and was left more baffled then before. Quite honestly major chunks of it I just skimmed over as it seemed to be endless blabber of the going-ons with an occational wailing from god about something interspersed.

Why did I rant?

I am tired. I am tired of what western religion is doing to our world. I am tired of the utter complete stupidity that it fosters in the human spirit. I am tired of the control western religion has on our society and how it suffocates the human condition. Western religion is full of complete utter stupidity. I know many others can explain this far better than myself.

I feel that we need to stop letting western religion get away with grilling this stupidity into the human race without calling them on it. If we do not, humanity will not survive.

I was harsh, by refering to christians as "stupid" many times. It was not meant to degrade anyone. My intention is to simply get through to people. To wake up. This really IS completely stupid! Look at it!

I hope I encouraged others to write about this subject, and we can move to call western religion for what it really is. People need to read what you have to write about this.
I AGREE...BUT 28.Jan.2007 14:29

the realist (Ben Douglass) bendouglass@cheerful.com

We need to lump all the "Eastern religions and New Age crap" in the same mixing bowl with Christianity.

As soon as humans grow up and cast off all the various godisms going around then maybe we can actually start realizing a Transhumanist future right here and now.

any religion that puts humans at the center is flawed 28.Jan.2007 16:18

Arany Boci

Any religion or ideology or philosophy (including atheism, Marxism, Aryn Rand-ism, Social Darwinism, capitalism, human centred feminism) or anything else that conflicts with a prefix of either green or eco or bio in front of it .. is absolute BULLSHIT! And though I am a worshipper of the Great Mother she is never limited to human form or a single form... look around you and Gaia is everything... Mother Nature is not limited to a human form nor even a gender nor a singularity. We say mother only because "she" is the all consuming source that all must collapse back into and spill forth again.

If Jesus (Yoshua ben Pentara) was alive today he would be Buddhist suffering from the hands of the Chinese or a traumatized Iraqi child dealing with the results of American false flag operations.

i don't know.... 28.Jan.2007 17:39

This just seems kind of like hyperbolic hate speech to me. Please don't ask me to just write off all of the people who adhere to a particular religious faith, including Christianity. That's just rebelliouos-teen-angst crap if you ask me. I know some kick ass Christians, and I know some homophobic, speciesist shithead Christians. It's not the religion, it's human nature. Some people suck, some people don't. That's just how it is.

Regarding this:

"Now what do christians do?

- they preach hate
- they preach judgement
- they hoard wealth and deny opportunities to the poor
- they get their panties in a bind over homosexuality"

That's just a load of useless, sterotyping garbage. I mean, I feel your pain if you are poor or gay and feeling oppressed. But it's not just Christians, and it's certainly not all Christians. It's assholes. This "they they they" language is armchair theorizing. Go out in the real world and meet some real Christians. Go talk to Pastor Valerie. Shit, man, you want to talk "opportunities to the poor"? No one rocks like some of the Catholic workers in this city. No one. And that includes Pastor Valerie.

Also, the use of the phrase "get their panties in a bind" is disgustingly sexist. Please find other words to play with. And while you're at it, see that maybe the problems we have are within ourselves and our species, maybe they're not within someone else's religious faith.

Pot, meet Kettle 28.Jan.2007 17:57

Atheist

"If god is perfect, then its impossible for anything to happen, anywhere in the universe, no matter how trivial, that is outside the bounds of EXACTLY what god intended. For if anything were to ever happen outside the bounds of exactly what god intended, then that would be an example of imperfection in god. A sin is, by definition, an act that is outside the bounds of what god intended. So perfection in god, and sins, are logically contradictory. This is very basic logic that even a fairly stupid person ought to be able to get pretty easily."

Before you go disparaging others with your wit, you might want to take a course in basic logic.

Your attempt at an ontological argument for the non-existence of a supreme being is dubious in its construction and pathetic in its application.

Suppose this "god" of which you speak wished to endow its creations with "free will." Surely this falls within the prerogative of a supreme being. There is, of course, a chance that any of these free-willed creations will then take some action contrary to the will of their creator.

Good metaphysics is pointless mental masturbation.

Bad metaphysics is self-flagellation.

pots and kettles 28.Jan.2007 18:49

and rebellious teenage pantywads

> That's just rebelliouos-teen-angst crap if you ask me

If you don't like "panties in a wad" you might want to keep your ageism where it won't bother anybody either.

christianity dominates for other reasons 28.Jan.2007 18:56

besides making sense (which it doesn't)

Christianity would be an obscure Semitic sect that never made it to the New World if it hadn't been adopted as the official religion of the Roman Empire in the fourth century or so. The people defending it here are defending their own childhoods, or the positive associations they have with particular ministers, rather than the actual premises of the religion, which is basically a story about human sacrifice. America is Christian because it is. It's inertia, not faith. The youngster who posted this article is right (and his logic is better than "Atheist's") and just because the argument is ancient and tired to everybody else doesn't mean he's wrong.

What God wants, God gets 29.Jan.2007 06:24

Roger Waters

What God wants God gets God help us all
What God wants God gets
The kid in the corner looked at the priest
And fingered his pale blue Japanese guitar
The priest said
God wants goodness
God wants light
God wants mayhem
God wants a clean fight
What God wants God gets
Don't look so surprised
It's only dogma
The alien prophet cried
The beetle and the springbok
Took the bible from its hook
The monkey in the corner
Wrote the lesson in his book
What God wants God gets God help us all
God wants semtex
What God wants God gets
Don't look so surprised
I'm only joking
The alien comic cried
The jackass and hyena
Took the feather from its book
The monkey in the corner
Wrote the joke down his book
What God wants God gets
God wants jihad
God wants good
God wants bad
What God wants God gets

People can be idiots, not just Christians 29.Jan.2007 06:53

2C

"The people defending it here are defending their own childhoods, or the positive associations they have with particular ministers, rather than the actual premises of the religion, which is basically a story about human sacrifice."

No, I think what is happening here is that a lot of us went through this reactionary, "hey! Christians suck!" phase too. It seemed really empowering to realize we could be "against" something that we always thought we were supposed to be "for." So yeh, I think we understand where the original poster is coming from. But for those of us who have grown out of this phase by actually engaging in the real world and learning something about what we were pontificating about, instead of just talking talking talking out a lot of raving stereotypes, it just reminds us how silly that phase was.

Personally, I am not an athiest, so I find both good and not so good in all religions. I see them all as "beads on a string," as someone once said, or as different maps to the same place, based on different starting points. And, I see them all as being often corrupted, in places, by the same human lunacy that makes us fuck up so many other things in the world. Greed, grasping for power over others, ignorance, racism, speciesism, sexism, homophobia...these things wind up in all religions here and there, to one degree or another, because they are inside us. But there are also beautiful things in almost every religion, including Christianity. I was very surprised to learn this, because I did not grow up Christian, and I did go through a bad case of "Christians suck!" syndrome. I thought I knew all about Christianity, and I did not like what I knew, because it was full of stereotypical assholes. The Jerry Falwells, the Jim Bakers, the Jimmy Swagarts, the Pat Robertsons. That's what I thought it was: A bunch of selfish, idiotic, white guys out for a quick buck off the ignorance of others. (And maybe some really phony looking women with big, huge hair and giant, smearing eyelashes.) And that's certainly what that crowd was all about. But out in the real world, it's a lot different.

There are a lot of cool people out there who are Christians, and I do not like how people erupt into hate speech like this about them without ever even bothering to meet them. It's a prejudice, same as any other. And there are a lot of very empowering things in the Bible, hidden among years of redux by self-interested graspers...same as any other religion. Don't think so? Think the stereotypical "Eastern Philosophy" is any better? That's just because it's farther away. But ask a woman or a "lower caste" person in India what they think. I love Hinduism, but I cannot deny that there are things about it that remind me of the things that really do bother me about Christianity too. Or check out some of the selfish excess in some of the Buddhist temples. Again, Buddhism is beautiful, but human beings do corrupt. These are not failings of the religions, they are failings of the human spirit. And they do, in fact, creep in to any religion over time. We can work on ourselves from within, and be able to sift those things out. And then we can recognize the beauty of other peoples' religions -- either as a spiritual pathway, if we're spiritual, or as beautiful literature if we are not.

2 cents 29.Jan.2007 09:16

someone

If you read the words of christ and you understand them you
realize that he was saying that the spark of the divine is within
everyone. All humans are holy incarnations of Himself, including
you. There was a time when you knew this.
Therefore, as you have done to another you have done
to yourself.
Man by nature has an internal battle with himself. This
is not because of flaws so much as because it is necessary
part of evolution. Man is not the final product. The final
product is man perfected, which does not occur within the
flesh but at some later point of evolution. There was
a time when you knew this too.
"There shall be wars, and rumours of wars but see thou art not deceived"
"He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword"
"many are called, but few are chosen"
"And on that day many shall say 'Lord Lord did we not do as thou commanded?'
and I shall say to them 'begone from me you doers of evil deeds, I never knew thee"

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what kind of 'christian' it is
that calls for the assasination of a foriegn leader, or to wage war.

"and in those days many shall be mislead"

The one and only valid guide 29.Jan.2007 10:30

love

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Or... don't do unto others what you would not have them do unto you
This is the ONLY guide one needs and just watch children learn this early in life. And just watch the cowards, the sadists and the psychos piss their pants when they face the same treatment they put others through. For they know...

original post horribly inarticulate 29.Jan.2007 12:36

much better resources here

no, they all start from "believe whatever you want" (where you are) 29.Jan.2007 19:14

and reject that, drawing maps to different places instead

> I find both good and not so good in all religions. I see them all as "beads on a string," as
> someone once said, or as different maps to the same place, based on different starting points.

Unfortunately, they don't see themselves that way. In the real world, as opposed to as in stories in the pages of New Age magazines, actual religions oppose each others' doctrines as heresy and demon worship.

A person who can't read a map is not the same as a map that can't be read 30.Jan.2007 10:10

"In the real world, as opposed to as in stories in the pages of New Age magazines, actual religions oppose each others' doctrines as heresy and demon worship."

Maybe in your world. But there is a lot of progress out here in...dare I say it?... "the real world" regarding syncretism. In point of fact, many religions have always been pretty syncretic. And, many have not. (Some are still not.) But I have attended classes, conferences, and many other places where people are open to learn from each other.

Either way, though, your criticism really just illustrates the point that it's not the religions, it's the humans. Because the religions themselves ARE maps from different places. It's the humans who sometimes can't see that.

most of the map readers read the plain language of the maps 30.Jan.2007 15:57

and see them going a bunch of different places

> In point of fact, many religions have always been pretty syncretic. And, many have not. (Some are still not.)

"Still not," for instance, most denominations of Christianity and Islam ... which must be at least half of the world's population. Syncretism is a relatively insignificant movement on the margins of the religious world. That's what's "real" here. If syncretism is what somebody wants, it is easy to surround oneself with syncretists, just like it's easy to surround oneself with Mormons or Unitarians. That doesn't make Mormons or Unitarians, or syncretists, significant elements in American or global Christianity, in terms of doctrine or culture, which is what this article is about.

Selective Disdain 30.Jan.2007 20:37

2sides

Would you be willing to make the same rant against Islam? I really couldn't blame you if you didn't. Christians are a much easier target, they aren't very likely to hunt down your family and slice their heads off to apease the dishonour you heaped upon the "Prohphet" and Allah. I mean they don't have anything bad to say about homosexuals, mainly because once they are discovered they usually don't live long enough to be worthy of conversation. That goes for the women who have the nerve to show their face or want to (gasp) drive. I'm sure you really believe that Muhammad really got on a winged horse and flew to have a chat with Allah or that people turned into rocks so we could keep them in a glass case in Mecca. Actually the whole spending eternity in paradise with 72 houses of 72 virgins doesn't sound all that bad of a trade-off for blowing up a few measley innocent people. Reflief from all that annoying chiding from their pastors to live a better life and help people instead of blowing them up and dying a more glorious death would really be a welcome relief to all those "stupid" Christians.

you got it 30.Jan.2007 22:09

down with all the talibans, closest one first

There, a post from an actual Christian summarizing the actual Christian position on other religions.

In fact, the reason you won't see any rants against Islam as newswire articles here is that such posts are not really an attempt to encourage skepticism among Muslims but rather are part of a campaign to shore up support for the invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq and to build support for an invasion and occupation of Iran -- invasions and occupations not to change those countries' crazy religions (good luck) but to steal their oil (although the powers that be usually prefer the term "privatize" to "steal").