newswire article announcements portland metro

community building | neighborhood news

KRS-ONE playing tonight Sat January 27th on North Mississippi Avenue

KRS-ONE playing in the hood !
Tonight Saturday January 27th at 3810 N.Mississippi Avenue in the Boise neighborhood....

KRS-ONE,Sirens Echo,Guerilla Theater and more
At the big warehouse building opposite Mississippi Commons 27.Jan.2007 08:20

OG

Next door to AYOS-Albina Youth Opportunity School

Come pay your respects 27.Jan.2007 08:40

Much luv

Wow, Hip Hop in North Portland..

come whitey come 27.Jan.2007 09:07

boy in the hood

It is disrespectful to call our neighborhood a "hood".It is not a "hood" and it has never been a "hood". Only a naive yuppie obediently sucking on the tit of corporate america helplessly watching too much television would call this neighborhood a "hood". Knowing what little i do about KRS1 I would imagine that if he knew about the racism and classism that has played such a huge role in the shaping of this community over the last 20 years or knew that Mississippi street represents such a huge slap in the face to the diverse ethnic cultures that have called this neighborhood home for the last 100 years, he'd probably throw a molotov cocktail through every shop window. But then again I don't know much about the man.

I want to back up "boy in the hood." 27.Jan.2007 09:34

>>>

That neighborhood has gentrified. To appropriate the language of the folks driven out, is part of just denying what happened. It may be part of the white vernacular of hipsters in Portland, to call North and Northeast Portland "the hood." But this reflects something we should not be proud of. White hipsters, punks, anarchists.. you all are flooding the neighborhood. You play a critical role in the gentrification. The "hood" is gone. Don't feel too comfortable throwing around this language. It does not read well, and it is a tell tale sign that folks feel a little too comfortable, and are going unchallenged.

I expect "boy in the hood" is going to get some angry reactions, as usually happens on indymedia when this subject comes up. People really peep their cards fast on this subject. The debate about race in Portland is in bad shape, and challenges like this get shut down fast. I just want to say to "boy in the hood" I hear you, and thanks for your comment.

dont wanna hear it 27.Jan.2007 11:40

Usage Pewsage

quit your bellyaching
i am busy here trying to read

A second nod to "boy" 27.Jan.2007 12:10

misactivist

Yeah, there seems to be the impression amongst a lot of people that the mere presence of black people indicates that a neighborhood is somehow a ghetto. Phrases like "hood" and "NoPo" are used with a kind of self-consciousness that belies the intent to use black culture as a foil to demonstrate any of a few things (the level to which one is slumming it, or sometimes, a kind of neighborhood pride (which is absurd when coming from some liberal (sorry, "radical") who has lived in this city and region for a small handful of years).

Now, after having said that, I would add that this city is no longer easy to live in, and moving into neighborhoods outside the inner-southeast or northwest is occasionally a necessity, and frequently just preferable, for a lot of people. For me, moving (back) to far-north North Portland (north St. John's) was not quite a economic necessity, though nearly. It was however, a brilliant decision for my mental health. I know neighbors and shopkeepers all over the neighborhood, frequently chatting for 20 minutes when shopping or bumping into someone on the street. That's how it should be. And it's not based on some pretentious common interest grouping built around liberal identity crises. Rather, it's based on the mutually understood fact that we need to establish trust and familiarity in order to get by. And rather than complicity with the litany of holy radical behavior codes enforced by Portland's self-centered activist COMMUNITY, one is simply expected to be respectful. That's also how it should be. I'm really thankful for it, and for the first time in a long time, I will honestly miss my neighborhood when I (am) move(d) on.

Furthermore, the issue of gentrification in Portland is pretty much moot, I think. There's simply to much wealthy immigration to allow for the survival of any continuity in our old neighborhoods. The rental market has imploded in an orgy of condo-ization, modest home costs are over the level of 15 years' wages for most of us, and the overall social atmosphere of the city core can be best-described as a upper-middle class playground. It's just a little bit late to be sounding the alarm. This shit is going on all over the country, and yeah, it's heartbreaking for those of us who have lost our childhood communities, but it's bigger than the whims of 25 year old indie kids.

So, when >>> criticizes "white hipsters, punks, anarchists" (you forgot real-estate speculating 30-40-something liberals), s/he is oversimplifying the situation. I mean, I'm fuckin sick to my stomach with this town's hipster population, and last thing I want to see is their spread to what's left of genuine Portland neighborhoods. But I see it everyday, and it's not always a cynical attempt to leach off of poor people. Sometimes it's just people honestly trying to find a sane, place for themselves to call home.

Let's look on the bright side for a moment. When Portland's marginalized population is squeezed out into a donut-shaped shanty on the city's fringe we will have Them surrounded. And when the American economy collapses from the military burden of supporting Them, we'll have them trapped like the be-castled medieval land barons that they are ;<).

Anyway, thanks to "boy" and ">>>" for calling this.

Like the Green Zone in Bagdad 27.Jan.2007 13:42

sunniman

>>When Portland's marginalized population is squeezed out into a donut-shaped shanty on the city's fringe we will have Them surrounded.<<

Language is a virus 27.Jan.2007 13:54

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

There' an altered sign out on Columbia Blvd that Formerly said "The Grotto" and now reads "The Ghetto". I am amused each time I see it.

An authoritarian tells people:

Where it's okay for them to live.
What they may call their own community.
What social group should actually be living there.
What terminology may be used by what social group.

re: Language is a virus 27.Jan.2007 14:41

misactivist

Authority comes in plenty of packages, partner. And no one here is telling anyone what they can and can't do, at the least because (and rather obviously) they don't have the authority to do it. Point is, a lot of people are being driven out of the places their families have called home for some time. And before that happens, a lot of people feel alienated in their own neighborhoods by the invasion of subcultures that don't understand their realities and "borrow" aspects of those realities for use as petty tokens of subcultural credibility. It takes authority to do that, the authority that comes with social mobility in a broader culture of power and entitlement that does not lend that luxury to unqualified marginals.

Finally:

A Colonialist tells people:

"I'm going to live wherever I want"
"I have the right to use your community"
"My social group has a right to be here because we want to be here"
"I can devalue your symbols and codes for my own amusement"

Do the people want condos here ? 27.Jan.2007 14:53

condoms not condos

Below is a discussion that is happening on metroblogging Portland.

Posted by jonashpdx
As I was on my way to get comics today, I drove by the site of the soon-to-start-construction Mississippi Lofts, and some enterprising soul had spray-painted the title of my post, DO THE PEOPLE WANT CONDOS HERE? in red on the "coming soon" loft sign behind the fence. By the time I swung back around to take a picture of it a half-hour later, it had already been knocked over.

But the short and easy answer is: Yes. Yes, we do.

what to do 27.Jan.2007 15:17

rich{gap}poor

so since there seem to be a few folks contributing to this thread who know just where to put everyone in Portland, what's the breakdown? let's see a little outline of where everyone should go - organized by race, class, maybe even sex/gender/sexual orientation.