12/12/06 Get This
1. Let's Make A Deal: The Army has reached a deal with the military police soldier from Oregon, Suzanne Swift. (Great! But isn't the Army supposed to be making some sort of deal with the enraged Iraqi populace?) Swift was forced into compromising positions by her superior office in Iraq - who, by the way, is not being charged with much of anything. But I digress... Swift has been sentenced to a reduction in rank and forfeiture of her salary.
2. Fucked: The Portland Archdiocese has reached a settlement after more than three months of secret negotiations over priest sex-abuse claims.
3. Fare Fair: TriMet is hosting a "transportation fair" today from 11 am until 2 pm at the Portland Building. Here's your chance to ask a few pointed questions - not only about the upcoming relocation of buses on the downtown transit mall. Why not ask about the ticket dispensing problems and the way young people - especially young people of color - are treated by the transit police.
4. Steel The Company: US regulators plan to take a long hard look at the proposed $1.2 billion dollar take-over of Oregon Steel by a Russian billionaire.
5. Portland Public Schools was one of three districts nationwide recognized by the EPA for efforts to make school air safer for students to breath.
6. Even lobbyists in Oregon have a few questions about the ethics of State legislators.
7. Dennis Kucinich has announced he is going to run for president in 08.
8. Al Gore is going to run for president - and win an Oscar for his film, 'An Inconvenient Truth'.
9. Jesus Is Looking For A Few Good Men: The Military Religious Freedom Foundation has accused senior officers of using their rank and influence to coerce soldiers and airmen into adopting evangelical Christianity. Those in the military, who prefer not to be proselytized, are seeing their careers sidelined.
10. Cindy Sheehan was convicted yesterday of trespassing for trying to deliver an anti-war petition to the US Mission to the United Nations. (We now live in a nation where one can be arrested for tapping a person on the shoulder, shot for being naked, tasered for paranoia, imprisoned for life for property crimes... . Spontaneity, humor, artifice and desire are potential felonies... Fear disembowels the imagination, gnaws at the soul and drinks the spirit like blood. (It will also go straight for your pineal gland, so wear a hat... )
11. In West Virginia, state mine safety officials want to scrap the report on the Sago mine disaster and rewrite it. Apparently they were looking for a little less 'truthiness'...
12. As Time Goes Dubai... AIG Global Investments is going to wind up owning Dubai Ports World after all. It was only a matter of time. And the Holiday Season could not be a better one.
13. Kofi Has Left The Building: The outgoing UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan ahs finally said out loud what is abundantly evident in his every gesture. It is sad to see him leave (The position now goes to Ban Ki Moon, a bureaucrat with no fixed personality and even less imagination... ) but at least at this critical juncture in geopolitics, Annan can finally present the US with some hard truths.
14. Wicked-pedia: The State Department is resorting to Google in its attempts to penetrate the clandestine world of international nuclear weapons proliferation. (At least they finally decided to have a try at figuring this maze of wormholes that permeate the shadow world.). A junior Foreign Service Officer typed 'Iran' and 'nuclear' into his browser. He had been tasked with investigating Iranian with possible links to the country's nuclear program. (So when Bush announces that he's got the goods on Tehran... .)
15. America's trade deficit is not so bad, but it's not good either... .And there are other bumps in the road. Otherwise why would a high level delegation from assorted American governmental agencies be heading for Beijing?
16. African Union peacekeepers killed three Darfur refugees yesterday (And you just don't get more 'peaceful' than dead... )
17. Also in Darfur gunmen on horseback attacked a truck carrying medicine and aid killed around thirty civilians, some of whom were burned alive.
18. In Beirut the demonstrations against the Saniora government are blazing.
19. The Arab League is trying to broker an agreement between the pro-Syrian and pro-/western camps in Lebanon to try to form a government of national unity.
20. Iraq's Vice President Tariq al-Hasemi says he plans to tell President Bush of his "dismay" over the Shiite-led government's handling of security. Al-Hasemi has hard words for Nouri al-Malachi as well. Could this be Iraq's new Strongman Waiting In The Wings? Ahh... sweep me off my feet...
21. In Mosul, Iraq, an A/P cameraman has been killed. And in downtown Baghdad at place, Tarayan Square, where day laborers gather waiting for work two bombs went off within seconds of each other. The explosions killed some sixty people and wounded hundreds more.
22. Israel has blocked a United Nations fact-finding mission to the Gaza Strip (Wouldn't want the world to find any real facts about what Israel is up to over there in the Middle /east, would we... .?). This particular mission was headed up by none other than Bishop Desmond Tutu. (This on the heels of the publication of former president Jimmy Carter's most recent book, 'Palestine: Peace or Apartheid?'. (I can save Desmond Tutu a lot of hassle: What Israel is after is apartheid. End of story...
23. Iran is hosting a Holocaust deniers conference. And along with the usual white supremist rabble, a number of Orthodox Rabbis will be attending. They are going because as Rabbi Ahron Cohen said, "We certainly say there was a Holocaust, we lived through the Holocaust, but in no way can it be used as a justification for perpetrating unjust acts against the Palestinians." That's what the man said.
24. Student demonstrators in Tehran are protesting the government of Mahmoud Ahmadinedjad.
25. Oil giant Shell has made a series of offers to Russian stat6e gas monopoly Gazprom, aimed at resolving problems over Shell's Sakalin-2, another gigantic ecological disaster brought to you by another gigantic oil company...
26. Pakistan is the Taliban's New Best Friend.
27. Italian police are getting tough on a new breed of Satanists. They've got a psychologist and an exorcist lined up and they're ready to take on the 'Beasts of Satan'