portland independent media center  
images audio video
feature article reporting united states

green scare | prisons & prisoners

Eugene Grand Jury Resister Freed after Six Months

For Immediate Release: 11/17/06
Green Scare Continues, Further Subpoenas Possible

After spending almost six months in jail without being accused of any crime, Jeff Hogg has been released from imprisonment. On May 18, 2006, Hogg, a nursing student and caregiver for disabled adults, was jailed for civil contempt after he declined to testify before a federal grand jury allegedly investigating "eco-sabotage" cases. His incarceration led to public outcry and support efforts in Eugene and beyond. Hogg was released from the Josephine County jail in Grant's Pass, Oregon, Wednesday evening, rejoining his partner and community.

"I'm happy to be free and not to have compromised my principles in the face of the abusive grand jury system." Jeff Hogg stated from his home in Eugene, Oregon. Hogg's attorney, Paul Loney, of Portland, Oregon added, "While Jeff Hogg's liberty is restored, he is still subject to a new subpoena from a future empanelled grand jury..."

Civil Liberties Defense Center | Thank You From Grand Jury Resistor Jeff Hogg

read more>>

Animal Rights Activist Found in Civil Contempt but Not Jailed

San Francisco -- Animal rights activist Nadia Winstead was found in civil contempt today [November 17] by U.S. District Court Judge Susan Illston for invoking her constitutional rights and refusing to testify before a federal grand jury. Winstead's attorney, Mark Goldrosen, immediately requested that Winstead be released on her own recognizance pending an appeal that will be filed with the Ninth Circuit Court. Instead, judge Illston stayed enforcement of the contempt order for two weeks to allow Winstead to file the appeal. Winstead had previously been denied a motion to compel the government to reveal whether unlawful electronic surveillance was used to obtain information included in her subpoena.

Independent journalist Josh Wolf remains in jail as a result of a civil contempt ruling after he refused to provide unpublished video footage of a July 2005 anti-G8 protest to a federal grand jury in San Francisco. After losing his appeal in the Ninth Circuit Court, Wolf has remained in prison since September 22. The federal grand jury to which Wolf was subpoenaed convened in early 2006 to investigate alleged damage to a police car that supposedly occurred during the protests. Wolf could be imprisoned until July 2007.

FBIWitchHunt.com | joshwolf.net/grandjury