Here is how the "Yellow Button Hack" is done:
1. Go to the back of the voting machine. Press and hold the yellow activate button (about 3 seconds). Release when the screen says "waiting for next voter".
2. Press and hold the yellow button again until the screen says "change to manual activation?"
3. Touch the "Yes" button on the screen.
4. At that point there will be a message on the screen that says "Manual activate voting enabled" (this is just displayed briefly)
5. Next message will read "Waiting for the next voter" When you see that you touch the message that says "start voting" or "resume voting" located in the lower right of the screen The AVC Edge is now set up for poll worker activation mode.
Here is the sequence:
If it's regular voting (as opposed to provisional)
a. Once you've touched the start or resume the "waiting for next voter" appears
b. Activate the ballot by pressing and releasing the yellow activate button
c. Activate the correct party for the voter AND press the yellow activate button using the keypad on the display screen
d. Select the voter's language if appropriate
e. Vote. (Once the voter has completed voting and cast their ballot. Prepare the Edge for the next voter. If the next voter is a regular voter repeat step B and D above.
You can now vote as many times as you want to.
This information was obtained in a public records request
You will find it in the AVC Edge with VeriVote Printer Poll Worker's Guide Booklet 5 Troubleshooting Document version 2.01 with date Dec. 29 2005.
link to www.bbvforums.org