newswire article reporting portland metro

actions & protests | police / legal

10 arrests at the World Trade Center

!0 arrests at 2:00pm at the World Trade Center. People had been protesting, demanding that Gordon Smith come outside and sign a "peace petition". We will be following what happens with these folks today and posting updates to the site. We will post updates as people get released.
...

Yes they were arrested, Call the Media 21.Sep.2006 15:34

allison

Indeed, they were handcuffed and taken away at about 2:00, 9 or 10 of them, by 20 policemen, just for wanting to talk to their senator about peace. Blumenauer is the only Oregon senator who has signed the declaration of peace. Oh the arrests were peaceful enough, but hey, is this what democracy looks like???

Please CALL the television stations and the Oregonian now about this story. We want people to know what happened and they too can be arrested for trying to talk to their senators about peace...stop the madness now! And, tell all your elected officials how you feel about this!

Senator Ron Wyden 503 326-7525
Gordon Smith 503 326-3386
David Wu 503 326-2901
Rep. Earl Blumenhauer 503 231-2300
Rep. Darlene Hooley 503 557-1324

KATU News 503 231-4222
KGW News 503 226-5111
KOIN News 503 464-0797
The Oregonian 503 221-8100
KPTV News 503 221-8100

The only way Change Will Happen is "IF" ... people take action 21.Sep.2006 15:45

Joe Anybody & Ben Waiting

Oh a little pressure on the war mongers huh!?

Cool!

I have Ben Waiting for that to start to happen

Damn republicans "like this war so much" they actually sleep peacefully at night, with visions of sugar plums dance in their heads
....when out on the street there rose such a clatter Smith jumped from his desk to see what was the matter....

...well Mr. republican how do you like your prostester by the handfuls or by the buss loads?

Get Active - Make Change Happen!

A question 21.Sep.2006 15:52

wondering

Was there any "law breaking" going on?

Why were the 10 arrested?

Their 1st amendment rights were violated 21.Sep.2006 15:57

BOHICA

Amendments to the Constitution

First Amendment.

The police violated their oath of ofiice by arresting them.

I just sent Gordon Smith an email 21.Sep.2006 16:09

Joe Anybody

I heard today that 10 people were arrested for trying to talk with you at your Portland Office. Why wont you discuss Peace and ending this war with those that live in Oregon and wanted to speak with you? Having those arrested and hiding from the issues wont ever help anything. This war is wrong , illegal and full of atrocities. These people should be released and you should look into signing the Peace agreement. Don't you want peace? Don't you want this illegal and morally wrong war to end? Bring our troops home. And we need to quit the killing of Innocent Iraq citizens. Mr. Senator sir, please bring honor back to the USA. Stop this war by working to change the direction of death and carnage that the USA is getting to be known around the world as instigator's and murderers. Please issue a request for charges dropped on the 10 citizens who want to bring world peace. Please step up and represent me and my fellow Oregonians that are sick and tired of this bloodshed. Thank you for listening to me. Now I will be curious if you can help stop this war or if you want to continue to foster the hate and destruction. You are either with us or against us, as we push for Peace in the Middle East. Please make a stand and sign the Peace Petition

Email contact for Mr Smith here -->  http://gsmith.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Home

Blumanauer's Not a Senator 21.Sep.2006 16:35

correction

He's a Representative in the House.

Oh I forgot to do "spellcheck" 21.Sep.2006 17:16

Ben Waiting

but also I might add Blumenhour "IS" a congressman, as well as Smith and Wyden

Law Breaking 21.Sep.2006 17:22

oh yes

I guess they were "trespassing." I think they were blocking the escalator. Check out the link below for some great photos!

Bless You! Thank You The Brave Ten 21.Sep.2006 18:38

Schoolteacher

Dear Brave Ten:

Thanks from the bottom of our hearts for what you did. Please post if you need donations for your attys. Where can we send a check Thanks for carrying the message that we are so fed up with this war.

lawbreaking 21.Sep.2006 18:45

whoozitz

word is the "lawbreaking" was that they were on private property and had been asked to leave....

So do ya s'pose it would be possible for our elected officials to have some offices that were open to the public, had public access, and that sort of thing...?

adam's face 21.Sep.2006 21:30

is

sweet!

bullshit! 22.Sep.2006 09:53

!!

if it's the world trade center, then is "the world" a public or a private entity?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Open letter from Gordan Smith 23.Sep.2006 20:23

Gordan Smith

Joe Anybody link

I heard today that 10 people were arrested for trying to talk with you at your Portland Office. Why wont you discuss Peace and ending this war with those that live in Oregon and wanted to speak with you? Having those arrested and hiding from the issues wont ever help anything. This war is wrong, illegal and full of atrocities. These people should be released and you should look into signing the Peace agreement. Don't you want peace? Don't you want this illegal and morally wrong war to end? Bring our troops home. And we need to quit the killing of Innocent Iraq citizens. Mr. Senator sir, please bring honor back to the USA. Stop this war by working to change the direction of death and carnage that the USA is getting to be known around the world as instigator's and murderers. Please issue a request for charges dropped on the 10 citizens who want to bring world peace. Please step up and represent me and my fellow Oregonians that are sick and tired of this bloodshed. Thank you for listening to me. Now I will be curious if you can help stop this war or if you want to continue to foster the hate and destruction. You are either with us or against us, as we push for Peace in the Middle East. Please make a stand and sign the Peace Petition

Dear Joe Anybody

I haven't yet received your letter via mail but I have to say I was impressed with your letter on this website, you should be a writer! Now as for your allegations about the fostering of hate and destruction, I'd like to announce that I have no comment, and if I were to have a comment, I certainly wouldn't leave it here where it would be picked apart by various half-wit food and service intellectuals and anti-American nay Sayers. As for bloodshed I'll say this: a man must test his metal, and what better way than in a hail of gunfire? Yes, we agree that that is the best way.
The ten citizens you are talking about no longer exist, nor have they ever existed, as to they're previous existence (the evidence of which no longer exists) I shall say this: no comment.
This peace agreement you are going on about means absolutely nothing, why should we sign something that hasn't yet been subjected to the system of filters set up by our judicial system and rendered completely invalid? I agree that it might be a nice public relations campaign, like if I were to stand at the top of the escalator waving to your detestable counter-parts and making a kind of virtual signiture, yes that might deter about half of you, but then what to do with that other half? At my position public relations no longer means anything because the only "public" that counts is already standing at the top of the escalator with me. I think what we are looking at here is a gross misjudgment of how our system here actually works. If our country were to elect a black, female, and gay president would it make any difference? Yes, but not the kind if difference you people go on about. That kind of president could carry on the most brutal endeavors, the most insanely inhumane enterprise, and be completely legitimized by the majority vote of her physical and sexual attributes. Why? Because you people operate on the same line of existence as we do: via an incomprehensible system of images. The image of my signing that treaty is far more valuable than my signing it, and in the end, in the reality divorced from our spectacularized existence; that too means absolutely nothing. It's just beaurocracy, nothing more, it can only function when used towards the disadvantage of the majority and only to seal the fate of our unending conquest towards human destruction. The left makes the mistake so often of placing weight in scales already unbalanced and reading the dial. You have to realize that those scales are designed to distort the reading to our advantage, and what's more, we've removed all of the accurate scales! Do you see? You place weight in beaurocracy, you seek "reformation", you must realize that this "reforming"
only works to our advantage, it's even a joke among us, here's an example:
The left worries of the heinous crimes committed in Iraq and we respond by installing a "democracy" there, which in reality is an foreign enterprise allowing mass control over a given people presided over by various corporate and Western bureaucrats, another wards; a seething grab bag filled to the brim with all sorts of colorful prizes. It's so easy, you say peace, and we go to war and make it! You cry over your dead loved ones during 911 and we murder just about everyone and steal their wallets!
There is something you need to realize here Mr. Anybody, there is absolutely no separation between your left and our "right", and we function in total harmony. You legitimize power by negating it openly in the streets; your image becomes spectaclized and marveled at by rich white Americans, and what happens? They lock their doors, they distrust you. You wear Che Guevara t-shirts and dress in black, what happens? Our marketers co-opt your market and sell it back to you, there's no escape! You buy organic products and eat free ranged eggs, what happens? The FDA lowers the standards in which to label a product organic so that the hurting corporate food market can have a slice. It's all really something.
Without the devil there can be no God, without radical action there can be no marshal law, and without reform there can be no legitimization.
Alright I'm done, you see? I care about the little people!

-GORDY

THIS LETTER IS AN AUTOMATED REPLY FROM THE SECRETARY OF THE SECRETARY OF GORDAN SMITH.

Why oh why 24.Sep.2006 13:40

Me

I never hear about these things. I would have came and supported everybody and sat there with you guys.