newswire article commentary portland metro

human & civil rights | media criticism

Mike Melloy and staff fired

How we progressives treat each other
Mike Malloy was fired by Air America---there has not been any legitimate reason given for this firing. What I do know is that it happened without any notice and was done with the same kind of shit that we criticize the NeoCons being guilty of---the abuse of power.

I sent the following E-mail to Air America and KPOJ here in Portland--"The progressive radio station." No response from Air America but I did get what I thought was a screw off response from KPOJ.

E-MAIL TO AAR AND KPOJ

People, who claim to be liberals, treat people with respect. One of the things I look at when dealing with people is how my friends and I treat others who serve them in some capacity. The way you fired Mike is the same as some idiot mistreating a server in a restaurant or a President telling a new employee to pull his finger so he can fart---you have violated one of our most basic principles, do no harm.

Bring Mike back, this was a major mistake that you may not recover from---bring him back now!

RESPONSE FROM KPOJ

Joseph,

KPOJ did not fire Mike Malloy.

Mike Dirkx
Operations Manager
AM 620 KPOJ
4949 SW Macadam Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97239

To: Dirkx, Mike
Subject: Re: KPOJ Comments

not good enough---get him back

Joseph,
I wish you all the best in the future.
Mike
?????
Progressive my ass!
well 31.Aug.2006 23:24

It's true that they didn't fire him and probably have no influence over air america. You should dig around for the details. I've never been a fan of air america and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some dirt about this issue.

from  http://www.mikemalloy.com/

MIKE MALLOY FIRED BY AIR AMERICA RADIO

There will be no Mike Malloy program on Air America Radio as we have been terminated as of 8/30/06.

We are as shocked as you are, especially since as recently as last Tuesday we were told we had the go-ahead to announce our return to NY airwaves and that our contract was "on the way."

We are told its a financial decision.

More details to follow as we hear them ourselves. Members of the press can contact  malloyproducer@aol.com to schedule interviews

UPDATE
Hey Truthseekers, Malloy here. My good friend Peter Werbe will be temporarily broadcasting on Air America Radio at night in my old time slot. He's a good guy, a true left-liberal, and now finds himself in an awkward position. He cannot comment about the circumstances of my termination on the air, which I completely understand and support. I have been in Peter's exact position in the past.

So I have a request: Please treat Peter with the respect he truly deserves. Please keep in mind he did not ask to be in this position. The righteous anger and frustration felt right now by so many supporters of our program should be expressed to Air America Radio directly.

Again, we will keep you updated as more details develop and thanks as always for your incredible support.

Malloy 01.Sep.2006 00:32

Blue Jay

I would like to see Mike Malloy back on the air too but he was not employed by
KPOJ. AAR seems to be going thru a process of re-evaluating their programming,
on-air peronalities and scheduling.

From  http://www.mikemalloy.com ...

Here's the phone number to call: 212-871-8290 or email to:  comments@airamericaradio.com.

-------------

The suits at AAR will probably make other stupid programming decisions. I've heard that
Sam Seder/Majority Report, a program with plenty of loyal listeners, and normally
on KPOJ in the evening will be moved to a morning slot. Unless KPOJ makes some changes
in the current daytime lineup we won't be hearing Sedar/MR, at least not during the day.
With Thom Hartmann, then Al Franken (don't really like his show), then Ed Schultz (can't
stand listening to him), then Randi Rhodes (can take her in small doses) what will KPOJ
do? I've writen to KPOJ as well about future programming (even before I heard Mike Malloy
was out at AAR) and Mike Dirx responded without answering. I like Hartmann but otherwise
listen very little during the day. In addition to unappealing hosts (Franken, Schultz,
Rhodes) KPOJ/AAR run the most horribly damn annoying commercials. Someone at
 http://www.democraticunderground.com under the Mike Malloy thread described AAR commercials
as "the dumbest shit I ever heard of." They alone are enough to make one change the
station...there are many but at the top of the list are the most recent are the Volkswagen
commercials.

With enough phone calls and email messages to AAR maybe they'll give Malloy his show
back. If they don't I think Malloy will find other opportunties, satellite radio,
another network, something. Overall. though I think AAR has been a huge disappointment
so far in promoting a progressive vision. That wasn't Malloy's strength either, his
shows were mostly a bitch fest, and often times I had to turn off his rants but he was
darn good at it. His rants were appropriate, there's a lot to rant about these days,
starting with, as Malloy called them, the Bush Crime Family. He has passion and wasn't
afraid to criticize the Dems when he thought they deserved it (contrast that with Franken
and other so-called progressives heard on KPOJ/AAR). I guess his passion was too much
for a network that seems to want nice safe (and often dull) hosts. Kind of like the
Dems nominating Kerry for prez. last time when they could have nominated Dennis Kucinich
(my choice) or even Howard Dean. Check out Malloy's website.

Malloy fired, Randi Rhodes on a No-fly list & Ruppert and Palast fled the US 01.Sep.2006 10:07

Rise Up Cascadia!

Malloy fired, Randi Rhodes on a No-fly list, Ruppert and Palast fled the Imperial Fascist Republic of Amerika... you tell me if you think its too late? Listen folks we are in deep and the shit is deep in our collective nostrils. Wake up people its too late for "voting in a November election" it is time for a September Revolution!

WHO CARES? 01.Sep.2006 17:09

why waste any time crying over commerical radio

This is why we have KBOO and indymedia sites.

KBOO has no night talk radio 01.Sep.2006 22:46

truthseeker

I care because Mike Malloy was the last of the great night time talk show hosts who told the truth and made me laugh. I don't hear talk on KBOO at night. Jeff Rense was taken out a few years ago, then Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis and now Mike Malloy. Besides missing these entertaining and provocative radio personalities, I am missing the information and challenging debates. It seems we are only allowed Democratic or Republican choices. Air America is Democrat friendly, and by golly I guess you better stick to their middle of the road program, or chance losing yours.

As Mike would say, God I hate these people.

Late great radio 01.Sep.2006 22:59

truthseeker

As Mike would say, God I hate these people.