1. Two campaign finance measures now slated for the November ballot could be decided tomorrow by the Oregon Supreme Court. The ACLU is suing to block a statewide vote on measures that limit contributions that interest groups, individuals and corporations can make to political candidates. Yes, we do need campaign finance reform - specifically we need to stop money flowing in from out of state backing measures and candidates here in Oregon. But take a close look at these two measure #46 & 347.
2. Made In China: Pollution from China has been found on Mt. Bachelor. (They got it cheap at Wal-Mart... )
3. The Tourists Have Already Won: Oregon campers are randomly firing guns to ward off other campers, hunters and any who would challenge their Gawd-given right to commune with Nature in peace and serenity.
4. Ron Saxton is saturating the airwaves with attack ads. (Follow the money: It leads straight back to Grover Norquist's Americans for Limited Government... .)
5. Oregon wants to "tri8m" the cougar population. I'd like the cougars to trim the human population.
6. Oregon's Fish & wildlife officers are taking to the Internet to track the illegal trafficking of Wildlife and Wildlife by-products.
7. Ron Wyden was in Astoria recently to hear commentary from citizens about the Northern Star LNG terminal (And do they ever mean 'terminal' Boy Howdy... ) at Bradwood. One attendee pointed out that Northern Star was handing out big sacks of money to various community organizations - goodwill, y'know... it's priceless..
8. The Red Tide in Puget Sound is caused by the hot weather, which will only get hotter as the Red Tides continue to effect weather patterns. It has to stop somewhere...
9. A chief prosecutor of Nazi war crimes says that George Bush (Saddam, too) should be tried for war crimes. Benjamin Ferenccz secured convictions for 22 Nazi officers. (Bring It On, Benjamin!)
10. A Republican candidate for a Nashua, New Hampshire Congressional seat says that the US government was complicit in the 9/11 events and that the government's intention was to make Americans hate Arabs and allow the military to bomb Muslim nations such as Iraq. Republican Mary Maxwell is so far out ahead of Democrats on this issue, she almost makes it look like the Democrats are complicit in the Neocon Coup that's been going on lo, these past years... .hmmmm... Hey, wait a minute...
11. Republican Representative Christopher Shays - once an ardent supporter of the Iraq War in particular and wars in general - now says we should get the hell out of Iraq and do it right now.
12. Anti-war protestors followed Bush to Maine in order to disrupt a Bush family function. (It was his second cousin's wedding. Wonder how 'Good Ole Boy.''s accent is holding up among the shady emerald family trees of Kennebunkport.?)
13. Ernesto is playing hard to get, toying with the attentions of South Florida residents.
14. Whistleblowers Strike Again! State Farm Insurance supervisors systematically demanded that Hurricane Katrina damage reports be buried or replaced or changed so that the company would not have to pay policyholders' claims in Mississippi. Our Heroines are Kerri and Cori Rigsby, independent adjusters who saw it all. (And should probably consider upping their own life insurance... )
15. The heads of the Army corps of Engineers says that despite efforts to repair the New Orleans levee system it isn't clear yet whether it could withstand a hurricane with heavy storm damage again this year. (Guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh, guys... )
16. The Bush administration has assured Congress ("And you believed this???") that career military lawyers are helping the nest of cronies design new trials for accused terrorists. But the administration has limited input on their key request, that any tribunals must give detainees the right to see the evidence against them. (It's called 'habeas corpus'. Get used to it... )
17. Even Rumsfeld says he doesn't think this missile shield installation in Alaska is actually going to work (But it'll make a great post-apocalyptic theme park)
18. Why did that Comair plane take the wrong runway?
19. Kofi Annan is off to Iran to get things straightened out ("Please guys, don't piss off the Americans, PLEASE?")
20. The Leftists candidate in Chiapas State won the regional election.
21. A third of China is suffering from 'acid Rain'. In some areas rainfall is 100% acid.
22. The US wants to deploy international observers at a major cargo crossing between Israel and Gaza. Isn't this rather late in the game?
23. In Sudan an American journalist arrested earlier this month has been charged with spying. Paul Salopek is a Pulitzer Prize winner from the Chicago Tribune. (Now if he was from FOX this would be a national story of epic proportions with its own theme music and tearful pleas from friends, family and editors...
24. The last few days in Baghdad have been even more violent than usual.