newswire article reporting oregon & cascadia

environment

Mosier locals call for boycott of City Repair Metapoiesis

The "Back 40" is a small piece of land where along with most of their
neighbors, the inhabitants have lived "off the grid" trying to live
a lower impact way of life. When City Repair asked the landowner if
they could do a fundraiser their, the inhabitants of the Mosier Creek area
where stunned at what happened next.....why City Repair?
Damage root system from road construction. This tree won't survive.
Damage root system from road construction. This tree won't survive.
Locals hoped these pines would grow and replace those taken buy timber industry.
Heavy equipment and Oak trees stacked next to new road.
Heavy equipment and Oak trees stacked next to new road.
Sometime within in the last week work crews began preparing the site for
the Metapoiesis event in the Columbia Gorge. To the shock of the locals
living around the land, as well as many of us who live in Portland, they came with earth moving equipment and chainsaws.

As you can see from the pictures the road built was devistating. The road
you see was built over the top of a logging road that was cut when the place was logged many
years ago. Locals have spent many years working to return this land to the Ponderosa Pine and
Oak ecosystem that is native to this area. From my discussion with them apparently this road
was also widened significantly and much of it didn't follow the decommissioned road at all. In
addition, you can see from some close up pictures that several Ponderosa Pines have been all but
killed by digging up a significant portion of their roots, some where cut down all together.
One local told me that approx. 30 Oak trees as old as 60 years old had been cut as well.

Locals responded by posting a complaint on the Oracle Gathering site which was subsequently
removed....however Oracle did come to see what the complaint was about. Apparently, as I was
told by locals again, they admitted that they had made a mistake and apologized. There are
rumors that many volunteers have agreed to boycott this years event.

I've been asked to relay a message from members of the Mosier Creek community.

Although the locals believe that City Repair and Oracle Gatherings are valuable organizations
they are deeply disappointed in the events of this past week they are not happy they have come
to Mosier Creek. They do not believe that the event as planned is good for the local ecosystem and are asking people not to come.

One last note. In no way do I, or the folks in Mosier Creek watershed, think that
City Repair is worthy of complete condemnation. On the contrary. City Repair is a
great organization that has done fantastic things for Portland.

Just not this time.

It would be nice if... 26.Jul.2006 11:26

Jaime

...you did some fact checking before publishing such a slanderous article! I looked at the Oracle board and it does not appear to me that any complaints were removed from the board. Quite the contrary, actually. I was impressed with what an intelligent, heartfelt, mature discussion was going on there as a result of the complaints being raised. Did you bother to check that board before you printed erroneous facts about it? I am very interested in this land and what is happening to it but I don't feel like I can put much faith in your article because it feels like a bunch of underresearched heresay. "One local told me that approx. 30 Oak trees as old as 60 years old had been cut as well" is a serious claim. But did you actually go to the property and count the downed trees yourself? Do you provide any proof that these trees had been cut down other than a quote from an obviously upset neighbor? No? Then you are printing opinion and not giving the other side any notion of fair reporting. You didn't bother to contact anyone from City Repair or Oracle to get their side of the story. This smells like unabashedly biased, agenda-serving propaganda to me. Shame on you for not getting your facts straight before completely bashing such a committed community organization like City Repair! I am pretty disgusted that anyone in their right minds would think it a good idea to print so many accusations under their name without *actually* checking their facts! I think I would like to see for myself what is going on out there.

checking facts 26.Jul.2006 12:03

ed

you really should check your facts before posting.The complaint was never removed on the oracle board.no one from the oracle has decided to boycott the event.we've had meetings to discuss that very issue.
you have a responsiobility not report lies, youre doing a crappy job

1000 words 26.Jul.2006 14:04

Norman

Pictures are worth a thousand words. I have been there and the destruction is real. Many of the oak trees are much older than 60 years. No the comments were not taken off but the thread was closed..for a time.

I'm a local, lived on this property and was at the Meeting 26.Jul.2006 14:13

ANT

As I read these comments all I can think is "typical indymedia".

Also I will post a coment after this that the Mosier Community has agreed to.

So first off, let me explain a few things. I've lived on this land for over 3 years (including winters) in a tipi. I've done restoration on around a hundred acres in this specific canyon. If y'all come out here, you will be told to camp next to my tipi. I am also a part of this tightnit community.

Next, A few things might have been slightly miscommunicated in the original post. Everything about the road is 100%true. There were only about 15-20 oak trees cut down ranging in age from 40 - 80 yrs of age. A local did respond by posting to Oracles open post. It may be up, but when we looked for it recently the post was gone but there was a very thoughful discussion going on. Also notice the post said "rumors" circulating about the Oracle Boycott.While at the meeting I was told by the only person there representing Oracle that many folks from Oracle were on "STAND DOWN" waiting for him to come back with word on the issue and where to go from there.

So settle down you City Folk. These ARE the FACTS. And if you think you can come out hear and decide for yourself if this is OK devastation, without knowing any thing about this very unique ecosystem DON'T COME OUT.

As a community we have decided to drop our call for a boycott because of the amazing work by City Repair/Oracle of listening to or complaints and points of views, and working to fix any problems that may have occured.

BOYCOTT CALLED OFF 26.Jul.2006 14:32

Concerned Mosier Residents

We want to say to all of you who have taken note of this issue, who have followed this discussion and taken a step back to question what is really going on and what their participation in the process of this event is, thank you. It is in all of you that we are able to see an integrity of heart. After our meeting with volunteers, event producers, and staff, we would like to commend City Repair/Oracle for listening to us, for seeing clearly the situation on site, and for pulling in staff and consultants who really do walk their talk in connection to the source and their hearts. We would like to thank all those involved, including ourselves, for learning from this process.

From our meeting we were able to see the red flags that occurred along the way and were missed, thus creating a disconnect between land and people, between urban and rural community, between all of us who really are basically on the same side. Those involved, and the stewards who live here, have walked the land together and learned from one another. The damage has been done, but at least the
misrepresentation of the work that has been done has been clarified. Now that Oracle is fully aware of site conditions they have the tools to re-evaluate it
and allow the vision to evolve appropriately. The community here will be available as a resource in a multitude of ways for the healing of the land and we are thankful to finally have a connection and bridge built between us- thank you for empowering our community by not letting our voices fall on deaf ears.

We have reached an agreement with City Repair/Oracle as far as the event its self is concerned. Oracle/City Repair has taken initiative to reduce the impact to the land by reducing the number of tickets sold. They have also committed their time and energy towards the restoration of the event site. We, the community of Dry Creek Canyon/Wasco Butte, still feel that the projected number is still more than twice the sustainable limit for the site, but due to the integrity of those involved, and their dedication to the land and to sense of community over the bottom line, we are willing to repeal the boycott that we have called. We have discovered that "boycott" is a very strong word when it is heard by conscious ears and can have a lasting affect on one's reputation.

We feel the need to express to the public the integrity of City Repair/Oracle. They listened when they did not have to, and not only listened, but heard the message of the land and the people who call this very special place home. This line of communication would not have been possible if not for the strong minded individuals within Oracle who chose to stand down from their activities until an understanding was reached. We would like to convey our greatest gratitude and respect for these individuals who feel and act from their hearts, and their dedication to finding common ground, and evolving. We ask the public to please, do not hold prejudice or reservations towards Oracle for
what has occurred here. Their commitment to the restoration of the site is proof enough that their hearts are in the right place.

We ask all of those who attend this event to come with the upmost respect and sense of responsibility for the land and the people who live within it. It is now up to you, the public, to insure that this event has the lowest impact possible at this point. We ask you to feel empowered by this responsibility of stewardship and allow that to amplify your ability to learn, connect, and celebrate this amazing, beautiful, and fragile place that we, the people who call this place home, are humbled by each and every day.

Kristin and Drew (aka jewelweed) and the community of
Dry Creek Canyon/Wasco Butte.

tree 26.Jul.2006 15:15

ed

Im glad a mutual consensus was reached for the sake of creating more communal ties.Aside from the shoddy journalism , the pictures were revealing, can that one tree with the roots sticking out be saved?

Educational Event !!! 26.Jul.2006 16:38

nOrm

I can only express deep gratitude for the passion with which we fuel our efforts. It is clear that the educational intention of this event is already realized, as we are all growing wiser through this discussion. Let's try to keep the dialogue clear and focused so we can really make some progress on this vital issue, which is much bigger than a single event or specific 40 acres...

Educational Event !!! 26.Jul.2006 16:40

nOrm

I can only express deep gratitude for the passion with which we fuel our efforts. It is clear that the educational intention of this event is already realized, as we are all growing wiser through this discussion. Let's keep the dialogue clear and focused so we can really make some progress on this vital issue, which is much bigger than a single event or specific 40 acres...

Unimpressed 26.Jul.2006 20:13

Very Unimpressed

This article sounds like something I would read in a national newspaper...how strange.

I suggest researching a bit more before writing articles...it doesn't do anyone any favors!

In Response 26.Jul.2006 21:30

Bison postin2@riseup.net

I am really happy to hear that Oracle Gatherings and City Repair where so receptive!
It's really hard for an individual let alone an organization to admit mistakes and
seriously offer solutions!

In response to comments directed at me:

I'm sorry Ed and Jamie felt the need to attack me personally for relaying what I had hear. Calling me a liar and a slanderer were personal attacks I don't feel I deserved. If you
point our specifically what you believe I was lying about I will apologize
and withdraw those statements. I believe all the statements I made to be true to my knowledge at the
time.

On that note, I apologize for the errors I made. I made my best effort to relay what I was
hearing. Not being a journalist I clearly made some mistakes. Thank you Ant for correcting the few details I had wrong on the number of trees. I had actually heard much higher numbers but went with the number I heard that was somewhere in the middle. As for the post on the Oracle site, there appears to be a disagreement. So be it, its not important, lets move on.

Ed or Jamie, feel free to email me if you would like to discuss this outside the public eye.
I will be more than happy to address your concerns. I don't need any enemies.

A City Repair Response from A Co-Founder 27.Jul.2006 02:54

Mark Lakeman

Hello to People who are learning about the Newest Project of City Repair, located in Mosier, a bit over an hour east of Portland. The event is called Metapoiesis. The name has many meanings, including 'catalyst', 'epiphany', and vision in 'action'.

I have learned that some more very good people in Mosier have become newly involved in the developing vision of Metapoiesis. I understand there seems to be controversy connected to the efforts now, yet I notice that these people deeply care about the land, and all life forms. So, I think that their ideas and energies will be very beneficial and undoubtedly they will enrich the whole project. About somee of the concerns people have expressed, first let me take full responsibilty for any tree thinning which has happened. I personally cut any tree which has been felled there, and no one else. I'm part of the design team and have a full-life's experience doing the work of intgrative and regenerative design. The trees I removed enable the creation of a beautifully integratd, tiered gathering place with terraces that slow and catch water, producing a very effective 'waterspread' demonstration. This will compliment other bioswale 'wrinkles' we'll be adding to the land over time, as we also plant more and more new oaks and cultivate the native life. These features and many more will quickly support an increase in biodiversity while providing more moisture for the increasingly more robust trees.
One of City Repair's elders, Toby Hemenway, author of 'Gaia's Garden' has been consulting on the design of all these features, including the reinvention of pathways and old access roadways so that they are less disruptive when used. Toby is one of the most beloved and respected teachers of Permaculture, with activated community projects across the hemisphere. The terracing is being done by a person who is one of the most capable and visionary people on Earth, a very dear friend and collaborator who is doing the very best he can at supporting this project. I am glad to hear that some peoplee in Mosier are concerned about anything we do, especially about ecology, and I also hope that they can learn more about what we are doing and why, who's involved. Doing this kind of work is tough, but I love it. When I felled the 8 - 10 5" or less oaks, and the 14-16 small doug firs, I kissed each tree, thanked it, and I stated that I look forward to building with each of them on the land in a way that demonstrates thoughtful, bioregional, and regenerative design principals. But before I say more, I'd like to say a bit about City Repair's deep relationship with Mosier.

Co-founders of City Repair have had a very special relationship to the archeological "secret" which resides in Mosier almost immediately after it was first identified. That was in the late eighties, maybe 18 years ago. Since then we have seen elders and young familes and friends in this community relocate to Mosier and build homesteads. More recently, we've designed two really wonderful and sensitive strawbale houses there, featuring some pretty cool ecological tweaks. The second is under construction as we speak and the bales will be installed during the Metapoiesis festival very nearby. The first house was designed for Brent Foster and Emily Platt. We also have played a role in the installation of the Totem Pole in the town center. One of our excellent natural builder's, Mackenzie Winchell coordinated the project when she was in americorps, and one of the founding CR designers was providing advice as MacKenzie asked for it. Our most memorable City Repair retreat was held in Mosier, the famous 'Naked flying Cob incident' of 2003. This was when everyone of the 35 core activists of the VBC project ran around naked all day and finally it all degenerated into a frenzy of flying cob, earth-painted friends, and rolling and laughing. City Repair work makes you both crazy and sane at once, depending on one's point of view. The event was held next to the Metapoiesis site, at Tom Ullman's place. Tom is the solar-designer and installer of every one of City Repair's solar photovoltaic systems which are located across Portland and he is a longtime Mosier Lover.

Maybe I should'nt talk about this one thing, but I'm going to; Most recently, another City Repair co-founder has returned to Oregon and relocated to Mosier, and this is very exciting because this person is a sort of national 'diva' of sustainable food systems and has proven amazingly successful at creating community gathering environments that bring people together around food. Crazy, all this huge national media coverage, yet the real trick has just been to get people to pass and share food with each other, say hello and maybe make a friend. The writers talk as much about the taste of the food this person makes as they do his/her theories of liberating community gathering and food sharing. The national culinary culture loves and hates this person because this person is so completely interesting and inspiring to them and yet they just can't understand him/her...and this person will be serving dinner at Metapoiesis on one certain evening!

So, by all that I mean that City Repair has a strong, deep connection and affinty with the amazing place of Mosier. I think that our most recent collaboration with the host of Metapoiesis, known by most people in the small-town Mosier area simply as Kent, is a culmination and a turning point of great promise for the local area as well as the region. This is what I think, and I'm very excited about the potential. Everything about the Metapoiesis event so far, even this controversy, is so rich with creativity and heart.

Okay, so I'm whupped from working all day, but I'll go on to say a bit more before sleeping. The goals and objectives of the Metapoiesis project are totally amazing in depth and breadth. It's an exhilarating fusion of vast community involvement, volunteerism, sharing of ideas and resources. It incorporates innumnerable dimensions of art and creative expresssion that are celebratory as well as being grounded in anarcho-democratic ecological design actions. Though what I'm saying may not make sense to some very dedicated people in the forest defense community in the light of our initial pathway systems at the site, I do look forward to being able to talk with anyone about the nature and complexity of what we are doing at the event itself. During Metapoiesis, in case anyone wants to explore ideas I will often be found at the Vision Center working to facilitate community and individual dialogues, ideas, and ecological designs. This will be located under the starboard wing of the T-Horse, within the Village center.

To directly address some of the concerns people have, I'll say that I look forward to personally meeting anyone and discussing their ideas, whether it's at the event itself or down in the town center while I'm running around. Whoa, it's 3am. Anyone can call me if they want, via City Repair.

Maark

Seems like it to me 27.Jul.2006 18:22

ANT

NOT going to this 27.Jul.2006 20:15

aquatic creature

I was going to go to this ( and so were about a dozen friends I know ) as we love Alex Grey's work and City Repair's work here in PDX as well ... BUT, we have to agree with you Ant. I know quite a few folks in Mosier and none that I have spoken with are very happy about this 'invasion' of sorts. Let's hope something good comes of this, somehow ...

in solidarity!

from one of the site designers 28.Jul.2006 12:52

Toby Hemenway

I volunteered to visit the Mosier site to aid City Repair in looking at erosion and water control issues and was principal designer of the new road. An earlier logging road, bulldozed straight down a ravine, was causing considerable erosion, with debris and soil obviously still being carried downslope during the rainy season. Contrary to what some have written, this road was not reopened. The intent of the replacement road, following a different course, was to undo the damage done by the existing road, reduce or eliminate the present erosion, slow down the movement of any runoff water, deliver runoff to nearby vegetation via bioswales, and allow sediments to be deposited in a way that would create level terraces rather than scouring out the ravine as the present road is doing. Constraints on the path of the road were: laying it out so as to minimize the number of trees cut, and to keep the slope of the road gentle enough to avoid acceleration of runoff to the point of causing erosion. These constraints meant that the road would be longer than the earlier road, having a number of switchbacks and meanders to slow water movement and avoid trees. The tradeoff here is you can have a short road that involves minimal earthmoving but will greatly increase long term ecosystem damage by erosion and runoff (like the earlier road), or a longer road that initially moves more earth and looks like it's doing more damage but in the long run is far more ecologically sound. We chose to lay out a longer road.

A business trip prevented me from being present when the road was being constructed, and that is unfortunate as it's always best to have the designer onsite at that time. I have not been able to return to the site since construction but the photos I've seen show that there was damage to at least one Ponderosa's roots that could have been avoided, and the depth of some cuts seems excessive. I am very sorry for not having been present during the construction.

We were well aware that the oaks being cut were not young trees; I lived many years in similar dry, hilly white oak/poison oak terrain and have designed a number of very successful large-scale regenerative earthworks, so we're not dumb city folk flailing stupidly in unfamiliar terrain. I also argued against the cutting of several oaks that had been flagged. Usually, though, the workers at the site repeatedly opted to remove invasive Douglas firs instead of the late seral pines and oaks, which I believe is the right course. In general I agree with comments that it's not the best site for the event and certainly not the best time of year, but by the time I volunteered my time, those issues had already been decided. Thus I saw my role as using the road and other construction to do restorative work from previous damage and to use the event as a way to create a positive, rather than negative impact from activities at the site. The event will result in a great volume of biological material and water being delivered to the site, and those resources, properly used, can be of tremendous benefit to the land. I'm very happy to see that the concerns of the neighbors have been heard and, it sounds, become the basis for a much more positive relationship between the conveners and the neighbors.

one mans assesment 28.Jul.2006 17:07

albert ijan postema wortel@riseup.net

Greetings, good to hear everyone talking remidiation

i was at the onsite meeting tuesday
and was able to view the project
with my excavation and permaculture background.
(founder Earthwise Excavation, 20yr ago, www.fromthegrounddown.com)
(permaculture 12yr, designer/teacher, www.wiseearth.org)

i think that what Toby had spoke of
and what actually happened are two different things.
and i did hear the same language onsite, but did not see its full implementation
i too echo Toby's sentiment that onsite
guidance would have been nice to be able to provide

while about half the work was in the area of old roads
there are two new "roads" (no pathway) 8-900'total
one, zig zagging its way down what was a virgin slope leading into the draw
two, a short straight one with 24-36" sidehill cuts from the stage area
from the opposite slope
now dont take this as meaning that things are horrible
not at all, i have seen worse, far, far worse
(kinda sad, but maybe it will make sense to us somehow down the road )
but there are some areas,
that things got carried away
by some operators not fully experienced,
judging by some of the damage i seen to the equipment

Remediation work

>>preliminary assesment<<

clean cut and protect damaged roots

tree heal for bark wounds

long term erosion/nutrient control, bio swales, water bars

replanting

road removal, two sections,

one coming from the entrance, zig zagging down the hill,
and one coming from an east ridge, .

a big step in remediation is to put the soil back into its original shape,
and we can leave a path for plant maintenance and future use.
essentially the process would be reversed
and would take one long day with a skilled operator

i will say again that i am completly willing
to help the remediation process, the start of "putting things back"

Cost Estimate $1800-2000,materials, etc. no labor cost included

anyways

a giant kudos to all those involved in this process
treefully yours
albert ijan

ps.
there is one clear thing that i want to make known.
if you are considering earthworks or know anyone that is
be very very careful, and talk and talk and talk to people

by and far, the worst cases of destroying
the magic of mama gaia that i see
are by people with rental equipment.

Oracle Gatherings Pulls Out! 28.Jul.2006 17:48

aquatic creature

(from the oracle gatherings forums) ...

First official statement from the Oracle Gathetrings

Greetings Beautiful Beings,

Many of you may or may not be aware that there have been some issues surrounding the development of the land intended for The Gift within Metapoiesis festival August 3rd - 7th in Mosier, Oregon. We have personally met with the local neighbors/stewards and they have shown us what our well intended gathering may be doing. They feel that an event of this magnitude creates more damage than the land can realistically recover from. The Oracle Gatherings has come together as an organization to stand beside the neighbors and stewards. We have made the hard decision to not participate in Metapoiesis but instead bring our event back home to Seattle. This may be troublesome for some, but in the end we hope all will see that this decision was essential for us to maintain our integrity and commitment to ecologically sound practices and community.

The Gift is now planned for August 4 and 5 in Seattle.

You will hear from us in the next 48 hours with details around the Seattle event and how we can proceed to support both The Gift and Metapoiesis. Thank you for your patience as we put the finishing touches on the new plan, and you will hear from us again soon.

~ The Oracle Gatherings
The Gift - August 4-5, Seattle

METAPOIESIS LIVES AND LEARNS IN MOSIER 29.Jul.2006 20:29

City Repair

METAPOIESIS LIVES AND LEARNS IN MOSIER

One week ago, City Repair began work to create an ecological education and festival venue. The plan included the removal of a select group of trees and a reshaping of the land's topography so that the landforms, while slowing and spreading seasonal water flow, would also provide a terraced environment perfect for a festival.

Meeting with the local community, we have reflected upon how our limited understanding of the land and the haste of the festival deadline have caused damage that could have been prevented. Even with the best intentions, we can be perceived as the enemy we ourselves despise. We are humbled by this recognition and believe that continuing with the event at this location will allow for a learning that is ultimately the true gift: that through heartfelt communication and sharing the wisdom of a place, we can remove the veils that prevent communities with much in common from uniting and becoming a force greater than the sum of their parts.

With the assistance of the local community, this event will reflect what we have learned. We have reduced the number of tickets sold to mitigate human impact. Native grass seed is being collected to replant the turned earth. Invasive plants are being identified and removed. We will asses the impact of our presence daily so that we may enlist the support of the event community in understanding and addressing this impact.

The vision of Metapoiesis has been alive for a long time. Though we recently gained and lost a partnership with Oracle, we remain committed to producing the first of a series of regenerative festivals that provide a forum for learning and celebration. We hope that the beauty and vision of this event ensures that we are welcomed back into this community for years to come.

BOYCOTT RESUMED Against City Reapir's Metapoiesis festival 30.Jul.2006 09:57

John B.

Many of us Mosier residents have been talking with city authorities, the fire dept. etc. regarding this event. We believe this is still unsustainable, largely unwanted by the community, and believe the fire hazard at this time of year to be of dire attention. Although we support City Repair's work in Portland, to us it seems like some of the egos involved are not 'letting go' and working in harmony with the community. You will be hearing more from us in the next few days, as many of us are out of town on a retreat, but will be returning tomorrow.

We urge EVERYONE who is concerned about the wild and rural area that we live in here in the Mosier area to please call City Repair and asdk them to please back off from this event and listen to the people, as the good folks at the Oracle Gatherings have done!

CALL CITY REPAIR 503-235-8946

How are 30.Jul.2006 11:25

earth movers

and chainsaws sustainable? What the hell are you thinking? The city doesn't need to be repaired, it needs to be removed. The wild doesn't need new roads it needs you gone.

Boycott is not back ON!!! 30.Jul.2006 12:15

ANT

John B's comment are only personal comments. I have been part of the discussions since day one and am part of the community. He may think that its still a bad idea but the community members involved in the dispute are not calling for a boycott. Make your own descision for yourself.

Wisdom birthed from challenge 31.Jul.2006 10:28

Volunteer on site in Mosier

Thank you all for voicing your concerns so openly. I have been on site in Mosier since the earthwork began. The machines were heavy and loud and used (primarily by one person who is on their own very particular path to remembering what harmony is) without complete understanding of the impact of them. Looking back it seems that decisions were made in haste. I witnessed through this entire ordeal that the fusion of celebrations and/or gatherings with the ecological imperative, the bridging of city and wilderness, is quite tricky. I have the utmost confidence that the designs that have manifested will ultimately bring good to the community.
The event is scheduled for Thursday and there are rumors being slung far and wide. RUMORS!!! The truth is that city repair, oracle, and the neighbors have met and have agreed all to support the vision of regeneration, for the land, the community. The concept of ecovillage is not new by any means and we have forgotten what that means. As humans we have been living harmoniously for a long time. Today we are in a serious state of affairs with the larger global community. We are quickly losing our resources, space, food, seed, water. What can we do to support a healthy relationship between ego and nature? Where is that balance found? The "devestation" I witnessed was like popping a shoulder that has fallen out of its socket... it hurts to pull out, it hurts to pop in, but then your back again to wholeness after initial soreness. Mama gaia is speaking to all of us now louder than ever and asking us what is truly important... Yes trees were felled. yes root systems were destroyed, yes city repair is planning for that impact... replanting native species, continuing the work long after this event has ended.
Metapoiesis was envisioned as a catalyst for change and as so many have been affected already it seems appropriate. If you want to understand deeper levels of earth"work," if you want to understand and accept that we all do have egos, if you are willing to embrace the mistakes that we as humans have made and dedicate yourself to healing from the inside out, please come out and support this event. Please only come out if you are intentionally building a tool box for visionary culture.
I feel so blessed to be part of this healing process. I feel blessed to have witnessed compassion and disregard as well. To me the past week or two has been a microcosm of the macrocosm, a small part of a much larger problem that is a fucked system of interation that we have collectively created over thousands of years.
Now that damage has been done (from what I saw that was due to city repair's unique system of allowing people to join with each other and so openly share it fucking hurts) we are left asking how do we encourage unity rather than more segregation, how do we respect each other and accept we make mistakes on the road to growing wiser and more attuned to the cycles of the earth, the cosmos, our collective consciousness? How do we support each other through the madness that occurs every moment of being? How can we raise consciousness to support harmonious interaction between human world, plant world, and spirit world? How do we support people we love on their journeys to awakening?
How does the spirit of the land speak to us and how well do we listen? These are the questions that are coming up for me and many others...
One last point i would like to make is that i appreciate city repair for their openness to share a very very difficult experience with all. From this we will all learn if we are receptive to the wisdom that is birthed from challenge. Thank you, and please feel in your heart what is truly right.

Outside the Box TV will cover this event 01.Aug.2006 02:03

Alex Ansary alex_ansary@hotmail.com

and Ill see you all there after the show!

so sad 01.Aug.2006 09:11

mr fish

I really kind of fell like this as well. (see ANT'S previous post below))

Kudos to Oracle Gatherings for taking a stand for our Mother Earth!

City Repair, I'm sadly dissapointed in ... :(

Seems like it to me 27.Jul.2006 18:22

ANT

"It seems like they are using this permaculture lingo to make excuses for developing a very healthy and wild place so that a bunch of city folks can have a rave and think they are learning how to save nature. You are good at fixxing the City thus the name City Reapir. We're the Wild WE DON'T NEED REPAIRED!!!!!!!"

Cancelled 01.Aug.2006 17:50

Oracle

Greetings Beautiful Beings,

After bringing together the best intentions to create The Gift within Metapoiesis festival, City Repair and the Oracle Gatherings learned that we created something too large for the site in Mosier, Oregon. In light of recent events, rather than asking people to choose between two events, we have decided to cancel both The Gift and Metapoiesis events as they have been advertised. Both communities will offer small, local gatherings. Donations will be accepted.

Please visit the following website for details about this gatherings:
Workshops in Mosier -  http://www.cityrepair.org
Seattle -  http://www.oraclegatherings.com

Both sides have sustained significant financial loss and donations are graciously accepted. If you would like a refund and purchased tickets online through Brown Paper Tickets, please contact  support@brownpapertickets.com or call 1.877.278.4842. If you purchased a ticket through a physical outlet, please contact the outlet directly to obtain a refund.

All of us at the Oracle Gatherings and City Repair have learned a lot from this process and deeply apologize for any inconvenience we have caused. As difficult as this has been, in the end we have created lasting relationships and exchanged essential knowledge about building community and how to heal the earth together.

We thank you for your continued support and hope you enjoy your weekend.

Sincerely,