newswire article reporting portland metro

bikes/transportation | corporate dominance

National Radio Show Threatens Life of Cyclists

On Thursday the 13th of July, according to a story posted on www.bikeportland.org, a local Shock Jock had allegedly made remarks inciting his listeners to do violent acts to cyclist while driving. Sadly, the radio station pulled the Internet archive before we could verify it and now refuses to release it. Several FCC complaints have been lodged.
Threatening Comment
Threatening Comment
Audio Rage
Audio Rage
Today I recorded the show and sent a few emails to the Shock Jock, who goes by the radio name PK because of "security reasons". I have created website of some sound bites that has some chilling remarks and examples of the rage this individual has focused on not only myself but the bicycling community. Even more frightening this show is nationally syndicated.

I am in no way suggesting censorship of this individual. However, I feel that his radio station pulling the podcast of the show is a tactic in which to prevent a proper FCC investigation. Further more, this is the arrogance of a corporation's misuse of the public airwaves.

What is new you ask ... well, this time we are not backing down. On July 22nd the radio station is having an event at Grants Park from Noon to 3:00PM. I feel that it is appropriate for all cyclists to attend this event and and personally thank PK and his Playhouse crew for endangering our lives.

Also the radio stations management is receiving an unusually high number of calls about this subject and I encourage you to voice your opinion how they should use your airwaves to them.

Tim Macnamara
503-243-7595

I do not recommend calling the morning show as they will only reedit your phone comments in an unfavorable way.

To hear the sound clips and learn more about organizing on the 22nd please goto:

bikeportland.org link -  link to bikeportland.org

homepage: homepage: http://web.pdx.edu/~jasun/haters/index.html

not 18.Jul.2006 09:57

in support of the station

I was also outrated by the reporting of the comments made on the radio show and I took the time to leave a deatailed voice mail with the Station General Manager, although I am not holding my breath on a return call.

However, it is highly possible that the station pulled it because it is OFFENSIVE and people can still complain to the FCC. They cannot "hide" it from the FCC or would risk the loss of their license.

I think the July 22nd meet-up in Grants Pass at their event is a GREAT IDEA.
will be waiting anxiously for the photos and reporting

is there any problem with burning an effegy? 18.Jul.2006 15:05

Exile portlander_in_exile@yahoo.com

because I'm up for that. I'd love to get the guys/gals from Chunk, the ZooBombers and the BTA down there with some effigies of the hosts, and perhaps the station manager. I'd like to see some walking papers for the hosts, sans unemployment insurance. maybe they'll have to give up driving......

talked to the station manager 18.Jul.2006 15:24

bike in your face

i talked to the station manager today...he reported that he saw no problem with what was said on the show and that people didn't need to listen. i fully support critical zoobombing his ass.

spread the word, the time, and place, let's have a rally! 18.Jul.2006 16:33

Exile portlander_in_exile@yahoo.com

as many people as possible, on bikes preferably. maybe then they'll notice. Darken their days, to honor the bicyclists that have been lost. Bring with us the Ghost Bikes to remind them. I'll be there, and I won't be alone.

I think it's time for some dead air, or a "change in format" for the frequency to go with our dead cyclists.

there is an organized get-together 18.Jul.2006 17:16

organic brian

"The website also has information about an event in which the morning show personalties will be at on Saturday the 22nd of July in Grants Park between Noon and 3:00PM. I wonder how many cyclist we can have thank the radio station for misusing our airwaves and endangering our lives ..."

So, everybody:

Tuesday July 22nd
Noon - 3:30P
Grants Park (between NE 33rd - 36th
and NE US Grant Pl - Hollyrood Ct.,
near NE Thompson - Brazee)

Show up with some food, we'll have our own picnic and some words for the show's hosts about the public airwaves and cyclists' rights to the roads.

woman recounting throwing objects from moving vehicle 18.Jul.2006 23:46

edmund

The recordings here are not particularly problematic for the station, just incoherent ranting. What could get them in a lot of trouble is the alleged account by a female host on the show describing an incident in which she threw things from her vehicle at someone, and saying she was preparing to do it again. She's not only confessing to a criminal offense, but she's explicitly endorsing it to other motorists on the air at drive time, by saying that she plans to do it again.

The station manager ought to become acquainted -- or forced to make an acquaintance soon -- with ORS 166.065(B) which describes "harassment":

Harassment. (1) A person commits the crime of harassment if the person intentionally:
(a) Harasses or annoys another person by:

(A) Subjecting such other person to offensive physical contact or;

(B) Publicly insulting such other person by abusive words or gestures in a manner intended and likely to provoke a violent response.

bike fun kicks the living hell outta everything! 21.Jul.2006 22:33

revphil

thanks jasun, this should be a hella fun day in the park

tall bike jousting
heat appropriate water sports

bring your sunscreen!

magnafing glass!!! 31.Dec.2006 10:54

patty patricia_ibarra_19hotmail.com

listen, we as human beings have the standard comon sence to know that when we hear certain things like pk sayng outraguse comments if you will, then we in ourselves do know better than to commit any hanus acts...
and if you are realy planning to go by the book then the 1st ammenment gives us the right to freedom of speach.