What: Benefit for SHAC7 & defendant Josh Harper
When: Sunday, May 28th 4p-8p
Where: Clinton St. Theatre (SE 26th & Clinton)
How much? $7 & up
- Divining Rods: local legends ( http://www.myspace.com/diviningrods )
- Eclectic Bastards: North Carolina's master mix of fun and feist ( http://www.bastardrecords.com)
- Juha: hiphop vegan anarchist, groom of god and pioneer of gothic soul ( http://www.juhamusic.com )
* Video: Refusing to Be Silent: An Interview with Josh Harper, SHAC7 defendant
* Speakers: on the history & status of the SHAC campaign; Matt Simpson, board member of Animal Law journal, will expand on the larger legal ramifications
SHAC has been successful in persuading hundreds of companies affiliated with, invested in or working with Huntingdon Life Sciences to break connections. They have hit HLS where it hurts: their wallet. Methods used include electronic civil disobedience, black-faxing (oh for the love of toner!) and phone calls explaining the absurdity and horror that goes on inside HLS. For this, the SHAC7 defendants are going to federal prison.
--On March 2, the Bush administration dealt yet another blow to the First Amendment, as the SHAC 7 were found guilty of multiple federal felonies for advocating the closure of the notorious animal-testing lab Huntingdon Life Sciences. Now, all six activists face years in federal prison. All six of the defendants are currently under house arrest while awaiting sentencing on June 13th.
--Not only is this conviction an appalling miscarriage of justice for the defendants, but it also demonstrates the erosion of free speech protections and is part of a politically motivated attack on the animal rights movement in particular. This is the first time anyone has ever been tried under the Animal Enterprise Protection Act of 1992 (formerly known as the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act), and the convictions set a nightmarish precedent for animal protection campaigners throughout the country.
--This is a landmark case. Common opinion is that it is the first of many and will be used against other organizations. Don't wait until they get around to targeting you. The SHAC7 are challenging their convictions in appeal, even as they face certain time in federal prison while doing so. Their success or failure will quite literally be yours if you're fighting on the side of life and compassion, against the powers of death and disenfranchisement.
For more info: