newswire article reposts united states

anti-racism | government

The Washington snake pit and Cynthia McKinney

Are black congress people and esp Cynthia McKinney being singled out on Capitol Hill?
The Washington snake pit and Cynthia McKinney
By Larry Chin
Online Journal Associate Editor

Apr 6, 2006, 21:48

There is no question that Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) is the target of persistent and ongoing efforts by both Republicans and Democrats to prevent her from doing her elected duties. One of the very few honorable representatives in a hopelessly corrupt and venal US government, McKinney---a longtime critic of covert operations and the CIA, US foreign policy, and the only member of Congress to address 9/11---has been singled out for intimidation, repeated police harassment ("security"), racial profiling, and a special brand of national mass media character assassination. And now, even the threat of jail.

McKinney gave a powerful defense in her original statement about the incident [my emphasis in italics - LC]:

"I have served as a Member of Congress for more than 11 years. Throughout my tenure in Congress, I seem to evoke memory loss, especially from certain police officers who claim not to be able to recognize my face while I go to work everyday, representing the people of Georgia's 4th Congressional District . . .

"Why my face is continually unrecognizable can only be answered by these offending police officers. Capitol Hill Police are given face recognition instructions as a part of their official training. Capitol Hill Police are required to recognize, greet, and distinguish Members of Congress as a part of their official role and responsibilities. In fact, according to the US Capitol Police, their mission is to protect and support the Congress in meeting its constitutional responsibilities. The US Capitol Police mission statement makes no distinction about selective application of its mission depending upon whether a Member of Congress is black, woman, or has a new hairstyle.

"But, honestly, this incident is not about wearing a congressional pin or changing my hairstyle.

"It is true that I have changed my hairstyle. It is true that at the time I was not wearing my pin. But many Members of Congress aren't wearing their pins today. Just in the last hour, at least eight Members of Congress have been spotted speaking from the well of the House without their pins and even more have been seen on the Hill today not wearing their Congressional pin. How many of them were stopped by Capitol Hill Police? Do I have to contact the police every time I change my hairstyle? How do we account for the fact that when I wore my braids every day for 11 years, I still faced this problem, primarily from certain white police officers?

"This morning at approximately 8:57 a.m., I was going to a Budget Committee meeting due to start at 9 a.m. I was rushing to my meeting when a white police officer yelled to me. He approached me, body-blocked me, physically touching me. I used my arm to get him off of me. I told him not to touch me several times. He asked for my ID and I showed it to him. He then let me go and I proceeded to my meeting and I assume that the police officer resumed his duties."

Anybody who knows military/police brutality understands what McKinney has endured. Anyone who understands provocation and setup knows the drill. Ask any African-American who finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, anywhere in America. Ask any Palestinian who is in the crosshairs of Israeli "security" forces. Ask any Iraqi, under the yoke of US occupation. Ask any Hurricane Katrina victim in New Orleans, who watched Blackwater Security mercenaries take over their neighborhood.

etc

McKinney is one of the only honest politicians left 07.Apr.2006 13:04

Jody Paulson

And they're gunning for her.

Here's McKinney bringing up the 9-11 war games in congress:

She's been a force of truth in so many areas: Katrina, 9-11 investigations, sex slavery ... I've no doubt the "failure to recognize" this outspoken congresswoman was deliberate.

Never mind 07.Apr.2006 16:31

Toe Tag

She apologized for the incident on the floor of the House:

you don't have to be black 07.Apr.2006 17:09

roknich

This usually isn't important -
but I happened to be white-
and I will tell you, those PIGS learn quickly to recognize the face of there designated enemy, even from a distance.
And I'm certain that's not all they can recognize, given the toys they are provided from the federal govt
that DO NOT APPEAR in the city budget. here is an example from another city:

and in SALEM OREGON I have gotten to know a good percentage of the PIGS on your force,
(ESPECIALLY a certain CORPORAL)
ever since the day I went to visit (then) Mayor Swaim to complain about military drills
being conducting with the local police.

He called Bob (who remained city manager well into Janet Taylor's tenure), who called the police cheif
and the next day the familiar now familiar war wagon that had appeared the previous day was gone from it's
parking space on the way up the hill from the library.

Several days later it was back.

The first day I saw it, Salem police and uniformed SOLDIERS were carrying crates of high-powered rifles
out of the "war wagon" I regret I didn'thave a camera with me. I stood there long enough to make sure they
saw me. I wanted every single one of them to know that I saw everything that was happening.
I don't regret it in spite of the severe difficulties I have suffered as a result.

I'll tell you something - when highly trained nazis move in on your town the thing to do is to drive the fuckers the hell out. And so it should be in Washington DC, especially.

This is the land of the free and the home of whom? The fainthearted? The PIGS? NO - THE BRAVE
Thank God for the bravery of Cynthia Mckinney!
"They messed with the wrong one this time"
see:

as to my friend the corporal who made it his business (as did Mr. Peter Kelly) to stalk me everywhere I lived in Salem I have 2 words ------
oh I have witnesses, and I have lawyers too.

David Roknich

The Rebuking and Scorning of Cynthia McKinney 10.Apr.2006 13:53

repost

Weekend Edition, April 7-9, 2006

"Invisibility Looks Good on You"
The Rebuking and Scorning of Cynthia McKinney

By DAVID VEST

A Washington press corps that stood idly by while Bush and Cheney plundered
the country, wrecked the environment, spied on Americans without a warrant,
tortured civilians and lied the country into a war that will only get
worse, woke up one morning and collectively decided: "Let's all play Get
Cynthia!"

Let's get her for being too outspoken, bringing up the wrong issue at the
wrong time, failing to get with the program, becoming a distraction,
leaving House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi beside herself with rage.

Let's get her because, hell, she practically volunteered for it, and
besides, she's an easy target, standing practically alone, fired upon at
will by Republicans -- who seem to think her story cancels out DeLay,
Abramoff, Katrina and Iraq -- and virtually undefended by Democrats, except
by the rolling of eyes heavenward, as though to say, "Oh, please! We're not
responsible for HER!"

Rep. Cynthia McKinney has now apologized for her part in the face-off at
Checkpoint Cynthia. It was not enough to stop the cartooning of the
coverage. Already the news wires are spinning her statement as a complete
about-face, an abandonment of everything else she has said about the
incident. Look, she said there was racial profiling in Washington! Look,
now she's apologizing!

Journalists are reporting this story as though it were their job to "get"
her, breathlessly revealing that the woman who receives more hate mail than
Teddy Kennedy employs a part-time bodyguard, as though it proved something
about her mental state.

But note, please, Rep. McKinney did not take back anything she has said
about racial profiling in the nation's capitol. And the fact remains that,
while each day's mail brings a new wave of personal threats, some of the
people charged with protecting her affect not to recognize her. A
Republican colleague offered the suggestion that she could announce "I am a
Member of Congress" each time she passes a security checkpoint. But
McKinney has served for eleven years, not eleven minutes.

Here's a test of media fairness: how many times, over those eleven years,
have you seen Rep. McKinney on CNN, NBC, ABC, or CBS, asked to explain her
views on Iraq and the Middle East? Not once, you say? Read on for the "why
come" of it all.

The leaders of her own party turn their backs while she endures the most
vicious racial stereotyping I've seen, since the last time I looked at that
old KKK rag called the "Thunderbolt" when a fellow college student stuck a
copy in my face back around 1963. "I know it's probably racist," he said,
"but it's funny," as if that would have made it all right.

It wasn't funny, it was disgusting, and I don't think what's happening to
Rep. Cynthia McKinney is funny now. Much of the commentary seems to have
been written by the same sort of people who say they don't agree with Rush
Limbaugh, they just listen to him for "entertainment." (Anybody out there
who listens to Rush for entertainment, please get your eyes off of my
words, I've got nothing to say to you and I sure as hell don't want to
"amuse" you.)

Two-party collusion in the destruction of a reputation is the story here,
folks. For Pelosi, the affair is "not something we need to focus on."
Judging by Dennis Hastert's comments, Checkpoint Cynthia was the biggest
national security event since 9/11.

Rep. Tom DeLay called McKinney a racist. Nothing DeLay said would surprise
me, and that comment was no exception. What did surprise me was that I
couldn't find any stories quoting any Democrats saying, "Tom DeLay called
somebody a racist? Tom DeLay?!"

Oh, I know. They didn't want to take the bait, fall into the trap, keep the
ball in the air for another news cycle. But really, how can they stand
this? How can anybody?

Right wingers, aided by Democrats, are spinning McKinney as "arrogant,"
"haughty," a "nut-case," even "the madwoman McKinney" -- a woman who, just
between us pros, wink wink, doesn't understand how "the game" is played.

She understands the game all right. She just refuses to play it. When CNN's
Soledad O'Brien, trying to take control of an interview, said to McKinney,
"Let me stop you there," what came back on her was something spoken in a
tone rarely used toward a TV personality: "You can't stop me, Soledad."

And you can't control me, she might have added, and you can't dictate your
own framing of the issues with me.

How easy it is for people who don't have a history of having their right to
be present challenged, to counsel others to be more "calm" and "sensible"
when provoked.

How easy it is to imagine a senior party member sitting down with Rep.
McKinney, patiently and paternalistically explaining that politics is the
art of compromise, sweetie. We all know what's supposed to be meant by
that, but what kind of compromise do we really want our elected
representatives to make with racial profiling, warrantless wiretapping,
torture, and a war founded on lies?

The Democratic Party has already compromised this country into desperate
straits, going along to get along with Bush. It has been so long since one
of them stood ground on anything, we're all shocked when it happens.

Cynthia McKinney is standing firm, with little visible support, but then
she has stood alone before. Like that time when she actually voted to
withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq, when given the chance. She was joined by
only two other members of the House. The Republicans dared the Democrats to
vote for withdrawal, and the Dems all frantically denounced the maneuver as
a trap. McKinney seized the moment and called their bluff. Is that what her
critics have in mind when they call her a "nut-case" or even worse names?

If she's a nut-case, then maybe we need to send some more crazy people up
in there.

She stood alone in 2002, when power brokers in her own party recruited a
Reagan Republican stalking horse to defeat her, after McKinney expressed
support for Palestinian rights and was among the first to call for an
investigation of the Bush Administration after 9/11. The party line at that
time was that "we've all got to stand behind the president" in the
Wonderful War on Terror.

And then, when McKinney rose from the political dead and returned uninvited
from the oblivion they had consigned her to, and reclaimed her seat without
anyone's special blessing, other than the voters of her district, the
Democrats in the House celebrated her historic comeback by refusing to
restore her seniority.

That was Nancy Pelosi's way of saying, "You will comply."

They wanted to keep Crazy Cynthia away from the microphone, of course they
did. Out of sight, out of mind. Can't have our elected officials running
around saying the same things the public is saying about the war on Iraq!
Makes us look bad! And thus it comes to pass that we get news stories
saying things like, "Since returning to Washington, McKinney has kept a
lower profile until last week's incident," as if keeping quiet on public
matters was her own idea.

The incident with the Capitol Police wasn't about her hair. It wasn't about
the identity pin. It's about the fact that when you are female, black,
antiwar, and militant, invisibility looks good on you, from where the
pro-war Dems sit.

Some of us are old enough to remember that many Democrats accused Martin
Luther King, Jr. of "ingratitude" when he began to speak out against the
Vietnam War. That was the very moment when, in the eyes of many who had
previously and publicly despised him, he was transmogrified into the Great
Civil Rights Leader, who had now "gone too far" and "risked" damaging the
wonderful "reputation" he had earned, not to mention all the "progress for
his people" that (hint, hint) could be rolled back if a "backlash" were
provoked.

Vestiges of this view persist today in some quarters. William F. Buckley
has said (recently) that he regrets that National Review opposed Civil
Rights. He has not, insofar as I am aware, expressed a hint remorse for not
supporting King in trying to stop the war in Vietnam.

So now, today, we have Rep. McKinney calling Israel to account, demanding
justice for Palestinians, questioning what happened on 9/11, giving no
quarter on racial profiling, and voting against the war in Iraq.

How are the do-nothing Democrats supposed to get the benefit of the antiwar
crowd, if there are people running around actively voting against the war?

They act as though they believe all the country really needs is not to end
the disaster in Iraq but to let the "good guys" run it.

The noble John "Nobody Spins Me" Kerry writes an op-ed calling for not one
but TWO deadlines in Iraq (top that, Hillary!) and the whole party has a
conniption fit because all anyone can talk about is this uppitty Black
woman who won't let security or anybody else, including party leadership,
manhandle her.

Nancy Pelosi had her party theme all picked out: we were all supposed to be
talking about Tom DeLay and this "Republican culture of corruption," and if
anyone pressed us on Iraq, we were to demand, with one mighty voice (are
you ready? all together now ...) "that 2006 be a significant period of
transition" in Iraq.

The Democratic Party, in splendid unison, calling upon American sons and
daughters to hurl their bodies into the immolating fire, for the sake of "a
significant period of transition" -- who could resist?

How different from that other voice, that Black voice from Georgia, joined
by a handful of others, saying "Bring the troops home. Stop this war. Now."

You begin to get a pretty clear idea why the Democrats have never asked
McKinney to give the rebuttal after a Bush State of the Union.

And as for the Republicans, with few exceptions, they don't ever intend to
let another person of color claim to be a victim of racism without
attacking her credibility. Not one more. (Recall how patiently they
explained to us all that what happened in New Orleans in the aftermath of
Katrina "wasn't about race.")

Let them convene their grand jury and push their polls. Maybe one day a
polling agency will call you, to ask what you think about white folks
telling people of color that they're wrong to feel that anything, anything,
is ever about racism.

Before judging Rep. McKinney, ask yourself, what kind of person would still
be in public service, after setbacks and sabotage attempts like these? What
kind of person would keep reporting for duty after being consistently
disrespected, and repeatedly challenged to "identify" herself after 11
years in Congress? And then to be mocked and attacked for her refusal to
meekly "comply" when physically prevented from going to cast a vote.

You got a bit of the answer if you saw Rep. McKinney on CNN with Wolf
Blitzer. I liked it when she refused to let him control the conversation,
but I have to tell you, we stood up and cheered at my house when she told
Blitzer, "Don't even begin to twist my words."

Among the comments at our table that evening was, "Why can't SHE be
president?"

Singer-songwriter David Vest can be reached at:  davidvest@springmail.com.

His CDs includes Serve Me Right To Shuffle and Way Down Here (Live).

Give me just 50 more Mckinney's and 50 More Dean's 19.Apr.2006 03:29

Barbera Stewart, Small Business and Women Busines Advocate barberastewart@hotmail.com

Thank you, Sir, For coming to the defense of this Congresswoman who 11 years ago raised her hand and took an oath before GOD and the Citizens of her district, to represent them in The Congress of the United States of America. I constantly monitor Congressional Hearings in search of Laws that could be harmful to Small Businesses and have viewed countless hearings over the years, many historical hearings and votes by Congressional Members, I have on tapes. I stand Sir, in support of this Congressional Members' Record, she has served her constituents' honorably and has maintained her covenant with her oath of office as a Member of Congress. I witnessed her courage, her unwillingness to submit to the pressures that were being placed upon all members of Congress who did not belong to the Republican Party and bend her knee on any legislation that would harm her voters. You Sir, are correct in your assessment of that which is at the foundation as to what is wrong with Congresswoman McKinney. She, unlike many of her fellow Congressional Members, was sent to Congress by the voters of her District and actually reported to work each and every day fought courageously against the most powerful and kept her word to her Citizens. If you step back and look over her time of service on The Hill, Cynthia McKinney was a Howard Dean way before Howard Dean suddenly decided to go against the norm of politics on The Hill. Ummm, is any one still calling him crazy post 911 or any issues he raised during his run for office? As a Woman of Color my soul and spirit aches every time one of my Women are courageous enough to take a stand for that which is just causing them to be attacked and my Men either allow them to be abused or what is worse they join in on the feeding frenzy. Remember, McKinney is walking the path of Maxine Waters, the difference is that she is not as powerful as Waters, another Congresswoman who withstood the tide with integrity under extreme pressure to betray her Citizens back at home. I had to return home to Washington for a hearing last week to break up an initiative that was launched by a 1st term Republican Senator from Oklahoma, who feels that the SBA financing programs should be abolished. This dangerous hearing and the initiative to dismantle The SBA that is aggressively growing on The Hill, would surely cause the death of our small businesses in this country and throw thousands of more workers into the streets was kept way beneath the radar screen. Needless to say the word go out, and the notices went out across this country , the turn out at the hearing was outstanding, even the folk back home in Oklahoma who owned businesses didn't know what he was up to flexed their muscle. The end result, we staved off the demise of The SBA and the plethora of Financing and Assistance Programs to Small Businesses in this nation once again. Why is this issue relevant to your posting in support of McKinney? From the moment that I arrived to D.C. at Union Station, then while waiting in line to go through security at the Dirksen Bldg. straight through the hearing until it's end and over the next 3 days everyone was focused on " Crazy McKinney ". I submit to you that when I got home, I was compelled to drop my luggage and go to my husbands video collection and take out the movie classic Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Let's educate those who are too young to know this film and remind those who have forgotten the reality of that place called The Hill or Congress as to the truth that existed then and today for our Elected Officials who serve us. I must return home next week to do that which is necessary to protect Small Businesses from The Halliburton's and the current Administration, while there I will find Congresswoman McKinney and hand her this article by you, give her a Rose, and ask her permission to give her a hug of thanks. She is in a lonely place, she needs to know that she is appreciated and admired for the work that she has done and continues to do. Then I am compelled to seek out Mel Watts, The Chairman of The Black Congressional Caucus and all of My Black Congressional Representatives that left her standing alone once again. Not to forget that they left their own constituents alone in the dark as about this Senator from Oklahoma, Coburn (R) who is working to kill opportunity for their constituents and all other citizens in this country. Give me just 50 more McKinney's, and much that is wrong in our communities would not be ... . Barbera Stewart barberastewart@hotmail.com www.THELINK2000@communities.msn.com

Senator holds hearing to dismantle SBA
Senator holds hearing to dismantle SBA
Business Organizational Leaders call for changes within The SBA
Business Organizational Leaders call for changes within The SBA
SBA  Refuses to Reveal Names of
SBA Refuses to Reveal Names of " The Halliburton Club Members "