Please start faxing and calling today and every day. And pass this on to others to call. We need to keep the heat on and show Senator Wyden that the people of Oregon really do want the troops home now.
The numbers are as follows:
Senator Ron Wyden
1220 SW 3rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97204
Please stop fiddling while Iraq burns. When you state that it is up to the President to fix the disaster we have created in Iraq, you are abandoning the people of Iraq, American soldiers, and the responsibility placed in you by your constituents.
It is not only up to the President to decide how and when the United States leaves Iraq. Congress funds the war, not the President. Moreover, when the President fails his country, it is up to the people, including you, to lead. You can do that now by introducing legislation to end the war with the following components:
1. No permanent bases in Iraq. Declare that the U.S has no interest in permanent military bases or controlling Iraqi oil or other resources.
2. Withdrawal in months, not years. Set goals and develop a detailed plan to remove American forces from Iraq.
3. U.N.-monitored peaceful reconstruction. Request that the United Nations monitor the process of military disengagement and de-escalation, and organize a peaceful reconstruction effort.
4. An independent peace process. Appoint a peace envoy independent of the occupation authorities to underscore U.S. commitment to a legitimate peace process.
5. Cooperative political settlement. Empower the peace envoy to facilitate talks that represent all Iraqis.
Iraqis are dying, Americans are dying, and our continued presence on their soil only fuels the hatred that fuels the insurgency. Our government said "we must stay the course" in Vietnam, right up until the bloody, unplanned, emergency withdrawal. Please don't guide us into making the same mistake again. Please be a leader for Oregon and a leader for the world. Please sponsor legislation to end the war in Iraq.