newswire article reposts united states

actions & protests | imperialism & war

Sheehan: "What Really Happened"

Cindy Sheehan has released a statement about what really happened when she was arrested yesterday in the gallery of the House of Representatives, shortly before Bush entered to give his State of the Union speech.

"There have been lies from the police and distortions by the press."

Her statement has been posted at Michael Moore's website. Here it is.
...a message from Cindy Sheehan

Dear Friends,

As most of you have probably heard, I was arrested before the State of the Union Address tonight.

I am speechless with fury at what happened and with grief over what we have lost in our country.

There have been lies from the police and distortions by the press. (Shocker) So this is what really happened:

This afternoon at the People's State of the Union Address in DC where I was joined by Congresspersons Lynn Woolsey and John Conyers, Ann Wright, Malik Rahim and John Cavanagh. Lynn brought me a ticket to the State of the Union Address. At that time, I was wearing the shirt that said: 2,245 Dead. How many more?

After the PSOTU press conference, I was having second thoughts about going to the SOTU at the Capitol. I didn't feel comfortable going. I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket and I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her. I, in fact, had given the ticket to John Bruhns who is in Iraq Veterans Against the War. However, Lynn's office had already called the media and everyone knew I was going to be there so I sucked it up and went.

I got the ticket back from John, and I met one of Congresswoman Barbara Lee's staffers in the Longworth Congressional Office building and we went to the Capitol via the underground tunnel. I went through security once, then had to use the rest room and went through security again.

My ticket was in the 5th gallery, front row, fourth seat in. The person who in a few minutes was to arrest me, helped me to my seat.

I had just sat down and I was warm from climbing 3 flights of stairs back up from the bathroom so I unzipped my jacket. I turned to the right to take my left arm out, when the same officer saw my shirt and yelled, "Protester." He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs. I said something like, "I'm going, do you have to be so rough?" By the way, his name is Mike Weight.

The officer ran with me to the elevators yelling at everyone to move out of the way. When we got to the elevators, he cuffed me and took me outside to await a squad car. On the way out, someone behind me said, "That's Cindy Sheehan." At which point the officer who arrested me said, "Take these steps slowly." I said, "You didn't care about being careful when you were dragging me up the other steps." He said, "That's because you were protesting." Wow, I get hauled out of the People's House because I was, "Protesting."

I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things...I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately, and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for "unlawful conduct."

After I had my personal items inventoried and my fingers printed, a nice Sgt. came in and looked at my shirt and said, "2,245, huh? I just got back from there."

I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain.

What did Casey die for? What did the 2,244 other brave young Americans die for? What are tens of thousands of them over there in harm's way for still? For this? I can't even wear a shirt that has the number of troops on it that George Bush and his arrogant and ignorant policies are responsible for killing.

I wore the shirt to make a statement. The press knew I was going to be there and I thought every once in awhile they would show me and I would have the shirt on. I did not wear it to be disruptive, or I would have unzipped my jacket during George's speech. If I had any idea what happens to people who wear shirts that make the neocons uncomfortable...that I would be arrested...maybe I would have, but I didn't.

There have already been many wild stories out there.

I have some lawyers looking into filing a First Amendment lawsuit against the government for what happened tonight. I will file it. It is time to take our freedoms and our country back.

I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether he/she has paid the ultimate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government. That's why I am going to take my freedoms and liberties back. That's why I am not going to let Bushco take anything else away from me...or you.

I am so appreciative of the couple of hundred protesters who came to the jail while I was locked up to show their support....we have so much potential for good...there is so much good in so many people.

Four hours and 2 jails after I was arrested, I was let out. Again, I am so upset and sore it is hard to think straight.

Keep up the struggle...I promise you I will too.

Love and peace soon,
Cindy

WE FOUGHT FOR A DEMOCRACY 01.Feb.2006 07:51

LONE VET tendjoe@aol.com

So now we have cops who are going to arrest you if they don't like what you say on your shirt. You are ok with that? Cindy had every right to wear the shirt she wanted. As a Vet, I say if you buy into this crap of not being allowed to wear any shirt you want while listening to Bush, maybe you should get the hell out of my country.

Lone Vet (USN 1962-71)

number 01.Feb.2006 08:55

RT

At least Cindy KNOWS how many have died. Most folks in the present administration don't have a clue.....nor care.

accursed fascists! 01.Feb.2006 09:21

theresa mitchell

The capitol cops had no right to arrest Cindy for wearing a t-shirt. Is Bushie-poo so incredibly fragile that he would have sniffled and run out if he had seen it? How far are we now from the horrors of the Supreme Soviet under Stalin, where delegates kept clapping until their hands were injured because everyone was afraid to be the first to stop?

This is the REAL story of the State of the Union farce. I don't know what Bush said--I'll analyze it later, but I guarantee it was a load of lies and distortions. Cindy was arrested for quietly displaying the truth, and that's now a crime in our Amerikkka. Meanwhile the Criminal in Chief is given full pre-emption coverage for his mere bootless cant! Every conservative, Republican, neocon, and collaborator should hide their heads in shame. Paper bags, boys?

Right-wing Rep's Wife Also "told to leave" Because of 'Support Troops' shirt 01.Feb.2006 13:03

corporate elite scam-ometer

Lawmaker's wife told to leave during Bush speech
Wed Feb 1, 2006 12:38 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The wife of a senior House of Representatives Republican was told to leave the House chamber during President George W. Bush's State of the Union speech for for wearing a shirt bearing words of support for U.S. troops.

"Shame, shame," Rep. Bill Young of Florida said on the House floor on Wednesday, condemning the treatment of his wife Beverly by the U.S. Capitol Police.

"She was ordered to leave the gallery, because she was doing ... what the president said we should all do," Young said. "She had on this shirt. A very conservative shirt, long sleeves, high neck, but it says support our troops."

Also on Tuesday night anti-Iraq war activist Cindy Sheehan was arrested in one of the House galleries before the speech after she refused to cover up an anti-war slogan on her shirt.

Young, who chairs the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, said his wife "supports our troops on every day, every hour," visiting wounded soldiers at military hospitals and helping their families.

Young said a guard at the House chamber called her "a demonstrator and a protester."

Her shirt said "Support the Troops Defending Our Freedom."

A U.S. Capitol Police spokeswoman said the matter was still under investigation, and declined to comment further.

fREEDOM ON THE MARCH? 01.Feb.2006 14:14

LONE VET TENDJOE@AOL.COM

Lone Vet (USN 1962-71)

MSM misinformation 01.Feb.2006 14:26

Madam Hatter

I read in the Oregonian today that Ms. Sheehan was arrested for unfurling an anti-war banner! What a load of bullshit. The leftist blogs all said LAST NIGHT that she was taken out for wearing this T-shirt alone. This is unbelievable. Liberal media my ass.

Opps 01.Feb.2006 14:42

BONICA

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and news services
Updated: 4:34 p.m. ET Feb. 1, 2006

WASHINGTON - Charges against antiwar protester Cindy Sheehan, who was arrested after a scuffle over a T-shirt she wore to the State of the Union address, will be dropped, officials told NBC News Wednesday.

U.S. Capitol Police took Sheehan away in handcuffs and charged her with unlawful conduct, a misdemeanor, when she showed up to President Bush's address Tuesday night wearing a shirt that read, "2245 Dead. How many more?" a reference to the number of soldiers killed in Iraq.

But Capitol Police will ask the U.S. attorney's office to drop the charges, NBC News' Mike Viqueira reported Wednesday.

"We screwed up," a top Capitol Police official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

He said Sheehan didn't violate any rules or laws.

Sheehan, whose son Casey died in Iraq, was not the only one ejected from the House gallery. The wife of a powerful Republican congressman was also asked to leave, but she was not arrested.

Beverly Young, wife of Rep. C.W. Bill Young of Florida chairman of the House Defense Appropriations subcommittee was removed from the gallery because she was wearing a T-shirt that read, "Support the Troops Defending Our Freedom."

The Capitol Police official said officers never should have approached Young.

Criticism from Rep. Young
Holding up the shirt his wife wore, Rep. Young said on the House floor Wednesday morning: "Because she had on a shirt that someone didn't like that said support our troops, she was kicked out of this gallery."

"Shame, shame," he scolded.

Look at the flip side of this crime 01.Feb.2006 21:06

Fredric L. Rice frice@skeptictank.org

The other side of the coin is that the fascist regime allows only loyal Party Members to be in the omni-presence of their fascist Fuhrer cum dictator. Real American citizens are not allowed.

Sounds like any third-world shithole dictatorship.

Sounds like the old Soviet Union.

Certaubly doesn't sound like the old United States where we used to have a Constitutional Republic with a body of laws, Constitutional Rights, a Bill of Rights, and the right to assemble and speak freely.

What Cindy experienced was a fascist dictatorship struggleing to keep only approved and pure Fascist Party Members from getting anywhere near the cameras that surround the Fuhrer -- cameras run from the fascists themselves, in almost all cases.