newswire article commentary global

environment | government

Prove Me Wrong Kids, Prove Me Wrong

There is no hope
There is nothing you can do
Try to enjoy this time of plenty
It will not last
There is no hope.

Humanity is not standing on the edge of the abyss, we are plummeting into it. Every day 6.5 billion of us are consuming that which cannot be replaced and creating that which cannot be consumed. And every day more people are joining the party. Our world is dying.

There is nothing you can do.

Consume less?
Others will consume more.

Waste less?
Have you seen how much plastic covered crap stores sell on a daily basis?

Have less children?
I do not think the world will ever suffer from a shortage of babies.

So what to do while waiting for the inevitable splat?

Relax, have a Brompton cocktail, and try to enjoy this time of plenty. It will not last.

-KH

F.Y.I.
The Federal Governmnet is not becoming fascist, but is fascist, and I suspect fundamentally always has been. I mean there are fasces in the US House of Representatives and on the Lincoln memorial for goodness sakes.
Yep! That pretty much says it all 21.Nov.2005 09:35

Mary

Anything else is basically trying to find a silver linning to a cloud that is bringing a hurricane and we have done this ourselves and have no one to blame but ourselves.

Believe it or Don't 21.Nov.2005 09:53

I think

That it is worse even than that.
We are all soon to be devoured by the beast
Who has currently devoured the light
deflowered our lives
and is destroying all innocence love compassion and beauty
animals I am so sorry
I love you
I always did
Goodbye because Jesus said
Whatever you do to the least of your brothers....
and those are the animals
as we have devoured we will be devoured
Beast

On Your Feet or On Your Face 21.Nov.2005 10:58

Freeman John Farnham

Killian Hope, your analysis maybe right. I personally feel very much as you do. Nevertheless, your prescription of "Eat, Drink and be Merry" has been tried before and found wanting. Throughout history, you can find examples of people that complacently walked into ovens, gas chambers, lines of pikemen and machinegunners sights.

Just because a situation is hopeless, does not give you validation to join the party. Uncle Ted said "The Earth is not dying. It is being murdered. And those responsible have Names and addresses." Prepare yourself to defend what you believe in. Learn unarmed combat skills, learn that you evolved to successfully live on the surface of this planet without modern "convieniences". True, you have been taught to be a weak minded, simpering "human resource" comfortable in your role of working for the benefit of those who already have much more than you'll ever have the chance of getting. It is also true that the forces arrayed are fearsome. Look at what Iraqi Freedom Fighters are doing against our brothers and sisters in arms under the misleadership of our government.

In Russia, in Soviet times and during WWII when they where our allies, volunteers jumped from airplanes **WITHOUT PARACHUTES** to repell an advancing Nazi tank force. The planes were flown low and slow and 12% of those jumping did not survive the landing. But 88% did and the Nazi tanks were destroyed.

Do not go softly into the night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Our society has committed unspeakable wrongs. It may be too late to stop the implosion yet is it ever too late to to bring some self dignity and respect into your life before the candle is snuffed?

join a church then..... 21.Nov.2005 11:12

steve

because your visions of doom are not needed here. What a great example of Christian apocalypse-brainwashing; and what better reason to remain apathetic twoard living and social change. If your so certain of this horrific future that you've been taught through TV and unfortunantly, much of the radical left, why do you even come to Indymedia? why bother about anything?

Yes there are serious issues in the world right now that need to be addressed. To say, however, that all is hopeless, simply gurantees your further marginalization.

this mentality allows one to remain a wage-slave living in an insane world- because why fight if its all hopeless? Bush and his gangsters would love to hear you guys talk like this!!!! KEEP UP THE BITCHIN!

produce more 21.Nov.2005 11:38

frek

how about we start producing more from the waste stream and other sustainable areas.

this is our only hope. we need to be more and more creative with all of the crap us humans are creating.

stop being consumers. start being producers.

-yo

this is just the kind of thinking ... 21.Nov.2005 11:55

Jody Paulson

we need to get over. Well said, Steve.

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall - think of it, always."
-- Mohandas Gandhi

"For us to struggle, the forces being so unequal, must appear insane. But if we consider our opponent's means of strife and our own, it is not our intention to fight that will seem absurd, but that the thing we mean to fight will still exist. They have millions of money and millions of obedient soldiers; we have only one thing, but that is the most powerful thing in the world - Truth." -- Leo Tolstoy

keep the faith and HOPE 21.Nov.2005 12:18

anti-imperialist

Be suspicious of posts like these...they seek to undermine hope (in this case quite explicitly) and might very well be further work of the empire defenders (what a sad lot they are).

Hope 21.Nov.2005 12:33

Pain

Sunshine Daydream. . .

What a great idea, a life spent in 'the waste stream'. Why don't you just become a congressional representative or such? Sounds like the two years I wasted in Portland.

JOY IS NOTHING

unhelpful? maybe 21.Nov.2005 18:13

untrue? that's something else

I don't know about the original author, but I know I'm not an "empire defender."

Whether something "undermines hope" is no proof of its truth or falsehood.

> I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won

That "truth and love" has been the organizing principle of the "winners," the rulers of the world, "all through history" is just transparent nonsense, and a good example of why serious people don't spend a lot of time reading Gandhi.

The real tragedy is people's loss of faith in progress. There was no golden age. Our only opportunity to improve anything may be after the "splat," and good arguments can be made that mathematically most of us can't make it that far.

Hope springs eternal Killian 21.Nov.2005 20:56

Converse Murdoch umlaut@idir.net

I had a neighbor who was being plauged with an impending sense of doom. She went to see a doctor and they found a major aneuryism in her brain. They caught it in time and fixed it. She got better.

Your vision seems entirely subjective and you didn't even bother to include any facts. It's flakey too. Stuff covered with plastic in stores bothers you !? That's not that big of a deal, yet you seem irritated by it and use as evidence for your doomsday scenario.

Also your description of the end as a "splat" seems to indicate that you see death as sudden audible event. It might be your brain trying to tell you something.

What's the harm in getting your brain checked out ?

not on my knees... 21.Nov.2005 21:04

free human being

You might be right Killian Hope, that there is no hope. I personally don't know for sure, but it looks like we, the human race, might not make it for too long. But then again, that might be alright, because there will be hope for the earth and the rest of the surviving species.

One thing is for sure though; I am not going down on my knees. I will continue to try and free myself from the chains of the fascist western ideology and I will continue to free my mind until the last moment. I will not give up and give these bastards the satisfaction of giving in and playing their game. I will resist with all I have. I will die free if I have to. But I will not willingly join the fascist's party. I will not become one of them.

What I found, once I began to free my mind from all the material crap and ideas that have been implanted in my mind, is that I became happier with less. I became free and I actually enjoyed life and everyone around me more. The quality of my life went up, even though I consume far less than I used to. And I know that everything I do might not be enough, but I will continue to follow my heart and my spirit, because they will never take that away from me.

Resist - forever
free human being

there is no hope only if... 21.Nov.2005 22:30

empire slayer

...we are attached to a particular outcome for the future. yes, there is likely to be serious environmental collapse, and mass death of humans and other species, suffering for most, and on and on. but as a free human being, i know that i am not going down without a fight. there might not be much hope on a global scale, but there is a lot of possibility on a local scale. in the northwest--assuming that one of the neocon fuckups don't turn cascadia into a radioactive wasteland--we have a damn good chance of figuring out how to live sustainably ONCE WE ARE FORCED TO. we have water, a climate that is livable year-round without much shelter or heating, an educated population, and abundant natural resources. people in phoenix in the summer, and wisconsin in the winter are not so lucky for example.

humans are at a turning point on this planet, we are either going to figure out how to live sustainably, or go extinct--which would unfortunately take out a whole lot of other species with us. and the farther we are from sustainable, the more painful and violent the adjustment will be. we will either figure it out as a species or be gone, and there is not much we can do about that as individuals on a global scale. but we have a chance to limit the suffering locally, and if we make it through, there will most certainly be a different world on the other side of this.

personally, i hope i just live long enough on this planet to watch it all evolve and participate, riding the waves as they come. i will be gone from this reality soon enough, no need to rush it. and in the meantime, make some damn waves or ride them.
the waves are comin...
the waves are comin...

Brother Match 22.Nov.2005 17:17

Matchless Brother

It started with a little thing, like so much else. Just one match cast off from a careless smoke. It arched and flared, 'til gravity pulled it down, into a pile of junk. Fast-food wrappers impregnated with grease, junk mail, want ads, cardboard trappings from a hundred thousand manufactured needs. And it caught.
It turns a pile of trash into a multicoloured dance of light and heat, a column of gas far cleaner than its fuel. In one careless act, ugliness and waste transformed to art.
The wind plays with it, whirling paper like the leaves its parent tree once produced, and the flame begins to spread.
The next match is cast with more forethought, but still careless, joyous, free, and the strip-mall, all its ugly facades, all the built-up misery of those who waste away at its jobs, behind its coffee-counter and yoghurt machines, its storerooms full of junk, valued only because it has not yet been used, is transformed into a maelstrom of energy and light. Creation and destruction merged, the art of flame. Mother Fire.
The matches continue to fall, to arc and flare, alighting in the dim hours, transforming the encrusted junk of the city into art, and a wild joy courses the veins of the people. These are not their homes alight, these are the boxes that imprison them. This is the incineration of detritus, the excrement of their slavery. The shit they have to buy back after making it. It burns beautifully. The furnace of industry melts its own chains.
Time stops. Clocks are left unwound, time cards go un-punched, church bells ring whenever someone feels the need to swing on the rope. The idiot boxes are silent, the stations that filled them with sweet blinding venom are piles of glowing coals. No one needs time anymore, the world is all a red-tinted dusk. People know the sun will return, the stars still shine. But for now, the flames are enough.
Whole blocks, acres of concrete-cocooned waste vanish skyward, and the people know that the ruins will bloom. The sky hangs blank and grey-black, but nature is resilient, rain will wash the clouds. Fire cleanses.
The artists of Mother Fire own the street, and those that once worked to keep the red-orange liberator and her children caged now can only protect the people and homes, in case the Red Sister escapes the artists chosen canvas.
But the people are not afraid. They are dancing in the wasteland, singing as they sow gardens in the mini-mall ash, laughing at the fools who cringe at the end of The World, making love by the light of flaming towers. The people know what's good for them.
And when there's no trash left to burn, and the ruins are in flower, when years have past since the long fiery dusk, the people will gather sometimes to remember and give thanks, that they, themselves, found the power and the glory at the heart of the simple match.

"Remember", they say, "With one match, and enough forethought, you can remake the world."

There is always hope, if your mad enough to grasp it.

The Winner Is! 27.Nov.2005 20:32

Killian Hope

Of all the comments, this one is the most wonderful. Brain aneurysm...I mean there is no way I could have possibly foreseen that. I was expecting some accusations of suffering from depression, being a mouthpiece for the revolution of lowered expectation, or any number of catch alls to short circuit critical reflection, but brain aneurysm. Wow!

The real beauty of it is that it is an Ad Hominem attack wrapped in the candy shell of helpful advice.

Kudos to Converse Murdoch!

-KH

What's the harm in getting your brain checked out ?

One last thing... 28.Nov.2005 22:38

Killian Hope

I just realized another beautiful thing about Converse Murdoch's comment is that it is also a veiled threat, or at the very least, a blatant curse.
This becomes clearer if it is rewritten as, (and make sure to read it with an appropriate Godfather accent in mind)
"I knew a gal who thought like you, she almost died, but then she got her head strait. You should think about that."

-KH

What's the harm in getting your brain checked out ?