portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article announcements global

indigenous issues | prisons & prisoners

John Grahams extradition appeal is scheduled to begin June 23, 2006 in Vancouver BC

Here is an update regarding indigenous activist, John Graham's fight against illegal extradition to the US. The rotten US has no jurisdiction over a "canadian". Canada has no legal jurisdiction over a native!

Also, I just noticed the posting that was put up last April defending John Trudell, who NYM officially boycotted. For more info, check out this portland imc link, for info + response.  http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/04/315617.shtml
www.grahamdefense.org
 http://users.resist.ca/~wolvesnotsheep/

On December 1, 2003, John Graham, a Tuchone indigenous man, was arrested in Vancouver Canada for suspicion of the 1975-1976 murder of AIM activist Anna Mae Pictou-Aquash. The US is attempting to pin Anna Mae's murder on her own comrades in AIM. Since 1976, the FBI attempted to cast suspicion on AIM playing a role in her murder. Today, the US is claiming that Anna Mae was executed by AIM members John Graham, abetted by Arlo Looking Cloud, with the orders of her execution given by Leonard Peltier, and Dennis Banks, and maybe even Vern Belcourt. There is no physical evidence, and no eye witnesses, and evidence is based on contradicting hearsay gossip, and testimonies by an admitted paid FBI informant. John Grahams extradition to the us was approved by Canada earlier this year. Justice Elizabeth Bennett stated that despite her deep concern regarding the evidence the us presented, that the US/CANADA extradition treaty requires only a positive identification of a suspect. On November 7, 2005, John's extradition appeal was scheduled to begin June 23, 2006. There is a possibility it can be held earlier or later.

Background of Anna Mae's murder, and investigation
Anna Mae Pictou-Aquash body was found in Wanbli, a district in the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Her murder occurred "The Rein of Terror", where Sixty-seven natives were murdered(1973-1975). In most cases the murders remained uninvestigated. Most cases had witnesses pointing fingers at GOONs, a US backed paramilitary group, that was put in place to repress the Lakota Traditionals that were staunchly opposing uranium mining in Pine Ridge. AIM was actively armed in self-defense to assist in protecting families in various districts in Pine Ridge from violent attacks from FBI, GOONs, and other us funded groups like cops.
Until recently, it was widely believed that the people responsible for the murder of Anna Mae was the FBI. Moths before her death, Anna Mae, an AIM leader, went underground. She told her comrades that she was hiding out from FBI agents David Price and Douglas Durham, after receiving death threats. FBI agents were on scene when her body was found, and despite having interrogated her months earlier, left her unidentified. The FBI autopsy gave her cause of death being exposure. They cut off her hands for "fingerprint analysis". When the FBI made her identity public, her family had an independent autopsy performed, and a bullet wound was found in the back of her head.
Nearly 3 decades after the body of Anna Mae Pictou-Aquash was discovered in a ravine near Wanbli South Dakota, 2 native men have recently been co-accused for her murder. Arlo Looking Cloud, and John Graham. The trials of Arlo Looking Cloud, and John Graham aren't based on facts. They're based heavily on a video taped confession given by Arlo Looking Cloud while he was intoxicated (see court transcripts link on Graham Defense website). Arlo Looking Cloud is allegedly a chronic alcoholic and heroin addict, and he has given interviews to the press that he had been visited by FBI for years who plied him with alcohol and drugs in turn for interviews.
It is possible that charges are being laid on John and Arlo due to activities in Peltiers ongoing legal defense. In 1975, Leonard Peltier was illegally extradited from Vancouver BC, and tried and convicted for 1st degree murder of 2 FBI agents. All evidence that extradited and convicted Leonard Peltier has been proven in courts to have been fabricated by the FBI. In 2000, Leonard Peltier parole hearing came up, which he was denied. Later on that year, he was almost granted Clemency by Clinton, and lost due to staunch protest by FBI agents. Since that time, the FBI has worked to keep Leonard Peltier from ever being released. In Arlo Looking Cloud's trial, an admitted paid FBI informant, and former AIM member, Kamook Banks claimed that Leonard Peltier suspected Anna Mae of being a snitch, and attempted to implicate Leonard Peltier as being the AIM leader who gave orders to John Graham to execute Anna Mae Pictou-Aquash.

Ongoing Political Repression of Indigenous Resistance in BC
Lastly, John Graham's current legal struggle reflects the political repression that natives in BC who wish to protect their lands from resource exploitation, have been experiencing. The criminalization of native people who defend their land, and who have been exercising their rights to live on their land has been on the rise since 1995. Most of BC has never been ceded to any colonial government, and the indigenous nations living in BC have full jurisdiction over the lands and resources. BC ranks the 8th in the world for mineral potential, and surprisingly enough, taking into consideration other regions in Canada and the US, BC is very rich in natural resources. The province has plans to carve up the mountains with wall to wall ski resorts by 2010. Currently, there is much indigenous resistance to mining and resort development! The most extreme case being in 1995, when the BC government sent in RCMP(cops), and Canadian military to shoot to kill about 20 natives who had chosen to ignore a trespass notice, and were living within their traditional tribal territories. (Gustafsen Stand-off).
If the us can extradite a native person from the colonial borders of Canada, then the us will be able to extradite any native person in the future. According to Canadian laws, indigenous nations maintain the right to jurisdiction over their lands, resources, and political systems. n

homepage: homepage: http://users.resist.ca/~wolvesnotsheep/

Other perspectives from another comment thread 20.Nov.2005 11:32

Jim Lockhart

Here's a post and commnent thread from August of 2005, concerning this issue.
Open Letter To Green Anarchy Collective

I've also included a link to the Indigenous Women for Justice site, who call for the extradition of John Graham. Their site includes many links to articles on this subject.


Justice is Just Ice 20.Nov.2005 11:46

twospiritwarrior

No Indigenous person anywhere on Mother Earth has
had justice under the Wasicu colonial occupations.

The descendants of the tribes of Europe, now known
as christians, even slaughtered their own relations
in religious rages.

There are still tribal people in Europe who still
know the Old Ways, such as the Sami, Lapps, and
some others. The voices of the Ancients of all
tribes, Turtle Island, Africa, Europe, Hawaii,
Australia, and elsewhere are now speaking to us,
telling us that now is the time for Spiritual
awakening, reminding us who we are as Human Beings,
that is is time for remembering the Original Dream,
and to become Earthwalkers once again.
If you listen with your Spirit you will hear the
Ancient's voices on the wind, or through the
Standing People (Trees), Hehaka, Mato Sapa or Waonze,
or Sunkmanitu Tanka.

The time of the Seventh Fire is here, when we begin
our journey back to the Good Red Road.

The Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island have never
given up their sovereignty, we do not recognize
the Wasicu borders of the colonial empires.
"Canada" & the "United States" have no right to
govern us, and their recent example of cooperation
in extraditing Leonard, and now John, is just one
of many incidents, of how the Great White Father in
Washington or the Great White Mother in England take
care of their "noble red children."

Canadian Indians? American Indians?
What kind of titles are these, except
to describe us as property of the
Wasicu. We are not "Canadian" or
"American".....we are Cree, Lakota,
Chilcotin, Kiowa, Salish........................

Blame it on the Indians. The good civilized christians
has always blamed others for what results come out of
THEIR actions.....Wounded Knee, Sand Creek, Sun Peaks,
Gustafon Lake, among many, many more, and their frantic
religious efforts to continue destroying everything and
covering it over with asphalt, concrete, buildings, houses,
airports, military bases, and so on.

Our resistance to White authority and oppression
will never stop!

Aho - Mitakuye Oyasin
In The Spirit Of Crazy Horse
Blue Midnight Star

so now "descendants of tribes of Europe" are "they"? 21.Nov.2005 02:25

and "indigenous peoples of Turtle Island" are "we"?

Or didn't you write this?

> I am an Earthwalker of mixed European ancestry, and I have been walking
> the Red Road (as best I could), since about ten years of age, for fourty
> years. We will not see it in our physical lifetimes, nor will those of
> the next few generations, but Human Beings will return to living the
> Natural Way. This is the time of the Seventh Fire. The Eighth Fire has not
> yet been lit. The voices of our ancestors are speaking to us, and some
> people are beginning to awaken to the memories of the original dream.
> However, many people will never have an understanding of what it means to
> be a Human Being.

 http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/04/314861.shtml#175145

Yes, descendants of the tribes of Europe. 21.Nov.2005 11:38

twospiritwarrior

so now "descendants of tribes of Europe" are "they"? 21.Nov.2005 02:25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and "indigenous peoples of Turtle Island" are "we"?


Or didn't you write this?

I am an Earthwalker of mixed European ancestry, and I have been walking
the Red Road (as best I could), since about ten years of age, for fourty
years. We will not see it in our physical lifetimes, nor will those of
the next few generations, but Human Beings will return to living the
Natural Way. This is the time of the Seventh Fire. The Eighth Fire has not
yet been lit. The voices of our ancestors are speaking to us, and some
people are beginning to awaken to the memories of the original dream.
However, many people will never have an understanding of what it means to
be a Human Being.

 http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2005/04/314861.shtml#175145

Yes, I did write this. Guilty as charged.
Is there something you are unable to
understand? Your attempt at sarcasm was
not successful.

tsw

nope 23.Nov.2005 00:34

it's all pretty clear

We understand you're misrepresenting yourself as an Indian again.

Who's We? You. 23.Nov.2005 10:15

twospiritwarrior

[Quote]We understand you're misrepresenting yourself as an Indian again.[Quote]

You are totally incapable in understanding anything, it appears.
These will be my last words on this, because there is no point
in having a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

I am not misrepresenting my self as an "Indian". I have never
said that I have Native ancestry....and the fact that I have
European ancestry is moot.
My journey on the Red Road began 41 years ago......and I have a
very good relationship with Native People....and yes, most Native
People find it hard to trust any white person, and I
understand that because I do not trust white people either.
I am honest about who I am as a Human Being, and I am proud to be
an Earthwalker. I am even prouder to be an adopted member of the
Chilcotin Nation, it is an honour which I carry with respect and
pride. I also have a Sister and Brother, who are from the
Secwepemc Nation...and whom I Love and Respect very much.

It is not my skin tone that makes me an "Indian" as you claim,
but rather, what makes me an Earthwalker is my Spirit and my
heart. I walk the Good Red Road as a sincere, honest Human Being.
Unlike white people who have strange ideas, like associating
romance to being Indian....these people should stick to Harlequin.
Or those with tourist mentality, or those who are faddish and
trendish about being an Indian.....or those who lie, or brag about
having Native ancestry because their great, great grandmother, twice
removed, was one-sixteenth Cherokee, or Kiowa, or other Tribal
Name they may use.

I have walked the Red Road for 41 seasons, and I will continue to
walk the Red Road with Honour and Pride until the Circle is
complete.

Aho - Mitakuye Oyasin
In The Spirit Of Crazy Horse
Blue Midnight Star

twospiritwarmonger 23.Nov.2005 19:06

grow up already one of these decades

> The Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island have never
> given up their sovereignty, we do not recognize
> the Wasicu borders of the colonial empires.

You are including yourself, FALSELY, in "The Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island," and now lying about it even when caught with the words on the same page. You are ridiculous.