What is crucial in this stage of the appeal is for you, all my supporters, to write a letter of your own to the minister of justice. I'm asking as many folks as possible to do this in order to show the Canadian government, the US government, the Minister of Justice, and citizens throughout North America and the world that I have tremendous support including overwhelming opposition to my extradition to the United States. |
This letter writing campaign entails a two-pronged strategy. We want to put gentle yet persuasive pressure on the minister to oppose my extradition, and also let him know that these letters are simultaneously being sent to the editors of local newspapers throughout Canada, the USA, and beyond. By doing this, it will not be as easy for the minister to turn a blind eye to the letters concerning my politically motivated extradition if he is cognizant that many voters throughout Canada will be reading these letters in their local newspapers. It will be harder to extradite me if there is published wide-spread outcry about the injustices and persecution I face.
The letter should include:
Once you have sent your letter to the minister, a copy of this letter to my lawyer Tim, and your abbreviated email version to your local newspaper's editor, please send this email to at least two other people who would be willing to do the same. We are aiming for at least 2000 letters to be sent to the minister and local newspapers. This figure is achievable!!! However, it can't be done without you. We are making an effort to tally the numbers of letters sent to the Minister and are planning on posting this to our website: www.trearrow.org. Please, once you have sent your letters, send a quick email to email@example.com and put in the subject line: letter to Minster, and in the body: your name (or initials, if you would rather) and the city you are from. If you would like to include an email copy of your letter, please do so, and we will post some of the letters on the website.
- Please address the letter to the Minister of Justice, Irwin Cotler.
The Honourable Irwin Cotler
Minister of Justice
284 Wellington Street
Canada K1A 0H8
- Please have your letters sent to the Minister, my lawyer Tim, and the editors by November 7th.
- The letter should be hard copy, not email (exception: your letter to the editor can be in email format)
- Please send a hard copy of your full-length letter to my lawyer, Tim Russell, so he has a legal record of who has sent a letter, and it's contents.
c/o McCullough, Parsons, Blazina
2nd floor, 1011 Fort St
Victoria BC V8V 3K5
- Send an abbreviated version of your letter (no more than 400 words so that it is more likely to get published and not edited) to your local newspaper(s) editor. If you reside outside of Canada, please consider sending an additional letter to the editor of a Canadian city or town of your choice;
- Include your name, your occupation, and/or status in the community;
- Include how you know me and/or your relation to me, how long you've known me, your impression of my character, your experience with me, or your knowledge of my involvement in non-violent activism;
- Please let the Minister know that you are a voter, and that you are sending a copy of this letter to your local newspaper's editor;
- Please express your opinion as to why you feel I shouldn't be extradited (that this would be a disgrace to Canadian justice, the fact that the US is trying to sentence me to life imprisonment, that I am declared my innocence, and the only evidence against me are the words of three "witnesses" who exchanged testimony for less than 3.5 year sentences, that I am being targeted and persecuted not because I am guilty but because I have been involved in effective activism that has garnered enormous public support, that I can't get a fair trial because of wide spread media bias, that my diet will not likely be honored, etc...)
- Please be polite and respectful and non-accusatory as we don't want to do anything to jeopardize him being sympathetic to my case.
- Make sure the letter includes your signature.
- Please use tree-free or 100% post consumer recycled paper for your letters and envelopes. The trees, wildlife and rivers thank you!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul for your love, support, and help with this crucial part of my appeal. These letters could be the pivitol factor in achieving my freedom.