Important Info on DU !^%$@!@#
Just in case you're curious about depleted uranium ... "In fact, Iraq, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan are uninhabitable"
Tuesday, August 9, 2005
Depleted uranium is WMD
by Leuren Moret
My grandfather, U.S. Army Col. Edwin Joseph McAllister, was born in Battle
Creek in 1895. He does not know that his first grandchild is an
international expert on depleted uranium. I have worked in two U.S. nuclear
weapons laboratories, and in 1991 I became a whistleblower at the Livermore
lab. Depleted uranium is very, very, very nasty stuff:
- Depleted uranium (DU) weaponry meets the definition of weapon of mass
destruction in two out of three categories under U.S. Federal Code Title 50
Chapter 40 Section 2302.
- DU weaponry violates all international treaties and agreements, Hague and
Geneva war conventions, the 1925 Geneva gas protocol, U.S. laws and U.S.
- Since 1991, the U.S. has released the radioactive atomicity equivalent of
at least 400,000 Nagasaki bombs into the global atmosphere. That is 10
times the amount released during atmospheric testing which was the
equivalent of 40,000 Hiroshima bombs. The U.S. has permanently contaminated
the global atmosphere with radioactive pollution having a half-life of 2.5
- The U.S. has illegally conducted four nuclear wars in Yugoslavia,
Afghanistan and twice in Iraq since 1991, calling DU "conventional" weapons
when in fact they are nuclear weapons.
- DU on the battlefield has three effects on living systems: it is a heavy
metal "chemical" poison, a "radioactive" poison and has a "particulate"
effect due to the very tiny size of the particles that are 0.1 microns and
- The blueprint for DU weaponry is a 1943 Manhattan Project memo to Gen. L.
Groves that recommended development of radioactive materials as poison gas
weapons - dirty bombs, dirty missiles and dirty bullets.
- DU weapons are very effective kinetic energy penetrators, but even more
effective bioweapons since uranium has a strong chemical affinity for
phosphate structures concentrated in DNA.
- DU is the Trojan Horse of nuclear war - it keeps giving and keeps
killing. There is no way to clean it up, and no way to turn it off because
it continues to decay into other radioactive isotopes in over 20 steps.
- Terry Jemison at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs stated in August
2004 that over 518,000 Gulf-era veterans (14-year period) are now on
medical disability, and that 7,039 were wounded on the battlefield in that
same period. Over 500,000 U.S. veterans are homeless.
- In some studies of soldiers who had normal babies before the war, 67
percent of the post-war babies are born with severe birth defects - missing
brains, eyes, organs, legs and arms, and blood diseases.
- In southern Iraq, scientists are reporting five times higher levels of
gamma radiation in the air, which increases the radioactive body burden
daily of inhabitants. In fact, Iraq, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan are
- Cancer starts with one alpha particle under the right conditions. One
gram of DU is the size of a period in this sentence and releases 12,000
alpha particles per second.
Before my grandfather died, he told me that his generation had made a mess
of this planet. I wonder what he would say to me now I would tell him to
see "Beyond Treason" (www.beyondtreason.com), a new documentary about the
history of treason by the U.S. government against our own troops: Atomic
veterans, MK-Ultra, Agent Orange and DU. After Vietnam, Henry Kissinger
said, "Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in
foreign policy. . ." (from Chapter 5 in the "Final Days" by Woodward and
Leuren Moret is an international radiation specialist, with a B.S. degree
in geology from University of California at Davis, a M.A. degree in Near
Eastern studies from University of California at Berkeley and has done
post-graduate work in the geosciences at UC-Davis. She is environmental
commissioner for the City of Berkeley, Calif.
add a comment on this article
add a comment on this article