portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article reposts global

9.11 investigation

The Pentagon knew of some of the terrorist a year before 9/11

Members of 9/11 commission ask whether Pentagon withheld a warning
Did you hear in the corporate media today that the 9/11 Commission found out vital information for an investigation was held by the Pentagon. That information was that some in the Pentagon knew of the terrorists that were planning the 9/11 attacks a year before the attacks. That information was withheld even in the prevention of the attacks.



several articles on todays revelations:


9/11 panel asks if Pentagon withheld suspect warning
By Philip Shenon and Douglas Jehl The New York Times

WASHINGTON Members of the independent commission that investigated the Sept. 11 terror attacks have called on Congress to determine whether the Pentagon withheld intelligence information showing that a secret American military unit had identified Mohamed Atta and three other hijackers as potential threats more than a year before the attacks.

The former commission members said the information, if true, could rewrite an important chapter of the history of the intelligence failures before Sept. 11, 2001.

"I think this is a big deal," said John Lehman, a Republican member of the commission who was navy secretary in the Reagan administration. "The issue is whether there was in fact surveillance before 9/11 of Atta and, if so, why weren't we told about it? Who made the decision not to brief the commission's staff or the commissioners?"

Lehman and other commissioners said that because the panel had been formally disbanded for a year, the investigation would need to be taken up by Congress, possibly by the House and Senate intelligence committees.

Detailed accounts about the findings of the secret operation, known as Able Danger, were offered this week by Representative Curt Weldon, the Pennsylvania Republican who is vice chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, and by a former defense intelligence official.

Their comments were the first assertion by current or former assertion by current or former officials that Atta, an Egyptian who was the lead hijacker, had been identified as a potential terrorist before the attacks.

Spokesmen for the panel members said this week that although the staff was informed by the Pentagon in late 2003 about the existence of a so-called data-mining operation called Able Danger, the panel was never told that it had identified Atta and the others as threats.

In a final report released last summer called the authoritative history of the attacks, the commission of five Democrats and five Republicans made no mention of the secret program or the possibility that a government agency had detected Atta's terrorist activities before Sept. 11.

The Pentagon has had no comment on the credibility of the accounts from Weldon and the intelligence official.

At a news briefing Tuesday, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said he could not comment on reports about Able Danger and said that he knew nothing about such an operation. "I can't," he said. "I have no idea. I've never heard of it until this morning. I understand our folks are trying to look into it."

A spokesman for the Pentagon, Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Conway, said later that "there were a number of intelligence operations prior to the attacks of 9/11" but that "it would be irresponsible for us to provide details in a way in which those who wish to do us harm would find beneficial."

Weldon went public with his information after talking with members of the unit in his research for a new book on terrorism. He said by telephone Tuesday that he had spoken with three team members, all still working in the government, including two in the military, and that they were consistent in asserting that Atta's affiliation with a Qaeda terrorism cell in the United States was known in the Defense Department by mid-2000 and was not acted on.

An outspoken member of Congress on military and intelligence questions, Weldon, a champion of data mining efforts like Able Danger, has helped arrange interviews for reporters with the former military intelligence official.

a and, if so, why weren't we told about it? Who made the decision not to brief the commission's staff or the commissioners?"

Lehman and other commissioners said that because the panel had been formally disbanded for a year, the investigation would need to be taken up by Congress, possibly by the House and Senate intelligence committees.

Detailed accounts about the findings of the secret operation, known as Able Danger, were offered this week by Representative Curt Weldon, the Pennsylvania Republican who is vice chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, and by a former defense intelligence official.

Their comments were the first assertion by current or former officials that Atta, an Egyptian who was the lead hijacker, had been identified as a potential terrorist before the attacks.

Spokesmen for the panel members said this week that although the staff was informed by the Pentagon in late 2003 about the existence of a so-called data-mining operation called Able Danger, the panel was never told that it had identified Atta and the others as threats.

In a final report released last summer called the authoritative history of the attacks, the commission of five Democrats and five Republicans made no mention of the secret program or the possibility that a government agency had detected Atta's terrorist activities before Sept. 11.

The Pentagon has had no comment on the credibility of the accounts from Weldon and the intelligence official.

At a news briefing Tuesday, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said he could not comment on reports about Able Danger and said that he knew nothing about such an operation. "I can't," he said. "I have no idea. I've never heard of it until this morning. I understand our folks are trying to look into it."

A spokesman for the Pentagon, Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Conway, said later that "there were a number of intelligence operations prior to the attacks of 9/11" but that "it would be irresponsible for us to provide details in a way in which those who wish to do us harm would find beneficial."

Weldon went public with his information after talking with members of the unit in his research for a new book on terrorism. He said by telephone Tuesday that he had spoken with three team members, all still working in the government, including two in the military, and that they were consistent in asserting that Atta's affiliation with a Qaeda terrorism cell in the United States was known in the Defense Department by mid-2000 and was not acted on.

An outspoken member of Congress on military and intelligence questions, Weldon, a champion of data mining efforts like Able Danger, has helped arrange interviews for reporters with the former military intelligence official. The official insisted on anonymity, saying he did not want to jeopardiz political support for future data mining in the military.

The official said in an interview Monday that the Able Danger team was created in 1999 under a directive signed by General Hugh Shelton, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to assemble information about Qaeda networks around the world.

He said that by the middle of 2000 the operation had identified Atta and three of the other future hijackers as members of an American-based cell and that the information was presented that summer in a chart to the Pentagon's Special Operations Command headquarters in Tampa, Florida.

 http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/08/10/news/intel.php

____

9/11 hijackers known to "Able Danger" unit before "attack"
(10.08.2005)

Curt Weldon, a Pennsylvania Republican, is claiming that a unit known as "Able Danger" identified four of the 9/11 hijackers in 1999.

Some of the members of the now-disbanded 9/11 commission are keen to know whether U.S. defense intelligence officials knew that four of the hijackers were part of an "Al Qaeda" cell, more than a year before the "attack", and failed to pass on this information. Former co-chairman of the 9/11 commission, Lee Hamilton, said that a statement on this could be issued by the end of the week.

The four hijackers allegedly identified by the "Able Danger" unit include Mohammed Atta (ringleader), Marwan al-Shehhi, Khalid al-Mihdar and Nawaf al-Hazmi.

Initial reactions to the claims have been fairly low key and it is most unlikely that any new investigation will take place. We expect the official response to say that there is insufficient evidence to warrant any inquiry.

Of course, one must believe that these "hijackers" had the intelligence to carry out such a difficult "attack" in the first place, to determine whether their earlier capture would have made any difference. The group of "Al-Qaeda" terrorists alledgedly responsible for carrying out the 9/11 "attack" did not have the capabilities of doing this without inside help.

However, some choose to still believe the government version of events and this blind trust in a government that has done absolutely nothing for them or their country may never change.

We will continue to highlight these criminals once the new 9/11 has taken place (this may well be on the 11th of September as well). Hopefully, this future "attack" will persuade those who have any remaining doubts.

 http://www.profindpages.com/news/2005/08/10/MN1099.htm
'Atta's terrorist activities before Sept. 11. ' 10.Aug.2005 21:11

Sheepdog

Maybe the secure military bases they trained at would have been a clue.
Come on. This was a long planned project since the failed 1993 'attack' the FBI committed to bring down the WCT tower.

now you know this one in advance -what are you gonna do? 10.Aug.2005 21:26

tree

Four Star General Fired For Organizing Coup Against Neo-Cons?
Reporter suggests Brynes discovered plan to turn nuke exercise into staged terror attack

Paul Joseph Watson & Alex Jones | August 10 2005

The head of Fort Monroe's Training and Doctrine Command, four star general Kevin P. Byrnes, was fired Tuesday apparently for sexual misconduct according to official sources.

Other sources however have offered a different explanation for Byrnes' dismissal which ties in with the Bush administration's unpopular plan to attack Iran and the staged nuclear attack in the US which would provide the pretext to do so.

According to reporter Greg Szymanski, anonymous military sources said that Brynes was the leader of a faction that was preparing to instigate a coup against the neo-con hawks in an attempt to prevent further global conflict.

Indications are that, much like popular opinion amongst the general public, half the military oppose the neo-con's agenda and half support it.

Further revelations were imparted by journalist Leland Lehrman who appeared today on The Alex Jones Show.

Lehrman's army sources, including a former Captain in intelligence, became outraged when they learned that the official story behind 9/11 was impossible.

They told Lehrman that the imminent Northcom nuclear terror exercise based in Charleston, S.C, where a nuclear warhead is smuggled off a ship and detonated, was originally intended to 'go live' - as in the drill would be used as the cover for a real false flag staged attack.

This website has relentlessly discussed similar style drills which took place on the morning of 9/11 and on the morning of 7/7 in London.

"Speculation exists that he had potentially discovered the fact that it was gonna go live and that he was trying to put a stop to it or also speculation indicates that he may be part of a military coup designed to prevent the ridiculous idea of doing a nuclear war with Iran, " said Lehrman.



Lehrman said that other sources had told him all army leave had been cancelled from September 7th onwards, opening the possibility for war to be declared within that time frame.

Northcom officials also admitted to Lehrman that CNN had been using its situation room as a studio.

Earlier this week, Washington Post reported that the Pentagon has developed its first ever war plans for operations within the continental United States, in which terrorist attacks would be used as the justification for imposing martial law on cities, regions or the entire country.

American Conservative Magazine recently reported that Dick Cheney had given orders to immediately invade Iran after the next terror attack in the US, even if there was no evidence Iran was involved.

Government and media mouthpieces have been fearmongering for weeks about how a nuclear attack within the US is imminent.

Now would be the most opportune time for the Globalists to stage a major attack, as it would head off any potential indictments against the Bush administration for their involvement in illegally outing CIA agent Valerie Plame.

While rumors circulating about indictments having already taken place against Bush and Cheney should rightly be treated very carefully, the fact that there is an ongoing criminal investigation into the matter is something that's admitted and shouldn't be viewed as speculation.

hmmm 10.Aug.2005 22:00

anti-imperialist

Looks like the powers-that-are are feeling the heat of the growing 9-11 truth movement. Notice how carefully the story is being tread on the mainstream media, scarcely implying David Griffin's now-famous "3rd group" of people's opinion of who believe gov't foreknowledge of the attack, which is essentially back-peddling for the sake of damage-control. They know the Truth movement exists and is gaining steam.

 http://www.septembereleventh.org

tree 10.Aug.2005 23:56

nova albion

tree do you have a link to that story

wsws.org 11.Aug.2005 04:32

spider

The only place that you can read the full story is
at wsws.org the World Socialist Website.