newswire article commentary oregon & cascadia

government | health | social services

Dialogue with state rep. re human services cuts

An exchange of emails with state Rep. Paul Holvey. Contact state legislators at  http://www.leg.state.or.us/writelegsltr/writeset.htm
Paul,

From news accounts I've gathered that the reason you are "forced to vote on budgets with cuts included" is that your Democrat leaders in the state Senate are agreeing to them. I figure that also makes Senate Democrats responsible for what their leaders are doing. Behind closed doors. I would never trust Kate Brown, as she has lied to us before about blocking cuts to the Oregon Health Plan.

It seems to me that the only option of House Democrats is simply to vote against budget bills with cuts to human services. That would send a message back to Senate Democrat leaders that they don't have the confidence of their party.

Otherwise, I feel that my only option as a voter is to refuse to vote for anyone for state offices. I'm on OHP-Plus, and I'm not going to vote to cut my own throat.

Lynn

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rep Holvey" < Holvey.Rep@state.or.us>
To: "Lynn Porter" < lporter@efn.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:05 AM
Subject: RE: Too many Oregonians being left behind

Lynn,

Most Democrats do not support these cuts, but we are forced to vote on
budgets with cuts included and we have been refused hearings on bills to
raise the revenues necessary to stop the cuts. I will continue to work
towards finding solutions to our revenue shortfalls.

Thank you for your feedback.

Respectfully,

Paul Holvey
State Representative
District 8

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynn Porter [mailto: lporter@efn.org]
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 6:21 PM
To: Rep Holvey
Subject: Re: Too many Oregonians being left behind

Rep. Holvey,

Thank you for voting against the Department of Human
Services budget. I hope you will also vote against the
final state budget if it includes cuts to the Oregon Health Plan and
other safety net programs.

I suggest including comments on these cuts in your next
email newsletter. I've gotten the impression from news articles that
Democrats in the state legislature approve of these cuts. I know that
cuts in OHP-Plus benefits -- vision and dental -- were included in Gov.
Kulongoski's proposed budget. I am disappointed in his performance and
hope he will not be reelected. He appears to have deserted his base, as
have so many other Democrats in recent years.

Lynn Porter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rep Holvey" < Holvey.Rep@state.or.us>
To: "Lynn Porter" < lporter@efn.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:54 PM
Subject: RE: Too many Oregonians being left behind

Lynn,

I did vote against the Department of Human Services budget because I
felt that it was inadequate in multiple areas. I will continue to
advocate for appropriate funding for these essential services.

Thank you for your feedback.

Respectfully,

Representative Paul Holvey

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynn Porter [mailto: lporter@efn.org]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 9:23 PM
To: Rep Holvey
Subject: Re: Too many Oregonians being left behind

Rep. Holvey,

I would like you to vote against any budget that includes cutting vision
and dental from OHP-Plus. I believe such cuts would be morally
indefensible and I cannot support any legislator who votes for them. I
would rather see state government grind to a halt for a while than adopt
such a budget. It is time to take a stand.

Lynn Porter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rep Holvey" < Holvey.Rep@state.or.us>
To: < lporter@efn.org>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 10:17 AM
Subject: RE: Too many Oregonians being left behind

Lynn,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my legislative
office with your concerns about the 10-cent tobacco tax and HB 2048.

The effects of tobacco costs Oregon millions of dollars annually; it is
fair that revenue collected from tobacco sales be allocated toward
dedicated revenues to fund vital health care for low-income Oregonians.

If this issue should come before me on the floor, I will support
restoring the 10-cent tax. I appreciate your concern, and please let me
know how I can continue to support your efforts.

Respectfully,

[Form letter sent from Oregonians for Health Security website.]

Representative Paul Holvey
H-495 State Capitol
900 Court Street Northeast
Salem, OR 97301-4042

Dear Representative Holvey,

Too many Oregonians who need health care are being left behind in the
proposed budget.

Cutting vision and dental care for the 123,000 people on the Oregon
Health Plan and closing OHP-Standard to new patients is wrong.

Restoring the 10-cent tobacco tax, inadvertingly eliminated with the
failure of Measure 30, will provide funds necessary for vital health
care services. Do the right thing!

For the last ten years, every legislature has renewed the ten-cent
tobacco tax. By not doing so you are walking away from $42 million in
federal matching funds vitally needed for the health of Oregonians. I
urge you not to be irresponsible by denying resources needed to improve
the health of Oregonians.

Don't leave Oregonians behind in an effort to cut a deal and get out of
the building. Stand up for us by restoring the ten-cent tobacco tax to
fund vital health care services.

Sincerely,
Lynn Porter
No Potatos left 19.Jul.2005 23:05

William

The rich have decided that those of us with fewer potatoes must give some ofours away to balance the budget. Why? Because those with millions of potatoes have money to contribute to campagin funds to keep their potato stealin' friends in power.

There are many crimes. I say that it is criminal that any one that lives with millions of dollars and chooses not ensure that no one with 10 miles is starving or does not have a safe place to live and can see a doctor when they need one.

We are not seperate. Thousands of minimum wage workers make the goods and services possible for the rich to flourish. If the rich chose to flourish a bit less then others of us will not be plowed under and foregotten.

The plotiticans who don't get this must be voted out! (them's scurvey dogs they be!)