newswire article announcements oregon & cascadia

forest defense | save the biscuit

Calls needed- Demand public access to the Biscuit. End the closure now!

> Please call District Ranger Pam Bode today and ask her for her justification for denying the public the right to access the Illinois River and the Fiddler timber sale area now that logging is finished and the closure is supposed to be lifted. Her cell phone is 659-4661.
> Following weeks of planning for a statewide convergence to witness and document the Fiddler timber sale on the day the federal closure order was to be lifted, District Ranger Pam Bode has recommended that the closure be extended for another month.
> Then today, the day before the Back to the WALL event, she has denied a permit request from a lifelong local to enter the area and bring local and national media groups on a tour of the logged areas. The closure is considered by many legal experts to be an unconstitutional violation of the rights of the American public, and its legality is currently being challenged in federal court. Meanwhile, they are arbitrarily extending the lockout of one the most popular swimming areas on the Illinois River during the height of the summer recreation season.
> Pam needs to know that the public is upset and is demanding an explanation for this extreme action on her part.
> Other numbers to call:
> Pam Bode, District Ranger Two Rivers Zone
> Illinois Valley RD 541-592-4001 (fax 541-592-4010)
> Galice RD 541-471-6721
> cell 541-659-4661
> Take action for Ashland and spread the word!
> Forward this Ashland Community Action announcement to a friend.
> If you have received this email as a forward, subscribe by visiting  link to lists.riseup.net.
Pam is swamped start calling Scott Conroy 01.Jul.2005 15:50

jjj

CALL Scott Conroy

Pam has allready stated that she made the recomendation and Scott signed it into effect

Let him know that closing the national forest to the public to try and hide or clean-up the mess they allowed is NOT acceptable!

Scott Conroy, Supervisor
Siskiyou & Rogue River National Forests
PO Box 520
Medford, Oregon 97501
Phone (541) 858-2200
Fax (541) 858-2205

forget Pam, she knows she screwed up 01.Jul.2005 16:16

get things changed...call a senator!

Call Senator Smith and Wyden

Tell them Scott Conroy has oversteped his bounds!

FIRST he engineered a lopsided industry paid bough, non-peer reviewed opinion piece to be faubed off to the national FS as an academic paper calling for industrial logging from HELL, effectively creating this mess,

THEN he fast-tracked the public comments on a 600 pg plan to log the Siskyous off the map and made the comment period right over the Christmas holidays so no-one

THEN he locked the public out of the forest so that no effect oversight and or monitoring of timber theft or fraud could occur,

NOW he is ILLEGALY locking the public out of the forest so that no one can see the mess he has made of OUR FORRESTS!

Call the Senators and Demand that Scott Conroy be removed from his position! He is violating the law to cover his ass for what he has done to our forrests!

Senator Gordon Smith
One World Trade Center
121 SW Salmon St., Suite 1250
Phone (503) 326-3386
Fax: (503)326-2900
Washington: (202) 224-3753

Senator Ron Wyden
Washington, DC
(202) 224-5244

event sponsors were flexible, pam and Scott denied anyway! 01.Jul.2005 16:32

mole hole

Here is the jist of the 3 different denials Pam and Scott gave for why they thought folks shouldn't be allowed to cross the green bridge:

1. The purpose of the event appears to be recreational, the closure order does not allow for recreation

2. The road is not suitable for a bus, any bus, even if it has high clearance

3. We heard that the event is a reunion for folks arrested for violating the closure order, those people need to be escorted by FS employees to make sure they don't bother the trucks hauling the logs, I cant get a FS officer for escort with a days notice

4. You could visit Flattop or Breakcedar timber sales instead

5. I have a policy of no news media without a media relations escort and I can't get one on friday before a holiday weekend, you'll have to tell me one week in advance.

6. I heard from my media relations officer (today, friday) that there is a guy in your group who works for a magazine, so see above

7. Even though you want to enter the general area after 3pm when haul trucks are done, you will be there when yarding (log dragging) might still be occuring, so I need to have a FS officer to escort you to make sure no one gets hurt, and I can't do that with less than 72 hours notice

8. Even though you say you will make every one promise not to interfere with logging operations and keep previously arrested folks out of the sale, I don't have time to find an officer to go out there and double check you by checking everyones ID.

copies of the denail letters 01.Jul.2005 17:28

tarragon

# 1

Dear Janet:
This letter documents my denial of your application for a Group Event at the Green Bridge and the Fiddler Timber Sale area.
The closure order (Order No. RSF-065) was issued to protect public health and safety and property. Per 36 CFR 261.50(e), your request to enter the closure area does not meet the requirements to issue a permit. The event appears to be recreational in nature (picnicking and sightseeing). I have denied all gate permit applications for recreation use to this date. Access within the closed area has been limited to private landowners, miners, timber company employees and contractors, people who are operating a business, educational institutions, people with research permits, and approved timber sale monitors.
In addition, the event is planned during the time that log trucks are expected to be hauling. Approximately 40-50 trips per day are occurring. Mixing buses and/or a large number of vehicles and log truck traffic on this road would be hazardous. A large group of people standing on the bridge and milling around in the area of the bridge would create a hazard during log hauling.
Off road parking is limited and per the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 36 CFR 261.10(f), parking on or partially blocking roads is prohibited.
The event is advertised as a reunion for people who have been previously arrested for blocking the logging operation at the Green Bridge. I will not allow unescorted access into the closed area for people who have been previously arrested for interfering with official Government business at the very site where they were arrested. It is difficult for me to reassign an employee to escort this group with such short notice on a holiday weekend.
Although you and others have expressed to me that it is not your intent to block the road or perform an illegal act, I remain concerned. I am concerned that people who you do not control could enter with you and take the opportunity of an unregulated entry into this area to gain access to the sale area and vandalize equipment or set up camp within the sale area with intent to impede operations.
If the event is tied to the Fiddler Timber Sale, I suggest that this event be planned to occur after the closure is rescinded. I expect harvest operation to be substantially completed in August 2005.
You may contact me at 541-592-4001 to apply for a Non-Commercial Group Use permit for another site or for this site on another date.

Sincerely,

PAMELA W. BODE

#2 with application e-mail at the bottom
6/30/05

Laurel:

I am denying your permit application. I am enclosing a copy of the letter that I wrote to Janet Walker denying the permit application that she submitted, which is very similar to yours. The reasons for my denial for your and Janet's applications for the activities planned at the Green Bridge are the same. My recommendations for an alternate place or time are included in Janet's letter and apply to your application as well.

Your application varied from Janet's in that, after the picnic at the Green Bridge, instead of transporting all of the event participants to the sale area, you propose to visit the sale area with a group of about 10 people. My reason for denying your application to visit the timber sale units is that I have a policy, as described on the gate permit application, that states that all news media trips into the sale area will be escorted by a Forest Service media specialist. At this short notice (less than 24 hours on the day before a holiday weekend), I do not have a Forest Service employee available to fulfill this requirement.

If the news media is truly interested in visiting the sale area with you before the sale is completed, please resubmit your application with at least one week's lead time so that I can request the assistance of a media escort from the Supervisor's office public relations staff. It is safest to travel on the road after 3 PM on weekdays or at any time on weekends. Road reconstruction work often is planned for Saturdays to avoid haul traffic, so Sunday is the best day to visit the sale area unless you are interested in seeing logging equipment in action.

This has been a very difficult week. I know that I have made recommendations and decisions that you do not agree with and believe are misguided. I appreciate the professionalism that you and many others have displayed while we try to continue to communicate through this disagreement.

Pam Bode, District Ranger Two Rivers Zone
Illinois Valley RD 541-592-4001 (fax 541-592-4010)
Galice RD 541-471-6721
cell 541-659-4661
Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest, R-6

laurel < laurel@o2collective.org>
06/30/2005 04:08 PM

To
Pam Bode < pbode@fs.fed.us>
cc

Subject
permit application

Pam-

I am requesting an expedited permit to enter the Forest Service Road
Closure area on Eight Dollar road on July 1st at 12:30 pm with a group
of people that may range from 50 to 100. We would like to assemble for
an educational free speech gathering at the Green Bridge over the
Illinois River, as well as swim in the river and eat lunch. We will be
discussing fire ecology, policy and forest management issues such as
salvage logging and would like to be within the area of the Biscuit
Burn to do so.

I am also requesting to bring a small group of media representatives
into the area of the Fiddler timber sale to show them the on the ground
effects of logging within units of the sale. This group would include
around 6 journalists and 3 or 4 spokespeople. Because of deadline
constraints for the local TV stations, this brief, escorted tour would
need to take place during hauling operations, between 1pm and 2pm.

People are arriving from around the state to see for themselves the
effects of salvage logging and would like to see the units for
themselves. If you are deeply concerned about safety issues we can wait
until 2:30 or 3:00 pm, when hauling operations will have stopped, to
bring the larger group up the road. We will be leaving before dark, and
can arrange a more specific time of departure if that is necessary for
your purposes.

My legal name is Mac Sutherlin.

Thank you and please reply as soon as humanly possible.

For the forests, Laurel

#3

Dear Tim:
This letter documents my denial of your application for a Group Event in the Fiddler Timber Sale area.
At about 11:30 on July 1, 2005, you called and submitted a verbal application to visit the Fiddler Timber Sale area the same afternoon with a group of 60 to 70 people. You stated that there would be between 4 and 10 vehicles, depending on whether or not the small school bus could access the sale area. You said that the people would like to view the harvested areas and take photographs. Rather than staying in one large group, the people would disperse and visit sites individually, however you were flexible about this action. You said that you did not expect news media to attend the event and that you would ask each participant to pledge that no civil disobediance would occur during or as the result of this site visit. You asked for entrance to the closed area from 2:30 to 6:00 PM, expecting that log hauling would be completed and that safety concerns would be mitigated during those hours of the day.
The closure order (Order No. RSF-065) was issued to protect public health and safety and property. Per 36 CFR 251.54 (g)(2)(iv) and 36 CFR 251.54 (g)(3)(ii)(F), your request to enter the closure area does not meet the requirements to issue a noncommercial group use permit. Your application was filed 3 hours before the planned event, and I believe it poses a substantial risk to public safety.
I am sending you this written reply to document my verbal denial given at 12:30 on July 1, 2005 in a telephone conversation with Laurel Sutherlin, who answered the cell phone number that you provided to me. As described here, I am denying your application for several reasons, but the primary reason is that I am unable to provide a Forest Service employee escort to mitigate the expected substantial risk to public safety because of short notice on the day before a holiday weekend.
The road to the area is not suitable for bus traffic at this time. The paved road surface is in disrepair and is thus, a safety concern. Although Laurel assured me that the bus is high clearance and could easily maneuver on damaged roads, I remain unconvinced that school bus would be suitable transportation for your group. I realize that you could transport the people in other vehicles, therefore please continue to read the remaining concerns.
Although hauling is completed by about 3:00 PM on weekdays, yarding of felled timber often continues later in the day. People walking through active harvest units to view the results of harvest would interrupt logging operations and put themselves and timber workers in danger. Without a Forest Service escort, I could not be certain that people would stay clear of the active logging units.
The event is advertised as a reunion for people who have been previously arrested for blocking the logging operation at the Green Bridge. I will not allow unescorted access into the closed area for people who have been previously arrested for interfering with official Government business at the very site where they were arrested. In my telephone conversation with Laurel, he said that he was willing to leave the previously arrested people out of the permitted group. I have no employee available to check ID at the closure gate to ensure that this occurs.
I have a policy, as described on the gate permit application form, that all news media trips into the sale area will be escorted by a Forest Service media specialist. Although you told me that there is no news media with you and you do not expect any media to attend the event, Patty Burel (Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest public affairs officer) told me that Christopher LaMarca is with your group. Mr. LaMarca gave the Forest Service a letter of reference from Newsweek Magazine this morning at the protest that occurred at the Forest Supervisor's office in Medford. Mr. La Marca represented himself as a media representative.
If this event is tied to this weekend and is about witnessing Biscuit logging in general, two Biscuit timber sales near Fiddler are substantially complete and are available as alternate sites for your event. These sales include Flattop and Briggs-Cedar. A noncommercial group use permit is not needed if your group is smaller than 75 people.
You may contact me at 541-592-4001 to apply for a non-commercial group use permit for this or another site on another date. You are required to submit your application at least 72 hours in advance notice of your planned activity.

Sincerely,

PAMELA W. BODE

why paly their game 05.Jul.2005 19:36

garble flab

damn the closure full protest and direct action ahead. quit bickering about rules and procedures and act. it is rules and procedure that they use to keep anything useful from occuring.
don't play thier game.

closure order 05.Jul.2005 19:37

hello crack pipe

A closure order is only so many words on paper and paper is dead trees.

You're only given permission when it doesn't bother them ... 06.Jul.2005 23:49

Nagasaki

You're only given permission to arrange a protest/event when what you are doing doesn't bother them and they only refuse permission when they are scared shitless of what you are doing.

Guess what? They're scared.

If you just do it, what are they going to do to you? Send the police in to make a few arrests?

They already send in the police and make arrests at protests in the Biscuit and they will continue to do so, so why follow their bullshit procedures if the outcome is going to be the same in the end, anyway?

? 29.Nov.2006 14:26

Scott Conroy horo_horo27@yahoo.com

can someone tell me what this is and why its such a bad thing. i found this googling my name which also happens to be Scott Conroy, but im 16 years old living in Conneticut so i dont think its me ^^; but anyway i somewhart feel bad that someone is sullying my name, son informatuion would be nice i guess.