newswire article commentary oregon & cascadia

actions & protests | education | imperialism & war

Salem Flag Cult Targets Kids

I pledge allegiance to the flag and the dollar of the United States Military Empire, and to the system of imperialism, exploitation and oppression for which they stand, one oligarchy, one priesthood, one security force over all, holding in bondage all lands, all people, all of nature as mere commodities to be used and discarded at will, with alienation, slavery, betrayal, corruption, hatred and fear for all.
One might have thought that the great social tyranny of the government in Washington D.C. did not extend too deeply into Oregon's political life. However this is only an illusion. The Oregon House of Representative has passed a bill requiring the recitation of the "Pledge of Allegiance" by students in public schools every day.

These corporate quisling republicans and quibbling liberals, who base their political careers on selling themselves to the highest bidders and addressing the people with meaningless slogans and sound bites, have the nerve to command us as to what, and in what manner, we shall devote our lives.

This is not a trivial matter. It is as if they had passed a proclamation supporting cannibalism, or enacted mandatory inoculation of all children with methamphetamines. It is an evil action.

Some of the reasons it is so wrong:

1) The "Pledge of Allegiance" is blatant idolatry. Idolatry is the offering of one's soul, one's free will, one's ability to choose, to an object, in this case a piece of cloth, in order to remove the burdens of making difficult decisions and facing life's challenges openly. Idolatry is an essential feature of American materialistic culture, which will bow down before any new convenience or product.

2) Much more than a symbol for a form of government or a nation, the flag is the banner and martial standard of the United States Military, a world-wide institution that guarantees by threats of violence primarily, but occasionally by brutal destruction and genocide, the perpetuation of the oppression of the people and the desecration of the earth. To pledge allegiance to such a thing is an antisocial act of betrayal against us, and against oneself.

3) This flag divides people. Though the pledge ends with the words, "for all", this is a lie. The actual pledge is to this one nation, this one republic, in separation from all others and all else. It is a chant of self-importance, superiority and enmity.

4) To put this flag before our children, to put these vile words in their mouths every day is an attempt to make them follow the evil path of idolatry, intimidation by violence and bigotry toward people of other lands. It is a corruption and a poison in their hearts.

5) Most of all, this bill by the foolish and cowardly men and women of the Oregon House is itself a brutal act of intimidation against our children. The essential lesson of the "Pledge of Allegiance" is that, "You, child, are a slave. Try to speak out against the tyranny of this system, and we will crush you like a foreigner, like an AWOL soldier, like a draft-dodger, like the whistle-blowers who lost their careers, like the unionists who were murdered, like the disappeared of Latin America, like Jesus Christ, like the Children of Falluja. Go ahead; pledge allegiance; your free will isn't worth much anyway."

This is what the "Pledge of Allegiance" really says:

with alienation, slavery, betrayal, corruption, hatred and fear for all.

Perhaps we should respond to this with a pledge of our own, because we have the ability to perceive, to think, to decide for ourselves what is important and worthy of allegiance in this world. It really does matter what we say; it really means something when we place our hand over our heart.

For example:

I pledge allegiance to the real earth, her living systems and all the people who dwell within her bower - not to any person's image, idol, song, theory, ideology or conception of her,
and to our true hopes for a just and abundant world community that protects all that is of value, and honors and exalts all creatures and all people,
one land, one people, one earth indivisible,
with liberty, justice, equality, fulfillment, righteousness and love for all.

How about a sixth reason ... 21.Apr.2005 21:41

~

Look familiar?

Visit www.RexCurry.net for details.

who are the nut-jobber's behind this silliness? 21.Apr.2005 21:44

smart citizen

was it that silly Karen Minnis and her even sillier husband John? Minnis's--take a hike!

shit 21.Apr.2005 21:47

~

damn bitmaps ...
Pre Nazi-Salute
Pre Nazi-Salute

More 21.Apr.2005 21:52

anti-everything

Here's another, nicked from the web.

more about pledge at this great article 21.Apr.2005 22:59

surfer

"UNDER GOD" AND OTHER
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

... 22.Apr.2005 04:01

...

Mr. Curry's obviously done some good research on early fascism, America, and the Pledge of Allegiance, but it's too bad he feels compelled to deface his photographs with obsessive laissez-faire propaganda. "My grandpa was the first capitalist in Florida!" or some shit. "Stalin killed 50 billion people!" WHATEVER. These photos don't seem to be available anywhere else.

Yesterdays,Today and Tomorrows... 22.Apr.2005 05:43

Zippo

Hi y'all,

I have similar contentions with the imposed recitation of the United States of America Pledge of Allegiance. It would have been nice to have posted the actual rhetoric, I believe and however, so that with a side-by-side comparison people can more readily make up their own minds.

After all, what does recitation of such rhetoric actually say but the giving of ones own mind to ... rhetoric.

Here's the actual 1954 edition of "the pledge of allegiance"-

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

reaching for the star 22.Apr.2005 07:37

stingybrim

is that a starbucks insignia on the flag?

You ought to question schooling as a.... 22.Apr.2005 07:46

B

tool for propoganda.

Most parents in the US get up every day and after feeding their children, send them off to gov't run indoctrination centers for compulsory schooling. Here they learn what the govenrment thinks is important taught by well-meaning teachers who were brought up in the same system. No one ever questions the goals of the system (purported to be the education of children. The real goal is to make them worker-bees who don't question authority of the social structure that leaves 90% of the wealth in 10% of the hands. In schools it is taught that this is hwo things should be.

I recommend John Talor Gatto's book "A different kind of teacher" to learn more. Mr. Gatto was 1991 NY City and State School Teacher of the year just before quiting that ghastly job of destroying children.

Check out his website.

As long as the "vulgus profanum" believe that 9/11 was unprovoked... 22.Apr.2005 08:29

Pravda or Consequences

they will think that "you are either with us, or against us". And they have no problem with military recruiting in public schools and "taking the pledge" every day.

I offer an alternative pledge: Dear God, as I make a difference, let me do no harm.

. 22.Apr.2005 09:13

Working Class Mama

I just had to sit with my son through the pledge. When I was a child I did not participate for religious reasons and now my son does not particpate for political and moral reasons. It is hard for a child to not want to participate in something that all of their class mates are doing. Even if they were eating slugs or any other such disgusting behavior. It's embarrassing to have the others staring and wondering why. I think the authors/enforcers of the pledge understood the power this ritual contains. Even though I didn't participate, I still have the chant engraved in my brain. My solution to this is to sit with him so he is not alone and exchange funny faces and smiles as we sit with our backs to the flag. This seems to help. But this was only one day a week and works out to be a day when I have the time to hang out with him at his school. With the passage of the bill the rest of the week he will be on his own. I respect his ability to make his own decisions, but at the same time, what can I expect when he's being brainwashed through repetition and peer pressure?
It feels very strange and wrong. All of this upsurgence of nationalism which is the cornerstone of nazi doctrine. As the escape routes are being sealed off quietly one by one. I worry about my child's future and if there will be one.

If you have the courage 22.Apr.2005 10:58

to look

behind the red, white, and blue curtain, what wizard pulling levers will you find when you look behind that old rag known as the "Pledge of Allegiance"? In a word, it is Popery: simply change the line "One nation, under God" to "One, Catholic, Apostolic Church". One world government, one world religion, under one supreme Pontiflex Maximus, who, by statute, is Creator of the universe, God incarnate.

There can be no greater form of slavery. So, yes, there are religious, spiritual, and moral reasons to turn one's back on the flag when the "Pledge of Allegiance" is recited. And, yes, we are coming to a time when the truthful must be prepared for martyrdom.

come on there folk's, let's lighten-up a bit on our next Governor 22.Apr.2005 12:17

K. Minnis

and stop bashing her and her husband...they're doing the best they can!

Pledging allegiance to a flag is weird. 22.Apr.2005 12:31

especially an american flag.

I, too, had the words to that pledge engraved in my brain. I never really even thought about them. Now and then a kid would sit them out for religious reasons, and I would curiously glance at him or her, wondering what it could possibly have to do with religion. It wasn't until much later that I began to really think about those words. "I pledge allegiance to the flag...."

Even if the idea of American imperialism were not so horrifically entwined in that pledge (which it is), it would still be a bizarre spectacle -- watching people standing there with their hands on their hearts, gazing doe-eyed at a piece of cloth, and chanting in unison like that. Pledging allegiance to a flag. What does that even mean? Can you even have allegiance with a flag? That seems somehow unwholesome. Like having an unnatural relationship with your toothbrush or something.

But the creepiest thing of all is watching a room full of children mindlessly reciting that chant. Especially if one of them is your own. Only then does one really feel the impact, the utter inappropriateness of it all. Only then does the depth of the similarity between that ritual and any number of Nazi youth indoctrination rituals become abundantly clear.

My child does not repeat the pledge of allegiance. I talked to him about the chant, and what the words mean, before he started school. I let him know that it would be expected of him, and that I would support him if he chose not to do it. He actually had teachers challenge his refusal to participate, more times that I could have believed before going through that. It was very hard for him. At one point, he decided to stand and pretend to be repeating it, but not really saying anything. I could understand the decision, even if I would have preferred a stronger statement. As working class mama says, it can be hard to resist that kind of pressure. I still have difficulty when I'm in a crowd and the star spangled banner is suddenly sung. I do not feel moved to stand, to remove my hat, or to place my hand on my heart for that. But it's hard to deal with the glaring and nastiness. It must be much harder to go against that kind of social pressure in elementary school.

One year, my child decided to stand mutely during the pledge, but then loudly tack the words "except Amadu Diallo" onto the end, right after "with liberty and justice for all." Other times, he and a friend have made up their own "pledges," which they chanted quietly along with everyone else. These days, he's taken to sitting the whole thing out. It troubles me that grown people would even think about forcing this kind of thing onto children. If they feel that this weird ritual is important, then they should feel free to stand before the flag themselves each day and chant it. But they should not be allowed to foist this onto our children. I can't believe that the kids who choose to sit this out are the ones who are looked at as if they are from outer space. I can't believe that mindlessly droning these very suspect words every day is considered "normal" behavior.

I usually didn't go along with this when I was a kid 22.Apr.2005 15:37

why did everybody else?

I just realized most people don't know the story behind the photographs ...

The fact is, the Nazis weren't the only ones doing the strong-arm salute in large groups in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Evidence suggests America was first. The Nazis were, in fact, inspired by the EXAMPLE of American racism, both the enslavement of blacks and the genocide of the Indians. The "arms in the air, kids!" part was only deleted after World War II started.

G. Gordon Liddy mentioned once how he always wanted to stick his arm out when he said the "pledge." Lefties considered this evidence of his fascist tendencies (which were certainly there), but when he said that was how he learned it as a kid, he was telling the truth.

love America 22.Apr.2005 15:43

hate the world

Government is government. If worldwide government is too big and too powerful, so is any continental nation-state. If nation-states are okay, a global government would at least be less likely to fight wars with itself or to treat some people badly because they're "from somewhere else."

> One world government ...
> There can be no greater form of slavery.

America is a world government ... it's just not democratic. Examples of greater forms of slavery abound.

suggestion for an under the breath bioregionalist pledge? 22.Apr.2005 16:06

white rose

something to say to yourself during the fascist pledge:

"I pledge allegiance to the bioregion and to the many relationships it supports, and to the wider links it shares with others, one bioregion, indivisible, where my life is linked to the liberty and justice of all."

when did the pledge stop being part of everyday public school activity 22.Apr.2005 17:30

mom

i grew up saying the pledge everyday in Oregon public schools (1950's).
I stopped saying it on my own in late highschool and haven't said it since. I don't think it will hurt small children too young to know what they are saying and by the time junior high comes around children in thinking families will hopefully have covered the bases. (This does not mean I favor mandatory recitation --- it is just a comment on the futility of some forms of brainwashing.)
What I am curious about is why and when it stopped being mandatory and especially curious about what or who is behind the reenactment? Does anyone know?

Pledging Allegiance To A Flag IS Weird! 22.Apr.2005 20:03

Nagasaki

As was said above, pledging allegiance to a flag is in fact very weird.

I consider myself lucky enough to have lived outside the United Fascist States for nearly three years. In particular, I've lived in Scotland, which as a nation can be a fiercly patriotic group of people.

BUT - even though this is a patriotic country that is proud of its history, Scots find the sort of flag worship that goes on in the U.S. as very, very bizarre behaviour. And so does EVERYONE else.

The Scots don't worship flags.
The Dutch don't worship flags.
The French don't worship flags.
The Poles don't.
The Czechs don't either.
Neither do the Iranians.

Even Nikolai Ceacescu's Romania did not engage in flag worship and Ceacescu loved using symbols.

The Soviets didn't worship flags, despite being the great "evil empire".

The Taliban did not worship flags.

Neither do Saddam Huessein or Osama bin Laden.

The United States and Nazi Germany.

An idea .... 22.Apr.2005 20:54

~

Wouldn't it be a great show of opposition to this is if many people suddenly showed up in Salem and proceeded to torch HUNDREDS of American flags on the steps of the capitol building!

Wake 'em Up 22.Apr.2005 22:57

Bedouin

An "eternal flame" of flag burning--going 24/7/365. Call it a "vigil."

Bring this idolatry, promotion of mass hysteria and distraction from the real "burning" and substantive issues of the day to an end.

We are hurt by what we say. 22.Apr.2005 23:06

Lazy Faire

To the person who responded, "I don't think it will hurt small children too young to know what they are saying", I must say this is precisely the position I am arguing against.

It is the practice of not knowing what we are saying that leads to not knowing what we are doing. To trivialise what we say and do is the very definition of irresponsibility.

Were it not for the indoctrinations of the 40's 50's and 60's, there would surely have been more resistance to the crimes of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and this present era.

Re: Nagasaki 22.Apr.2005 23:59

dude w/puter

You said that:
"As far as I know, only two nations have ever sworn allegiance to flags (or made it a crime to defile them):

The United States and Nazi Germany"

Distracting 23.Apr.2005 04:12

another dude with another computer

Maybe it's an example of the indoctrination being discussed above.

Or maybe it's something else.

Maybe the straight arm salute means... 24.Apr.2005 07:22

Pravda or Consequences

that you get a "hard-on" doing the pledge. Just a little humor :)

1st dude w/1st computer 24.Apr.2005 11:59

re: other dude w/comp

"dude w/puter's comment is distracting. No one said you can burn a flag in a totalitarian country. But someone did say no other countries engage or have engaged in flag worship. Two different things, I think, and I want to know why (the fuck) someone always tries to make the same stupid point that dude w/puter seems to be trying to make; always trying to simplify and/or distract. "

I was just commenting on something I saw as inaccurate and not trying to take away from the article as a whole. It was just a commentary to a piece of commentary.

go back to watching Fox News 24.Apr.2005 18:13

thanks

"Only two countries practice flag worship" was at least speaking from experience. "Dude with computer" says somebody else's experiences are "inaccurate" simply because they don't jibe with his assumptions.

You don't get to call other people's statements "inaccurate" unless you've got more and better FACTS.

1st dude w/ a puter 24.Apr.2005 22:41

Nagasaki

1st dude w/ a puter wrote: "I would challenge you to go into a totalitarian nation and burn their flag and see if you get away with it. Your comments are interesting but an exaggeration because I doubt one can get away with burning the national flag in many countries."

Personally, I think it would be interesting to see which countries actually would let you get away with burning their flag.

For me, I've spent a couple of years in the UK, as well as quite alot of time in the Russian Federation and a couple of other countries in Eastern and Western Europe. I have quite a few friends in various parts of Europe, from different walks of life and very different backgrounds. From what I've seen/experienced personally, most Europeans tend to be very disturbed by the sort of flag worship that goes on in the U.S. simply because it reminds them of what went on in Nazi Germany (and later in their own countries when the Germans occupied them). Ultimately, coupled with Bu$h's cowboy activities in the Middle East, the United States and the popular Amerikan mentality scares the shit out of them because they feel the United States reminds them of 1930's Germany.

As far as I know, there is only one recent case outside the U.S. where a shit-storm erupted over a flag burning and that was in Greece after a few students burned Turkish flags to protest the visit of some Turkish officials to Greece. The Greek government got very upset over that and arrested the protesters for creating a disturbance. But, in this case, arrests seem to have been made not so much for the fact that a few flags were burned, but more so because the Greek government felt embaressed in front of their guests.

On the otherside, here in the UK, when Bu$h came here the last time (complete with a small invasion force in tow for his "personal protection"), protesters in cities all over the UK mainland burned both American and British flags. Nobody was arrested for flag desecration that day, or as far as I know, any other day and protesters here burn alot of British flags. That in a country which has essentially been the U.S.'s major partner in crime when Amerikans decide to go play shoot 'em up in some third world nation.

On the otherside, if someone were to pull a bunch of feathers out of the ravens in the Tower of London so that the birds could grow them them back and then fly away, the government here would probably hit back with everything they have available. (There is a popular superstition that claims that if the ravens leave the Tower, the UK will collapse. Hence they keep these bird's wings clipped).

As well, there have been protesters in quite a few countries in the Middle East who've torched the flags of their own countries and nothing seems to happen to them. But on the other hand, I'm sure, if they set fire to a copy of the Koran, people would lose their minds over it (and in Saudia Arabia, the protester may very well lose his head over it too).

In otherwords, other nations do have their symbols and they often will go to extremes to prevent their desecration, but viewing flags as "holy" seems to be an idea that has been held only by Amerikans and Nazi Germany. If I'm wrong and someone knows of some other country who is equally as nuts in that regard, hell, I'll admit I'm wrong, but as far as I know, those are the only two.

In the meantime, check out this well-done site on Flag Burning that has tons of information on the history of flag desecration and flag desecration laws:

Red Flag 26.Apr.2005 18:58

Egg

I have watched the olympics a few times, and as far as I can tell alot of the countries seemed to be pretty big into their flags. I think an interesting project would be to go to an international soccer game and burn one of the competing countries flags, I wonder what the reaction would be? And I'm not talking legal wise.

This can't be true. 27.May.2005 13:42

Ayla

How is this even legal? I thought the supreme court ruled that students couldn't be forced to recite the pledge if they didn't want to. Look up West Virginia Board of Education v Barnette (1943). It ruled that you couldn't force someone to say the pledge if it went against thier religion. Add that to the Tinker v Des Miones School District (1965). That case ruled that schools couldn't infringe upon free speech, in which it could be argued that refusing to stand for the pledge would be symbolic speech.

Pledge of Allegiance is Nazism & Swastika = S letters for "Socialism" 18.Mar.2007 05:28

Tinny Ray

Socialists in the USA originated the Nazi salute, robotic group-chanting to flags, Nazism, flag fetishism, and the modern swastika as "S" symbolism for "Socialism."  http://rexcurry.net/pledge2.html

Much of that history is the history of the Pledge Of Allegiance.  http://rexcurry.net/pledge-allegiance-pledge-allegiance.jpg Pledge Of Allegiance photographs expose America's terrifying past.

Those historical facts explain the enormous size and scope of government today, and the USA's growing police state. They are reasons for massive reductions in government, taxation, spending and socialism.

The "Nazi salute" is more accurately called the "American salute" as it was created and popularized by national socialists in the USA. It was the early salute of the Pledge of Allegiance. The Pledge was written by Francis Bellamy.  link to rexcurry.net Edward Bellamy and Francis Bellamy were self-proclaimed socialists in the Nationalism movement and they promoted military socialism.

They wanted the government to take over education and use it to spread their worship of government. When the government granted their wish, the government's schools imposed segregation by law and taught racism as official policy. The official racism and segregation was a bad example three decades before the National Socialist German Workers Party, and decades afterward.

The Pledge was mandated by law in government schools for three decades before, and through, the creation of the National Socialist German Workers' Party.  http://rexcurry.net/bellamy-edward-karl-marx.html

see photo of Pledge of Allegiance  http://rexcurry.net/USA-pledge-of-allegiance-rexcurrydotnet.jpg Pledge of Allegiance.

Many people do not know that the term "Nazi" means "National Socialist German Workers' Party." Members of the horrid group did not call themselves Nazis. In that sense, there was no Nazi Party. They also did not call themselves Fascists. They called themselves socialists, just as their name indicates.

The historian Dr. Rex Curry showed that the early Pledge Of Allegiance did not use an ancient Roman salute, and that the 'ancient Roman salute' myth came from the Pledge Of Allegiance." The discoveries have been reviewed and verified on wikipedia  http://rexcurry.net/roman-salute-metropolitan-museum-of-art.html

The original pledge was anti libertarian and began with a military salute that then stretched out toward the flag. In actual use, the second part of the gesture was performed with a straight arm and palm down by children casually performing the forced ritual chanting. Due to the way that both gestures were used sequentially in the pledge, the military salute led to the Nazi salute. The Nazi salute is an extended military salute via the USA's Pledge Of Allegiance.

Media coverage about the discoveries continues to grow  http://rexcurry.net/audio-rex-curry-podcast-radio.html

Fan mail for work exposing the Pledge's poisonous pedigree is at  http://rexcurry.net/pledge_heart.html

And listen at  http://odeo.com/audio/1747108/view

The Pledge's early salute caused quite a Fuhrer/furor. The dogma behind the Pledge was the same dogma that led to the socialist Wholecost (of which the Holocaust was a part): 62 million slaughtered under the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics; 49 million under the Peoples' Republic of China; 21 million under the National Socialist German Workers' Party. It was the worst slaughter of humanity ever.

People were persecuted (beatings, lynchings, etc) for refusing to perform robotic chanting to the national flag at the same time in government schools in the USA and Germany (to the American flag, and to the German swastika flag).

American socialists (Edward Bellamy teamed with the Theosophical Society) also bear some blame for the modern swastika  http://rexcurry.net/swastika3clear.jpg Swastikas became overlapping S-letters for "socialism," all shown in the research of the noted symbologist Dr. Rex Curry. Although the swastika was an ancient symbol, its use was altered to alphabetic symbolism in modern times.  http://rexcurry.net/swastika3clear.jpg Swastikas became overlapping S-letters for "socialism," all shown in the research of the noted symbologist Dr. Rex Curry. Although the swastika was an ancient symbol, its use was altered to alphabetic symbolism in modern times.  link to rexcurry.net

The bizarre acts in the USA began as early as 1875 and continued through the creation of the National Socialist German Workers' Party (German Nazis or NSGWP). American soldiers used the swastika symbol in WWI (against Germany) and the symbol was used by the American military during WWII.  http://rexcurry.net/45th-infantry-division-swastika-sooner-soldiers.html

The NSGWP had clear roots in National Socialism promoted by socialists in the USA. Amazing graphic images that prove the point are at  http://rexcurry.net/theosophy-madame-blavatsky-theosophical-society.html

The USA is still the worst example in the world of bizarre laws that require robotic chanting to a national flag in government schools (socialist schools) every day for 12 years. It has changed generations of Americans from libertarians to authoritarians. The government bamboozled individuals into believing that collective robotic chanting in government schools daily is a beautiful expression of freedom. Frightening photographs are at  http://rexcurry.net/pledge2.html