Salem Flag Cult Targets Kids
I pledge allegiance to the flag and the dollar of the United States Military Empire, and to the system of imperialism, exploitation and oppression for which they stand, one oligarchy, one priesthood, one security force over all, holding in bondage all lands, all people, all of nature as mere commodities to be used and discarded at will, with alienation, slavery, betrayal, corruption, hatred and fear for all.
One might have thought that the great social tyranny of the government in Washington D.C. did not extend too deeply into Oregon's political life. However this is only an illusion. The Oregon House of Representative has passed a bill requiring the recitation of the "Pledge of Allegiance" by students in public schools every day.
These corporate quisling republicans and quibbling liberals, who base their political careers on selling themselves to the highest bidders and addressing the people with meaningless slogans and sound bites, have the nerve to command us as to what, and in what manner, we shall devote our lives.
This is not a trivial matter. It is as if they had passed a proclamation supporting cannibalism, or enacted mandatory inoculation of all children with methamphetamines. It is an evil action.
Some of the reasons it is so wrong:
1) The "Pledge of Allegiance" is blatant idolatry. Idolatry is the offering of one's soul, one's free will, one's ability to choose, to an object, in this case a piece of cloth, in order to remove the burdens of making difficult decisions and facing life's challenges openly. Idolatry is an essential feature of American materialistic culture, which will bow down before any new convenience or product.
2) Much more than a symbol for a form of government or a nation, the flag is the banner and martial standard of the United States Military, a world-wide institution that guarantees by threats of violence primarily, but occasionally by brutal destruction and genocide, the perpetuation of the oppression of the people and the desecration of the earth. To pledge allegiance to such a thing is an antisocial act of betrayal against us, and against oneself.
3) This flag divides people. Though the pledge ends with the words, "for all", this is a lie. The actual pledge is to this one nation, this one republic, in separation from all others and all else. It is a chant of self-importance, superiority and enmity.
4) To put this flag before our children, to put these vile words in their mouths every day is an attempt to make them follow the evil path of idolatry, intimidation by violence and bigotry toward people of other lands. It is a corruption and a poison in their hearts.
5) Most of all, this bill by the foolish and cowardly men and women of the Oregon House is itself a brutal act of intimidation against our children. The essential lesson of the "Pledge of Allegiance" is that, "You, child, are a slave. Try to speak out against the tyranny of this system, and we will crush you like a foreigner, like an AWOL soldier, like a draft-dodger, like the whistle-blowers who lost their careers, like the unionists who were murdered, like the disappeared of Latin America, like Jesus Christ, like the Children of Falluja. Go ahead; pledge allegiance; your free will isn't worth much anyway."
This is what the "Pledge of Allegiance" really says:
I pledge allegiance to the flag and the dollar of the United States Military Empire,
and to the system of imperialism, exploitation and oppression for which they stand,
one oligarchy, one priesthood, one security force over all, holding in bondage all lands, all people, all of nature as mere commodities to be used and discarded at will,
with alienation, slavery, betrayal, corruption, hatred and fear for all.
Perhaps we should respond to this with a pledge of our own, because we have the ability to perceive, to think, to decide for ourselves what is important and worthy of allegiance in this world. It really does matter what we say; it really means something when we place our hand over our heart.
I pledge allegiance to the real earth, her living systems and all the people who dwell within her bower - not to any person's image, idol, song, theory, ideology or conception of her,
and to our true hopes for a just and abundant world community that protects all that is of value, and honors and exalts all creatures and all people,
one land, one people, one earth indivisible,
with liberty, justice, equality, fulfillment, righteousness and love for all.
contribute to this article
contribute to this article
add comment to discussion