SENATE BILL 889 WILL PREVENT ANY FUTURE GREYHOUND RACING IN THE STATE. Please contact ALL of the committee members listed below, and ask them to SUPPORT SB 889. Tell them that greyhound racing is cruel and inhumane, and should be outlawed.
Time is very short, so it is vital that you either call or e-mail right away. Below, you will find a list of talking points you can use as a general guide in writing your e-mail.
Please contact these Senators right away. The greyhounds need your help.
For the greyhounds,
Carey Theil & Christine Dorchak
PO Box 442117
Somerville, MA 02144
List of Senators to Contact
Senator Frank Shields
Senator Gary George
Senator Joanne Verger
Senator Vicki Walker
Senator Bruce Starr
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THESE TALKING POINTS NOT BE COPIED WORD FOR WORD; PLEASE SUBMIT AN E-MAIL WITH YOUR OWN THOUGHTS.
- Greyhound racing is cruel and inhumane, and should be outlawed.
- Every year, thousands of greyhounds are killed when they are no longer profitable as racers.
- While at the racetrack, greyhounds are individually caged for up to 22 hours each day, and many are seriously injured while competing.
- Neighboring states Idaho, Washington, and Nevada have all outlawed greyhound racing.
- Greyhound racing proponents have publicly stated that they are looking for alternative locations for a dog track.
- Passing Senate Bill 889 will prevent the introduction of a low-end dog track in Oregon. The introduction of a new dog track in Oregon would inevitably lead to widespread animal cruelty.
- Because greyhound racing no longer exists in Oregon, it does not make sense to keep these statutes on the books.