newswire article announcements portland metro

human & civil rights | political theory

Quickly

Sorry I could not write a long article right now, but currently, there is a protest at pioneer square.
About 50 Tibetans are protesting for the freedom of Tibet in Pioneer square. I do not know if they will march or when they will leave so everyone that believes in the freedom of Tibet should leave right now. I will be there, and I hope you will to. It is 12 right now, so make your lunch break at pioneer square. Bring cameras if you can!
I have always 10.Mar.2005 14:19

wondered

what the world needs... 10.Mar.2005 18:27

asdf

Just what the world needs right now...another theocracy

Tibet 101... 10.Mar.2005 18:50

Snazmo

Since folks seem a bit in the dark about "Free Tibet" here are the basics:

1. Tibet for thousands of years was it's own country, or theocracy. It is in fact separate from China, far to the west of mainland China, isolated high in the Himalayan mountains' Tibet Plateau.

2. Tibet has a lineage of Dali Lama's who rule Tibet. It is an ancient religious monarchy.

3. Tibet has always been peaceful to China, and to it's other neighboring countries.

4. In the 1950's the Chinese military invaded Tibet, and began a brutal occupation of Tibet. The Chinese military machine gunned all resistors, machine gunned centuries old monastaries, and machine gunned precious ancient religious symbols in monasteries. Tibetan monks were apprehended, tortured and summarily executed. The official Chinese communist government line is "religion is illegal in a communist state", therefore Tibetan Buddhism should be eliminated. It is for this reason that the entire government of Tibet is now in exile in India.

5. China considers Tibet "part of the motherland", and uses this propaganda argument whenever it invades or claims outright ownership of neighboring areas and cities. Recent examples include Hong Kong, and of course Taiwan.

6. China is trying to eliminate Tibetan culture, religion, and art in Tibet by relocating Chinese people in Tibet by the thousands. Tibet is rapidly becoming "China-ized", e.g. losing its unique culture and heritage. Many Tibetans over the past several decades have fled Tibet to live in exile in other sympathetic countries such as India, France, and the United States. There is a large Tibetan monastery in Boulder, Colorado for example where hundreds of Tibetan exiles are living in asylum.

7. So why "Free Tibet"? Because the invasion and occupation and genocide of an entire people's country, like the Chinese are doing to Tibet, is morally and ethically repugnant. Invading, occupying and murdering a country's inhabitants (kinda like what we are doing in Iraq right now), is not a nice or neighborly thing to do. Tibet should be left alone by the Chinese government: Tibet should be FREE of Chinese interference!

I hope this brief overview helps the readers better understand now why "Free Tibet" is a very serious in important matter.

FREE TIBET!!!!!

CHINESE COMMIES OUT OF TIBET!!!!

get a cl 10.Mar.2005 18:53

quizzy

...that's half a clue. It's Tibetan Uprising Day and Portland's Tibetans are down there every year on this date. Their theocracy sounded a hell of a lot better than what the Chinese offered them. Or are there still apologists for the Glorious Peoples' Cultural Revolution lurking on this site? Do we need to talk about the rudeness of invading other folks' countries and killing and torturing them?

Well put 10.Mar.2005 20:38

Ben

Today, I went down to pioneer square and tried to have shops make a donation of food for my school. I was surprized to see about 50 Tibetans in pioneer square protesting for Tibets freedom. Seeing that Indymedia had nothing about it, I decided to run back to the school, make a post, and then run back to the protest. I later found out that it was Tibetan upraising day. The reason why I went to this protest is because I did a large report on Tibet. Tibetans are everything we believe in. They believe in peace, they are not violent, and they can voice their opinion. I believe in peace. I just don't see how America is so willing to "free" Iraq when we won't even lend our voices for Tibet. Hmm, could it be that Iraq has oil and Tibet doesn't? That is a different issue. Well put asdf. Tibetans will never use violent means to get what they want. They believe in peace, and I believe that everyone should support their right to be free from such horrible conditions. They are not allowed to practice their religion, and China has taken all of their rights away from them. I do not see how anyone could be in favor of China's takeover. Do some research everyone. You think that the Iraq war is bad, find out what is happening in Tibet.

What is with me today 10.Mar.2005 20:39

Ben

Sorry, I don't look over my comments as much as I should. I accidently said well put asdf, when I meant to say well put snazmo. Sorry.

A More Specific Addendum Reply to "Wondered" on "why free Tibet thing". 10.Mar.2005 22:55

Snazmo

First let me thank and encourage Ben. Ben was proactive enough to get the word out on Portland Indy about it being "Tibetan Uprising" day. Kudos to Ben!

I was reading over the initial posting again by "Wondered" and thought I would add a brief addendum to my first posting. She questions as follows-

"with the whole "free Tibet" thing, just exactly who is it that's being addressed when folks say that? I mean, I'm all for a people being autonomous but I don't know about this Tibet thing in terms of what the message is, who are we telling this to, this cry of free Tibet? The U.S. has nothing to do with Tibet being controlled by the Chinese, or does it?

I dunno, it's just all very unclear to me. Apart from a symbolic show of solidarity with the people of that country, what can we do about the fact that Tibet is over-run with Chinese soldiers? Whatever the case may be, I want to know who it is that's being told to "free Tibet"? What are the Tibetans doing about their situation?"

The above are very good questions, actually. The obvious should not be presumed or taken for granted. We all benefit from reviewing fundamentals from time to time. Getting to the point: when there are "free Tibet" events as now, the fact that we are not in Tibet or China does not matter. Human rights and States' rights are global, or universal. No parts of the world are exempt from these rights: China's "internal affairs" are in fact the world's affairs. We MUST care and speak up when a smaller country such as Tibet is violated and literally stolen by China. It obviously makes a far stronger impact on China when there are demonstrations in numerous major cities worldwide. This way they can't pass off that people only in China or Tibet care about this invasion and occupation. Think of the massive demonstrations that follow Bush wherever he goes worldwide: these massive anti-Bush demonstrations really adversely impact Bush more than you can imagine. They Bush team must constantly deal with the fact that wherever they go, they will have to deal with people who despise them and their policies, and they may face HUGE demonstrations! They cannot get away with their misdeeds by just brainwashing the US public (through the mainstream media). The world knows and does not approve. In the same vein, the 'Free Tibet' demonstrations impact the Chinese government. They DO care who is watching, and are assessing awareness of this ongoing invasion globally.

As to whether the US has influence over the Tibet issue, YES it does! Huge influence. But our crappy corporate US federal government is owned and occuptied by corporate america, so since basically all our manufacturing and computer programming jobs have moved to China, our government is more than happy to "look the other way" and not say anything about Tibet. Far too much money is now being made setting up corporate America in China! Or, in other words, thousands of jobs formerly held by fellow Americans are now being assumed by Chinese at a far lower rate of pay! Corporate america does not want this arrangement to stop any time soon, so of course they are pressuring their flunkies in the Senate and in Congress to say nothing about Tibet! Scumbags.

Anyways I hope this final installment helps clarify why Tibet IS a concern for folks in USA, or anywhere for that matter. As the old saying goes: "We stand together or we can all hang separately".

Snazmo

Again with the question 10.Mar.2005 22:56

wondered

I understand all of the reasons why someone would want a free Tibet from the Chinese occupation, that part is easy to understand. What I wanted to know was, who are we addressing when we say "FREE TIBET!"? I have always thought of it as a demand, like someone is demanding that Tibet be freed (which is a fine thing to want). Well then, to whom is this demand being made, to the Chinese perhaps? Why should they listen to us?

What really are ppl here in Amerika supposed to do about Tibet, we can't even throw the yoke off our backs from our government here? I just wanted to know what in hell we're supposed to do about it apart from saying the words "free Tibet", how then will we ever really manage to free Tibet?

Perhaps some of the wealthy Tibetan folks would like to bankroll a resistance movement here in fascist Amerika, you know, maybe help us a bit with a budget for our own revolution here? Seems like we could really help to free Tibet if we could just get this nasty U.S. war machine out of the picture once and for all. Until fascist Amerika is destroyed there's not much else to be doing besides trying to bring down the empire as much as anyone can.

Cool, thanks Snazmo! 10.Mar.2005 23:05

wondered

Nevermind my last post then, seems you've answered it.

Addendum to Addendum 10.Mar.2005 23:24

Snazmo

WHO are you addressing when you say "free Tibet'?: EVERYBODY. When there is a demonstration on any issue, the point of the demonstration is to RAISE AWARENESS. If you have a big demonstration downtown, with a float and banners and all the trimmings, people in offices, stores, on the sidewalk, etc. all look at the demonstration and take notice: "What is it all about?" they wonder. Then they go and find out and talk with others...and so more and more people learn about the issue via demonstrating. It basically is political marketing. And in this day and age, marketing is CRITICAL to success. You are getting more people aware of the issue. When more and more people know the truth about an issue, they can influence government policy collectively and get China to negotiate Tibet's future autonomy.

I might also add that when anybody is saying "free Tibet" it is plainly obvious they are addressing the Chinese government! Think!

Snazmo

FREE IRAQ 11.Mar.2005 05:33

saddam

Maybe we can convince george to invade tibet. not enough oil. oh well, FREE TIBET. I feel bad for them, and thank you for the posting, but I've got other problems with my gov., not the chinese. I wonder if the tibetans are protesting to the chinese...FREE AMERIKKA! They probably have some problems of their own to worry about.