portland independent media center  
images audio video
newswire article commentary global

imperialism & war

shooting of Giuliana Sgrena

The Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena was shot at by US troops during her rescue.
One Italinan was killed protecting her. Was this an 'accident'?
She had written articles telling the truth about the US. Check them out (written in English)with the link provided at ilmanifesto
First story is from the Guardian in London. Dont wait for the US press!
US troops kill rescuer as Italian hostage is plucked to safety in Iraq
Rory Carroll in Baghdad, John Hooper in Rome and Sam Jones
Saturday March 5, 2005
American soldiers in Iraq opened fire on a car carrying an Italian journalist who had just been freed by kidnappers last night, injuring the woman and killing an Italian secret service agent who tried to protect her.
Joy and relief in Italy at the release of Giuliana Sgrena, who had been held hostage for a month, quickly curdled to despair and anger after the car taking her to the airport was fired on by US forces, who apparently thought they were under attack.

rest of report at

Life and Death
Gabriele Polo
A few minutes, that is how long our joy lasted. The time which goes from a phone call to another: the one telling us of Giuliana's freedom and the one which throws us into the killing of the person who more than anybody else worked to free her. Fifteen, maximum twenty minutes, the time to save one life and lose another. Within the absurdity of a war in which we all risk to get lost.
Sure, we are happy to be able to soon hug Giuliana, to be able to have her back with us, to go back and listen to and read her stories of peace. We owe it to what we have done in this very long month. All of us: we of il manifesto, the colleagues who helped us keep the attention on this abduction alive, the many people who with a phone call, a letter, or by coming to the streets kept the presence of our comrade alive even while she was forced to be silent. But we also owe it to those who worked night and day to find a contact with the kidnappers, to reach an agreement. People who are different from us, who speak a different language and uses different means. Yet with some of them we have been united with a common aim: to bring home a woman deprived of her freedom and to do it though a negotiation, not through those weapons which are the root of evil which for thirty days has taken Giuliana away from us. After those 15, 20 minutes of joy, last night we fell into a live drama. We are journalists and we must tell the story, but do not ask of us to be detached as a reporter should be.
rest of story at
Yet Another Friendly Fire Target 06.Mar.2005 01:37


"The American Military Didn't Want Her to Get Out Alive" 06.Mar.2005 09:47

Union of Lone Gunmen Local #13

Italian reporter's companion tells press
Americans hoped she'd be killed

Written by Mark Jensen

The web site of TF1, France's most popular television
network, reported Saturday that as Giuliani Sgrena
returned to Rome Saturday morning, her companion told
the press that "the American military didn't want her
to get out alive" because she was in possession of
information embarrassing to the United States.[1] --
The common joy at her liberation quickly degenerated
into a political confrontation in Italy, whose
population has never been in favor of the government's
support for military intervention in Iraq. -- An
earlier report from Libération (Paris) evoked the
"confusion" in Rome Friday night as news of the tragedy
reached Italians.[2] ...


[Translated from the web site of TF1]



** Pier Scolari, the companion of the Italian reporter
liberated Friday in Iraq, says that American soldiers
had been informed about that the car heading for the
Baghdad airport was passing through. Giuliana Sgrena
was wounded and the leader of the team of Italian
special forces accompanying her was killed. Italy is
demanding an explanation from the United States **

TF1 March 5, 2005


After relief mixed with sadness comes polemic. Pier
Scolari, Italian reporter Giuliana Sgrena's companion,
said Saturday that "the American military didn't want
her to get out alive" because she had information
embarrassing to the United States. When she was taken
hostage last Feb. 4, the reporter was preparing an
article on refugees from Fallujah who had taken shelter
in a Baghdad mosque following American bombing of the
Sunni bastion.


Giuliana Sgrena, 56, was freed Friday evening after a
month of captivity. But on the road to the Baghdad
airport, her car was fired upon by American soldiers.
The journalist was wounded, and Nicola Calipari, 51,
the head of the team of Italian special forces
accompanying her, was killed. According to Pier
Scolari, "The Americans and the Italians had been
advised the car was coming through. They were 700
meters from the airport, which means they'd gone
through all the checkpoints."

A "rain of fire" hit the car "at the very moment when I
was talking to Nicola Calipari," she said by telephone
to the TV station RaiNews24 from the Celio military
hospital, were she was taken after her return to Rome
at morning's end. "We weren't going very fast, given
the circumstances. . . . The firing continued. The
driver couldn't even explain that we were Italian,"
added the journalist. "The whole fusillade was heard
live by the Council presidency, which was on the phone
with one of the members of the special forces. Then the
American soldiers confiscated and shut off the cell
phones," added Pier Scolari.


Carlo Ciampi, the head of state, demanded an
explanation from Washington. "Like all Italians, we are
waiting for clarification from the United States on
this painful tragedy," he announced Saturday morning.
It was clear that Carlo Ciampi found inadequate the
regrets expressed Friday evening by President George W.
Bush in a five-minute telephone conversation with
Silvio Berlusconi.

"The president has every reason to demand an
explanation, because the United States is responsible
for the death of Nicola Calipari. The only thing to do
now is to withdraw our troops from Iraq," said Fausto
Berinotti, the secretary general of the Party for
Communist Refoundation. The incident, attributed to
"destiny" by Gianfranco Fini, the head of Italian
diplomacy, has degenerated into a new confrontation
over the Italian military presence in Iraq between the
left opposition and the right, which is in power. And
it brought back to the surface anti-American
resentment, which has often been expressed since
President Bush's decision to intervene militarily in


Wounded, tired, but free, the Italian ex-hostage was
taken, as soon as she returned to Rome Saturday
morning, to a military hospital for treatment. Her
shoulder in a sling, the journalist walked down the
ramp leaning on two people, one of whom was her
companion Pier Scolari, who had gone to retrieve her in
a Falcon 900 lent by the Italian government. Many
colleagues, political figures like Silvio Berlusconi,
the president of the Italian Council, and the chiefs of
the Italian special forces also went to Ciampino on
Saturday. "They never mistreated me," she said of her
captors to colleagues from the newspaper Il Manifesto,
who had come to greet her. "The hardest moment was when
I saw the person who had saved me die in my arms," she
said to Pier Scolari, her companion.


[Translated from Libération (Paris)]

Top Stories



Libération (Paris) March 5, 2005


ROME -- Released on Friday, exactly one month after her
kidnapping on Feb. 4 in the center of Baghdad, the
daily Il Manifesto's special correspondent Giuliana
Sgrena was wounded by American fire several hours after
her liberation. The chief of the Italian special forces
team in Iraq, Nicola Calipari, who was with her, was
killed. As the Italian soldiers were on their way from
the Iraqi capital to the airport, where a military
plane was waiting to take her straight back to Rome, a
barrage of American soldiers opened fire on the convoy.
In addition to the officer killed, another Italian
soldier was wounded, and Giuliana Sgrena was shot in
the shoulder. She was taken to the emergency room of an
American hospital in Baghdad.

In Italy Friday evening, the greatest confusion reigned
concerning these events, in particular concerning the
hail of bullets. Toward the end of the afternoon, Al
Jazeera television announced the freeing of Giuliana
Sgrena, of whom no news had been received since Feb.
16, when a videocassette was broadcast in which,
visibly distraught, she asked several times, in tears,
for the Italian contingent to be withdrawn from Iraq.
Since then, the mysterious "Mujahideen Without
Borders," an organization not heretofore known, had
given no further sign. But the government pursued
negotiations on the sidelines. Friday evening, in a
videorecording recorded by her kidnappers and broadcast
by Al Jazeera, Giuliana Sgrena, in a black dress before
a basket of fruit, said only that her captors "had
kidnapped her because they were determined to free
their land of occupation," and specifying that she had
been well treated.


A few minutes after the broadcast of the news of the
liberation by Al Jazeera, Il Manifesto, informed by the
council presidency, confirmed the news of her
liberation, as did the head of state, Carlo Azeglio
Ciampi, who, just last Wednesday, had issued a solemn
appeal: "Free Giuliana and Florence Aubenas, their
liberation would be a good thing for everyone and above
all for the future of Iraq."

Throughout Italy, which since Feb. 4 had intensely
mobilized to demand that the hostages be liberated, in
particular by means of a gigantic demonstration on Feb.
19 in the streets of Rome, the news caused a genuine
moment of euphoria, with Italy's political class
unanimously hailing the dénouement. As a sign of
celebration, Rome's mayor, Walter Veltroni, announced
that the Coliseum would be lit all night.
Simultaneously, Gabriele Polo, editor-in-chief of Il
Manifesto, was received by Council President Silvio
All Hail Dear Leader
All Hail Dear Leader